Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I wasn't able to bring up the BN article. From what I heard about him he is constantly looking at different training methods. Just watching him play it is apparent that he is a relentless effort player you don't have worry about. Even when he is subjected to periods of scoring lulls the effort is still there. You can't play at his pace without being in superb condition. 

Give it s read when you can (if you’re out of free articles). 

It’s kind of long but a very good read. It goes into detail on all the different trainers he works with in the offseason. It’s a “who’s who” list of trainers. All of them are considered to be near the top of their field. 

It also details Skinner’s relentless work ethic and desire to continue improving. 

I guess he’s a freak about nutrition too.

It actually msde made me feel better about committing 8 years to him. He takes great care of himself. Plus, my hope is that some of his teammates want to follow his example.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/rasmus-ristolainen-tyytymaton-tilanteeseen-buffalo-sabresissa-haluaa-siirtya-muualle-viime-kaudet-ovat-olleet-raskaita/7508734?mtv_ref=twb_urheilu_jaakiekko#gs.vjgkhi

it’s an interview with Ristolainen.

From google translate -

Rasmus Ristolane dissatisfied with the Buffalo Sabers - wants to move on: "Recent seasons have been tough"

Rasmus Ristolainen is not happy with his position in the Buffalo Sabers and wants to look into playing in another NHL club. Ristolainen comments on his future for MTV Sports.

Rasmus Ristolainen still has three more years remaining with his contract with the Buffalo Sabers. The keys are with the club, but Ristolainen has discussed options with the club leadership.

MTV Sports previously reported that Ristolainen will change clubs for next season.

- The situation is open. I can not say anything other than the fact that I am on the 12th of September, one of the NHL team's training camp, Ristolainen commented.

- However, we wanted to keep the discussions between me and the club.

Ristolo has had a lot of responsibility from year to year on the back lines of the Sabers, but the team hasn't been in the playoffs for six years. Ristolainen is not at all happy with the situation.

- I haven't been able to help the team win. Recent seasons have been tough and I haven't been able to enjoy hockey.

Although the future is uncertain, Ristolainen has enjoyed the summer in Finland.

- I like to do a lot of different exercises in the summer, but the main focus has been on improving speed.

So it sounds like he has in fact requested a trade (as suspected) and is unhappy in buffalo. 

I still hope hope botterill doesn’t cave in and trade him for less than he’s worth. It’s Botts job to put the team above 1 player. 

Edited by BillsFan4

If Gusev is half of what they say he is, the Devils could have the best offense they have had in team history, assuming Hall is healthy.

Hopefully it's fun and successful this season.

Edited by njbuff

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://amp.freep.com/amp/1878370001?__twitter_impression=true

Joe Murphy, Red Wings' No. 1 pick, is homeless again — and refusing help

Tough read. 

As you said this is a tough and gruesome read. The intersecting of mental illness and drug addiction makes the ending very predictable. If the individual resists the potential support system there isn't much you can do to save the individual other than help when you can and have compassion. Sometimes we forget that the grungy guy living on the street is someone's son, brother, father, relative and friend. It's a sad story.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/rasmus-ristolainen-tyytymaton-tilanteeseen-buffalo-sabresissa-haluaa-siirtya-muualle-viime-kaudet-ovat-olleet-raskaita/7508734?mtv_ref=twb_urheilu_jaakiekko#gs.vjgkhi

it’s an interview with Ristolainen.

From google translate -

Rasmus Ristolane dissatisfied with the Buffalo Sabers - wants to move on: "Recent seasons have been tough"

Rasmus Ristolainen is not happy with his position in the Buffalo Sabers and wants to look into playing in another NHL club. Ristolainen comments on his future for MTV Sports.

Rasmus Ristolainen still has three more years remaining with his contract with the Buffalo Sabers. The keys are with the club, but Ristolainen has discussed options with the club leadership.

MTV Sports previously reported that Ristolainen will change clubs for next season.

- The situation is open. I can not say anything other than the fact that I am on the 12th of September, one of the NHL team's training camp, Ristolainen commented.

- However, we wanted to keep the discussions between me and the club.

Ristolo has had a lot of responsibility from year to year on the back lines of the Sabers, but the team hasn't been in the playoffs for six years. Ristolainen is not at all happy with the situation.

- I haven't been able to help the team win. Recent seasons have been tough and I haven't been able to enjoy hockey.

Although the future is uncertain, Ristolainen has enjoyed the summer in Finland.

- I like to do a lot of different exercises in the summer, but the main focus has been on improving speed.

So it sounds like he has in fact requested a trade (as suspected) and is unhappy in buffalo. 

I still hope hope botterill doesn’t cave in and trade him for less than he’s worth. It’s Botts job to put the team above 1 player. 

I don't know for sure if Risto has asked for a trade or simply candidly expressed his frustration playing on a team that has not been in the playoffs for years. He should be frustrated, as other players on the team should be. Eichel and Reinhart certainly are frustrated as the seasons pass by with them from their couches watching some of their contemporaries play in the playoffs. 

