Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just now, suorangefan4 said:

You're happy someone lost their job and something they loved over this bullcrap PC nonsense? Shows how low you are just like every other leftist.

Funny how white people have to walk on eggshells on what they say but liberal white people and minorities can label white people nazis or call them rednecks in a racially charged way etc.

Wayne Brady on Let's Make a Deal constantly mocks the way white people (rednecks) talk. He skates free of course with no backlash at all. Now imagine a white person making the way a minority talked. They'd be fired within seconds. The PC rules only apply to white people. Minorities and self loathing white people can say whatever they want about white people. This world is disgusting.

Insert Heath Ledger and here we go gif

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Grapes is finally, thankfully, fired

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28059815/hockey-icon-don-cherry-fired-immigrant-comments

never understood his appeal, total tool in my mind

When Don said “you people” was he only referring to immigrants not wearing poppies or is he also including non immigrants who don’t wear the poppies as well?  I mean, without poppies, it’s almost impossible to figure out exactly who is disrespecting veterans and being non appreciative of their sacrifices.

Although, when I was last up in Fort Erie, I didn’t see anyone wearing poppies, so I assume they’re all being disrespectful up there?

Edited by K-9

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

When Don said “you people” was he only referring to immigrants not wearing poppies or is he also including non immigrants who don’t wear the poppies as well?  I mean, without poppies, it’s almost impossible to figure out exactly who is disrespecting veterans and being non appreciative of their sacrifices.

Although, when I was last up in Fort Erie, I didn’t see anyone wearing poppies, so I assume they’re all being disrespectful up there?

His full quote (most places are using ellipses to replace parts of it) was -

“I live in Mississauga. Nobody wears, very few people, wear a poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it. Downtown Toronto nobody wears a poppy…

“Now you go to the small cities and you know, the rows on rows.

You people love — that come here — you love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”

saying “you people that come here” leaves little doubt for me that he was referring to immigrants.

Mentioning Toronto and Mississauga, 2 of the most diverse Canadian cities, also makes it clear who he was referring to IMO. As of 2016, 51% of Toronto is made up of visible minorities. Where as the smaller Canadian cities he mentions tend not to be diverse at all. 

Edit - I think you also have to consider Don Cherry’s long history of xenophobic remarks. He’s made no secret of his distaste for immigrants over his long career. These are not even his worst comments. I was actually a bit surprised that he got fired seeing as he’s said worse in the past. But I guess this was just the final straw that broke the camels back...

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

“I live in Mississauga. Nobody wears, very few people, wear a poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it. Downtown Toronto nobody wears a poppy…

You people love — that come here — you love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”

saying “you people that come here” leaves little doubt for me that he was referring to immigrants.

Mentioning Toronto and Mississauga, 2 of the most diverse Canadian cities, also makes it clear who he was referring to IMO. As of 2016, 51% of Toronto is made up of visible minorities. Where as the smaller Canadian cities he mentions tend not to be diverse at all. 

That segment of the population represents a huge marketing demographic that advertisers tap into. It’s no wonder that a mass media company that relies on ad dollars for revenues would make the decision to let go someone who denigrates it on a national stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Edit - I think you also have to consider Don Cherry’s long history of xenophobic remarks. He’s made no secret of his distaste for immigrants over his long career. These are not even his worst comments. I was actually a bit surprised that he got fired seeing as he’s said worse in the past. But I guess this was just the final straw that broke the camels back...

The more perplexing issue is how did this dinosaur ignoramus last so long on the public hockey stage. He has a right to his beliefs and to express them. That's not the issue here. What is so surprising is that he was allowed to spew his ugly impulses on the stage provided by the NHL and NHL media structure. While the league has striven to stretch its presence around the world  with an expanded player pool of players from all over the world this retrograde clown was ferociously clinging to the nativist past.  

Don Cherry is who he is. He represents a resistant faction of the population. However, he was given the grand platform by the league and its media tentacles. And he used his megaphone to espouse beliefs that went contrary to what the NHL was promoting.  No one can challenge the authenticity of the grizzly former coach who weirdly wears clown outfits. It's the league's judgment that needs to be called to task. This extended association made little sense for the past generation.  The league and its corporate realm are the ones who look foolish for keeping him in their sphere for so long.  

Edited by JohnC

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He lives in one town and broadcasts out of the other.  I'm not so sure that mentioning them means that he's specifically targeting the populations of those two cities.  What's going on there is what he sees regularly in his daily life.

I'm only going off of what you quoted since I really have no interest in diving too deeply into this one.  I really don't care too much about what is said on a program that I don't even have access to.  So yeah, I trust you when you say he mentioned other areas, but I've only seen what you quoted above.  Mentioning those two towns seems pretty logical to me.

The below link is a 14 minute segment with Paul Hamilton on WGR. The focus of the discussion is whether the Sabres should make a trade to increase the scoring. Hamilton vigorously says that something needs to be done, and if it includes Risto then so be it. I have gone back and forth on this issue especially with respect to Risto. To state the obvious it all comes down to what is the return. As others have pointed out the situation we are in is basically the same as the situation we were in last year. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/11-12-paul-hamilton-howard-and-jeremy

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a 14 minute segment with Paul Hamilton on WGR. The focus of the discussion is whether the Sabres should make a trade to increase the scoring. Hamilton vigorously says that something needs to be done, and if it includes Risto then so be it. I have gone back and forth on this issue especially with respect to Risto. To state the obvious it all comes down to what is the return. As others have pointed out the situation we are in is basically the same as the situation we were in last year. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/11-12-paul-hamilton-howard-and-jeremy

Yep. We still have the same hodgepodge of interchangeable middle and bottom six wingers that is scoring challenged. In October, the analytics suggested that this year was not a fluke as compared to the streak last season. But all those indicators have shifted drastically in the last half dozen games or so. Puck possession drivers especially. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. We still have the same hodgepodge of interchangeable middle and bottom six wingers that is scoring challenged. In October, the analytics suggested that this year was not a fluke as compared to the streak last season. But all those indicators have shifted drastically in the last half dozen games or so. Puck possession drivers especially. 

