Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just wanted to say the OT last night, as in almost all games, was positively amazing.

Even when Arizona was doing a lot of back tracking and the crowd was booing, I was loving it. 

4 on 4 hockey is super exciting.  It's a total chess match b/c everyone is paired up in a man-on-man defensive scheme, and you simply can't make a tactical mistake or let your man get by you, b/c it's an instant breakaway or odd man rush and glorious scoring chance if it happens.

And then once an odd-man situation develops, it usually gives rise to one going back the other way, and then one going back the other way, and so on, and the game can bust wide open into pure craziness very quickly.

When I finish watching these 4 on 4 OTs, I constantly ask myself "So why is the regular game 5 on 5 again?"

It's a different sport 4 on 4, and much, much more exciting, fun, and entertaining.

Just is.

I know the purists, the NHLPA, and most folks surrounding the game would never switch to 4 on 4 or deem it Mickey Mouse, but man, it's fun.

Overtime is 3 on 3. (I agree with your point, though).

3 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Overtime is 3 on 3. (I agree with your point, though).

LOL!  Of course!

I went back and fixed it.

I'll chalk this one up to brain fade.

Edited by Nextmanup

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Just wanted to say the OT last night, as in almost all games, was positively amazing.

Even when Arizona was doing a lot of back tracking and the crowd was booing, I was loving it. 

3 on 3 hockey is super exciting.  It's a total chess match b/c everyone is paired up in a man-on-man defensive scheme, and you simply can't make a tactical mistake or let your man get by you, b/c it's an instant breakaway or odd man rush and glorious scoring chance if it happens.

And then once an odd-man situation develops, it usually gives rise to one going back the other way, and then one going back the other way, and so on, and the game can bust wide open into pure craziness very quickly.

When I finish watching these 3 on 3 OTs, I constantly ask myself "So why is the regular game 5 on 5 again?"

It's a different sport 3 on 3, and much, much more exciting, fun, and entertaining.

Just is.

I know the purists, the NHLPA, and most folks surrounding the game would never switch to 3 on 3 or deem it Mickey Mouse, but man, it's fun.

On the WGR Instigator show it was pointed out that in the five minute overtime there was no play stoppage. I think they said that it was a first. 

The attached link is a 15 min. segment with Krueger on WGR. He talks about adjusting his practice schedule and regimen to the so far compressed schedule. He talks about Dahlin and Jokiharju and their development. He made the interesting observation that because Joki has more NHL experience than Dahlin that it is factor where each is currently at as a player. When he was asked where he believed his team was he stated that he would be able to make a better assessment after 25 games or so. But he emphasized that he was happy with the team's commitment and buy-in into what he was promoting. He's terrific to listen to. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/krueger-october-was-confirmation-how-we-want-play

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

In the WGR link that I listed in my prior post Krueger talks about the importance of off ice workouts to upgrade and maintain conditioning. He is a man driven by the science of psychology and biology. He is a holistic and modern day coach who believes that player and team development is a continuous process. He and McDermott are birds of a feather!

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In the WGR link that I listed in my prior post Krueger talks about the importance of off ice workouts to upgrade and maintain conditioning. He is a man driven by the science of psychology and biology. He is a holistic and modern day coach who believes that player and team development is a continuous process. He and McDermott are birds of a feather!

I agree with the development part for both coaches but the one big difference is one plays a system that works in the modern day and the other believes in Rockpile days football with his conservative approach to offense. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I agree with the development part for both coaches but the one big difference is one plays a system that works in the modern day and the other believes in Rockpile days football with his conservative approach to offense. 

I respectfully disagree with your more limited view of the football coach's offensive approach. The biggest issue on how you run your offense and the expansiveness of it is what is the capability of your qb at this particular time? When your qb is still in the infantile stage of development you can't expect him to handle a more mature and complex offense. The more the young qb demonstrates that he can handle a more complex offense the more expansive the offense will be. You start simple and add to your offensive repertoire as the qb gains more experience. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Two tough games coming up after a few days off.  I've got nothing to base this on but I don't have a good feeling about Friday in Washington (like the flat feeling an NFL team has coming off their bye).  I bet they're better on Saturday.

I can't really complain about the season to date.  Points in 11 of 13 games in a compressed October is fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, snafu said:

Two tough games coming up after a few days off.  I've got nothing to base this on but I don't have a good feeling about Friday in Washington (like the flat feeling an NFL team has coming off their bye).  I bet they're better on Saturday.

