Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

I have talked to a few Sabres fans and they say the Pegula's don't give a flying f about the hockey team. All of their energy is put into the Bills and none of it is on the Sabres.

I don't want to believe that. It all comes down to just getting the right hockey guy to run the Sabres organization. And they haven't done that yet..

Botterill needs to go.  He is awful.  Nothing redeeming.  The sooner the better.

Mike milbury, tim murray, buddy nix, russ brandon, marv levy were never going to build a winner if given time.  Take the garbage out to the curb.  

Changing management doesnt mean a 5 year rebuild reset.  Plenty of teams get things going in 1 or 2 years with the right decision maker(s).  

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, Helpmenow said:

Murray is laughing his ass off.

In the same way an arsonist does?

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I have talked to a few Sabres fans and they say the Pegula's don't give a flying f about the hockey team. All of their energy is put into the Bills and none of it is on the Sabres.

I don't want to believe that. It all comes down to just getting the right hockey guy to run the Sabres organization. And they haven't done that yet..

I don't think that is true at all.  They made consecutive hires of an arrogant moron followed by a nice guy who is a moron.  They need to better with the next hire but I believe they want to win.

• Like (+1) 1

What a pathetic effort. Once they got down 2-0 it was like they started feeling sorry for themselves or something. They didn’t snap out of it until they scored in the 3rd period to make it 2-1, then suddenly they woke up and started giving a full effort again. Where was the urgency before that? Maybe if they had given that type of effort the entire game, they wouldn’t have been down by 2.

Detroit hadn’t won a road game since Dec. 13th. They hadn’t even scored a goal in over 4 games ffs!

I am so done with so many players on this team. They are so damn fragile. They need some Major changes.

Edited by BillsFan4

I mean, there isnt much they can do at this point. Fans should absolutely, not be going to games any more. But there are only 4 or 5 forwards under contract next year. None of the expiring contracts should he renewed. Not sure why botterill resigned everybody last year. That really concerns me this offseason to. 

11 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I mean, there isnt much they can do at this point. Fans should absolutely, not be going to games any more. But there are only 4 or 5 forwards under contract next year. None of the expiring contracts should he renewed. Not sure why botterill resigned everybody last year. That really concerns me this offseason to. 

herein lies the issue.

While they have plenty of cap room, they only really have a couple of trade assets...Sammy, Risto, Olufsson, Montour, Lazar.. ...who else ya got to be traded? 

Crazy thing is Lazar is prolly the one guy who i think they best not trade..that dude has a role on a good team

So then it goes to free agency..which we all know is never a way to build a hockey team for any kind of success...and goes all against what we have heard for 3 years from Bots that he is gonna build from the draft.

So dispiriting, i just see no way out of this mess Bots has created...nothing in Rochester to get excited about at the moment either unless i am missing something.

Trade anything you can i guess at the deadline outside the guys mentioned above, those have to be a hockey trade in the summer no doubt. But Gus for a 5th? Done!

Well, I'm going to the game tonight.  I've got the tickets so I might as well use 'em.

I'm really only half interested.  I want to see Jack and Dahlin (I hope he's playing tonite) in person, and the Garden is a good place to see a hockey game.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, snafu said:

Well, I'm going to the game tonight.  I've got the tickets so I might as well use 'em.

I'm really only half interested.  I want to see Jack and Dahlin (I hope he's playing tonite) in person, and the Garden is a good place to see a hockey game.

Enjoy the outing.  Stop by Tracks bar on 31st across the street.  The owner is a huge Bills fan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GG said:

Enjoy the outing.  Stop by Tracks bar on 31st across the street.  The owner is a huge Bills fan.

I was going to try to get in a little early.  There's a hand-rolled cigar place in 28th, I think.  Maybe there first and then a snort at Tracks before I head in.  I have one of my kids coming in from Massachusetts and we are meeting at the Garden.  If she makes it in early, I will tell her to meet me there.

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

herein lies the issue.

While they have plenty of cap room, they only really have a couple of trade assets...Sammy, Risto, Olufsson, Montour, Lazar.. ...who else ya got to be traded? 

Crazy thing is Lazar is prolly the one guy who i think they best not trade..that dude has a role on a good team

So then it goes to free agency..which we all know is never a way to build a hockey team for any kind of success...and goes all against what we have heard for 3 years from Bots that he is gonna build from the draft.

So dispiriting, i just see no way out of this mess Bots has created...nothing in Rochester to get excited about at the moment either unless i am missing something.

Trade anything you can i guess at the deadline outside the guys mentioned above, those have to be a hockey trade in the summer no doubt. But Gus for a 5th? Done!

We have more tradeable pieces than what you list, but they are minor pieces.

I think we could see the likes of Girgensons and Larsson go at the trade deadline, for example, but not much is going to come back.  Those guys have value to the right team looking to make a playoff run, however. 

Among significant trade assets to try and re-shape the core of the team, I only see Reinhart and (I think) Risto.  I think Risto still has some trade value around the league, but probably not nearly as much as Botterill thinks he should have, which is probably why he hasn't been moved by now.

Reinhart would have a lot of value--or should--but I'm not sure I'd want to move him.  Not unless you think you can get his productivity back and more in the trade.  Trading him to only get someone back like him who you hope will match his production doesn't make sense.  We would need more to the deal than that.  I don't trust Botterill to orchestrate that level of trade.

The development cupboard is pretty bare right now.  I think we should be getting excited about Cozens, but he's still a child and years away from making a major contribution at the national league level.

I think Mittelstadt is likely a bust, but the jury is still out on him.  He could still pull it together.

There are those that suggest the team is just a few pieces away from being much better;  I am not one of those people.  The prognosis for the next few years remains bleak.

This is a team that when it plays a conservative and responsible defensive game can compete with everyone. That is not to say that they are better or will win. And it is clear that this isn't a playoff team. This game that I watched yesterday (switching back and forth from the Wizard's NBA game) demonstrated how under Krueger this is a much more determined and resilient team. The Sabres were playing on a back to back and they traveled to a team that was rested. I thought that overall we were the more energetic team. 

As was witnessed in the Detroit game the Sabres are capable of losing to one of the worst teams in the league when they play a loose defensive game. And what was shown in the Ranger game when we get good goaltending and play a tighter brand of hockey we can play with the better teams. 

I don't see any major trade deals being made during the season that will change the dynamic/reality/limitations of this roster. It wouldn't surprise me if a more significant deal or two will be made in the offseason when these type of deals are usually made.

A couple of observations in this game: I thought that Hutton played well. Vesey seems to be playing better. And Miller shooting more adds to our limited offensive play. 

To the snickering and panicking crowd here I will continue to say what I have been saying: For the most part stay the course. Don't be afraid to make deals but don't act out of desperation. This offseason we will have plenty of cap space to re-sign Reinhart to a well deserved lucrative deal and still have cap space to add some beneficial pieces. 

The below WGR link is Krueger's post game comments. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-7-ralph-krueger-post-game