The numbers are positive during a short period of winning and they're negative during a short period of losing.  There's a shocker.  People need to stop viewing this stuff in isolation.

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

The numbers are positive during a short period of winning and they're negative during a short period of losing.  There's a shocker.  People need to stop viewing this stuff in isolation.

If I recall correctly, little about the numbers were positive during the streak last year. Out of this world goaltending, three on three dominance, and puck luck were the drivers; not the analytics that indicate you have a good team. 

And yeah, I get that small sample sizes like our October taken in isolation aren’t much of an indicator, either. But that wasn’t the point. The point was to simply show that the numbers this year vs. last year during the streak, were supporting the idea that our start wasn’t fluky. 

My other point is that our recent regression is concerning. To say the least. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

Don Cherry is a nativist who couldn't adjust to the changing world. For people like him looking back was more comforting than dealing with the present and future. There is nothing new about a person like him and his backward world view. They have always existed. America probably has a higher percentage of people who fall in those "back in the old days" devotees than Canada has. You will never change the attitude of this hardcore faction. You just have to work around them. 

...he's as crazy today as he was back in his playing days for the Rochester Americans as well as his HC stint there.....a bunch of us were close friends with Bob Malcolm and we used to get the inside "Grapes stories".......OMG.....

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he's as crazy today as he was back in his playing days for the Rochester Americans as well as his HC stint there.....a bunch of us were close friends with Bob Malcolm and we used to get the inside "Grapes stories".......OMG.....

I wonder if people are actually surprised by this.  The guy has been showing this breed of crazy on TV for close to 40 years.  He didn't just suddenly become that way one day.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I'm not surprised with anything you said about him from an insider view. The problem is that the some of the views that were outlandish a generation or so ago are doubly so outlandish in a world that is constantly changing. The world evolves and some people are so stuck in the past that they can't adjust to the new realities of life. I'm not suggesting that he is a bad guy or has bad intentions but I am saying that these types of troglodytes are a bore and are tiresome. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

The lack of enough scoring distribution has plagued this team for quite a while. It is certainly not a short term issue. What makes this problem even more ominous is that although we have good players in the system there is little immediate help within the system to address this issue. 

I have been reluctant to deal Risto because he is one of the few defenders among a lot of good finesse defenders who is a physical player. Depending on the return I'm more open to trading him. If anyone accuses me of being an equivocator on this issue I will openly say that it is a fair judgment of me. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Definitely comes down to the return for me. Risto is probably our last big trade chip left. I don’t want to see them cash him in out of desperation and take a lesser return just because they feel like they need to do something. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Definitely comes down to the return for me. Risto is probably our last big trade chip left. I don’t want to see them cash him in out of desperation and take a lesser return just because they feel like they need to do something. 

If Winnipeg called and offered a trade of Ehlers for Risto would you take it? 

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a Paul Hamilton column about our roster and its obvious scoring deficiency. His basic point is that the roster mix of perimeter players is mostly the same. His conclusion is unless GM addresses changing the mix of players the outcome will continue to be the same. (His column is a little longer than his standard brief columns.) 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/sabres-are-losing-some-familiar-reasons

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

If Winnipeg called and offered a trade of Ehlers for Risto would you take it? 

Yes. He is a sure thing. He’s a top 6 forward right now, maybe even top line. He drives play. He’s young (a year younger than Risto iirc) and he’s under a nice contract ($6M cap hit) for 5 more seasons after this one. 

Ehlers is one of the players I’ve desired in return for Ristolainen for a while now (Mantha being another). 

Buffalo would have to send more cap back to make the trade work though (not much). 

I’d even consider expanding the trade to include Scandella for Perreault or something along those lines. Not crazy about there being 1 more year on Perreault’s contract, especially at a $4M cap hit but he would add a versatile mid line presence (he can play C and W) and depth scoring (usually good for 15-ish goals a year). And that would fill 2 huge holes on Winnipeg’s blue line. Could be a win-win. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes. He is a sure thing. He’s a top 6 forward right now, maybe even top line. He drives play. He’s young (a year younger than Risto iirc) and he’s under a nice contract ($6M cap hit) for 5 more seasons after this one. 

Ehlers is one of the players I’ve desired in return for Ristolainen for a while now (Mantha being another). 

Buffalo would have to send more cap back to make the trade work though (not much). 

I’d even consider expanding the trade to include Scandella for Perreault or something along those lines. Not crazy about there being 1 more year on Perreault’s contract, especially at a $4M cap hit but he would add a versatile mid line presence (he can play C and W) and depth scoring (usually good for 15-ish goals a year). And that would fill 2 huge holes on Winnipeg’s blue line. Could be a win-win. 

I'd be somewhat reluctant about your second deal because of the net loss of 2 bodies on the blue line.  I'm not sure they're ready to absorb that kind of loss this year.  That type of move signifies a move for the future, but I'd much rather have any Risto trade being for today.  Sure, you get Ehlers today, but I don't think this season can absorb that subtraction on the blue line.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

There are a number of reasonable deals that can be proposed. But as Paul Hamilton pointed out in his column there has to be a change in our player mix in order to change our team's dynamic. What we are seeing now is what we have seen for a long time. It's time for a change for the sake of a change.