I can't really complain about the season to date.  Points in 11 of 13 games in a compressed October is fantastic.

...looking at the Sabres tied for 1st in the East and #5 in goal differential...do NOT wake me up.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

Two tough games coming up after a few days off. I've got nothing to base this on but I don't have a good feeling about Friday in Washington (like the flat feeling an NFL team has coming off their bye).  I bet they're better on Saturday.

I do have something to base it on why Washington should be favored to win the game: More talent! That is not to say that we can't be competitive against this superb squad but in reality that Capital team is a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. They have all the ingredients with their well rounded roster including one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game.  Another team that I am impressed with is Boston. They are also tough. If the Sabres can win one of the two games in their upcoming back to back I will be more than happy.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a 15 min. segment with Krueger on WGR. He talks about adjusting his practice schedule and regimen to the so far compressed schedule. He talks about Dahlin and Jokiharju and their development. He made the interesting observation that because Joki has more NHL experience than Dahlin that it is factor where each is currently at as a player. When he was asked where he believed his team was he stated that he would be able to make a better assessment after 25 games or so. But he emphasized that he was happy with the team's commitment and buy-in into what he was promoting. He's terrific to listen to. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/krueger-october-was-confirmation-how-we-want-play

Most importantly, he talks about being a fan of Bachman Turner Overdrive - and saw them several times since they and he are from Winnipeg.  

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Most importantly, he talks about being a fan of Bachman Turner Overdrive - and saw them several times since they and he are from Winnipeg.  

He also pointed out that Botterill should be a fan because this group is from his neck of the woods. 

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree with your more limited view of the football coach's offensive approach. The biggest issue on how you run your offense and the expansiveness of it is what is the capability of your qb at this particular time? When your qb is still in the infantile stage of development you can't expect him to handle a more mature and complex offense. The more the young qb demonstrates that he can handle a more complex offense the more expansive the offense will be. You start simple and add to your offensive repertoire as the qb gains more experience. 

The BILLS have one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL.  The new veteran WRs have said as much numerous times.

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The BILLS have one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL.  The new veteran WRs have said as much numerous times.

What is obvious to me is that the young qb has not mastered running this offense whether it is considered complex or simple . I like Josh Allen. But it is clearly evident (at least to me) that he is not adept at going through his progressions and finding the secondary targets. And it is evident to me that as a young qb he is too often making mistakes associated with not valuing the ball. I'm confident the more experience he gains the better he will play. But I don't believe it is unfair to say that the still has a long way to go to be considered a proficient qb.   

Edited by JohnC
editing

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1861471/in-krueger-they-trust-have-the-white-hot-sabres-finally-turned-the-corner

In Krueger they trust: Have the white-hot Sabres finally turned the corner?

BUFFALO - It hit Ralph Krueger earlier this week in a KeyBank Arena hallway.

As the first-year Sabres head coach reflected on the early days of his tenure in Buffalo, he felt a chill. Krueger's group had exploded out of the gate to start the 2019-20 season, gelling behind closed doors while collecting 15 of a possible 18 points. His body was telling him to soak it all in for a quick moment.

"If somebody asked me, 'After 10 games, what would I like to know?' It's that we have a right to be part of the (playoff) race. That'd be the first thing," Krueger said in a conversation Monday afternoon. "And I feel that for sure we do, especially after that (2-1-0 California) road trip. I get a little bit of goosebumps when I think about it because this is the first time I've actually said it to anybody."

It’s a really good article. 

As for this part above, I sure hope he’s right! If the Sabres fan keep playing the way they’ve been on most nights and keep banking points even on some of their off nights, they have a chance at making it as a wildcard team. 

But my fear is that eventually their lack of forward depth catches up with them.

Even if they just miss the playoffs it would be a vast improvement though. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1861471/in-krueger-they-trust-have-the-white-hot-sabres-finally-turned-the-corner

In Krueger they trust: Have the white-hot Sabres finally turned the corner?

It’s a really good article. 

As for this part above, I sure hope he’s right! If the Sabres fan keep playing the way they’ve been on most nights and keep banking points even on some of their off nights, they have a chance at making it as a wildcard team. 

But my fear is that eventually their lack of forward depth catches up with them.

Even if they just miss the playoffs it would be a vast improvement though. 

My worries, too.  I know it's been beaten to death, but hopefully the D surplus helps Botts solve that problem. 

• Like (+1) 1