It has been noted more than a few times that all the coaching candidates were asked what would they do if hired to make Risto a more effective player? So there is evidently a serious consideration to keep him. A factor that might keep him on the roster when the season begins is that Pilut and Bogo will probably be on the injured list. If Risto isn't dealt before the season that doesn't mean that he can't be dealt during the season or after the season. The Sabres have some good defensemen prospects in the pipeline who need a little more seasoning.  

As others have stated there is no compelling reason to trade him unless the return is generous. Risto paired with McCabe on the second pairing with Dahlin and Montour as a first pairing makes for a very good unit. There is nothing wrong with that!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Give it s read when you can (if you’re out of free articles). 

It’s kind of long but a very good read. It goes into detail on all the different trainers he works with in the offseason. It’s a “who’s who” list of trainers. All of them are considered to be near the top of their field. 

It also details Skinner’s relentless work ethic and desire to continue improving. 

I guess he’s a freak about nutrition too.

It actually msde made me feel better about committing 8 years to him. He takes great care of himself. Plus, my hope is that some of his teammates want to follow his example.

I finally was able to retrieve the article about his training. After reading the article it was evident to me that if you are going to give a player such a rich and lengthy contract he is the type of driven player you would want to give it to. (As you also noted.) What was intriguing about Skinner's training regimen is that he is constantly changing it by seeking different approaches to maximize his talents. He's the type of player that doesn't lead by talking but does by example. Needless to say he is a committed player! 

• Like (+1) 1

This is from a Finnish poster on another site. He translated the part of the video interview with Risto in that MTV link. Gives a bit clearer picture. 

E: Edited direct quotes from him here.

''You have 3 years left on the contract with BUF, how do you see the situation from your POV?'' 

RR: Well, the situation is very open, even I don't currently know and can't really say one way or the other, but when it's 12th of September, I'm on some teams camp, I can't say for sure which one.

''How do you see your own position in BUF at the moment, what kind of a feel do you get from it?'' 

RR: Personally, I don't know my position in Buffalo, or if I will be on BUF when the season starts, and of course, the team has to make changes when it hasn't gone their way, accomplished their goal of being in the playoffs and Buffalo has made good acquisitions, if I am there when the season starts, it's just a good thing that I've gotten more help, creating competition, which will create improvement in everyone when you have to fight for your minutes and role.

''What kind of ambition 'zone' are you in for continuing in Buffalo, because as you said, there hasn't been success?''

RR: Well, well we've had conversations with management after the last season and the summer and we've agreed to keep the situation between us, the gm recently said in an interview that the talks that we have stay between me and the management, so we'll keep that matter as is. As I said, I'm not sure where I'm playing next season.

''Let it be that you play where you play, what kind of future goals, big goals do you have in store for your NHL career?''

RR: Well, I want to win. Maybe the main one is that after many seasons that have been rough we would have, eh, that it would be fun, you could enjoy and you wouldn't have to go through rough times as we've had in Buffalo and, of course getting to the playoffs, success, winning, I don't have personal goals but I wan't to be- I want to be the best player I can be and I trust in my abilities and potential to be one of the teams top defenders and the leagues top defenders, that's the goal.
Mostly my goal is to win and win a Stanley Cup and be a winner.

''How satisfied are you to the fact that you've been able to be a leading player?'' 

RR: I'm not satisfied, like I said our teams goals, we haven't accomplished them, we haven't made the playoffs when I've been a big role player and played a lot of minutes, so I've not succeeded, I've not played well enough to make the team succeed, so of course I have a lot of hunger and that kind of hate that you want to improve and get to the playoffs.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is from a Finnish poster on another site. He translated the video interview with Risto in that MTV link. Gives a bit clearer picture. 

Per usual, a lot lost in translation. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is from a Finnish poster on another site. He translated the part of the video interview with Risto in that MTV link. Gives a bit clearer picture. 

From what was translated I have no problem with what Risto said and his attitude. First and foremost he wants to win. And from what I have heard about him he is one of the most fit players on the team. So that tells you that he is committed to his profession. What I would like more from him is a more disciplined and intelligent game. If he remains on the team I hope that Krueger will help him refine his game. Risto can be a physical player. That is not the problem. The big question is whether he can be a better thinker on the ice. With less ice time as a second-pairing defenseman hopefully his game will flourish. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

From what was translated I have no problem with what Risto said and his attitude. First and foremost he wants to win. And from what I have heard about him he is one of the most fit players on the team. So that tells you that he is committed to his profession. What I would like more from him is a more disciplined and intelligent game. If he remains on the team I hope that Krueger will help him refine his game. Risto can be a physical player. That is not the problem. The big question is whether he can be a better thinker on the ice. With less ice time as a second-pairing defenseman hopefully his game will flourish. 

Why do players like Risto and ROR think they need to leave to win?  There is some systemic behind the scenes issue for sure.

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why do players like Risto and ROR think they need to leave to win?  There is some systemic behind the scenes issue for sure.

Winning and losing are both contagious diseases.  Look at this year's Yankees.  They've been just smashed by injuries.  At times, they've had only 2 Opening Day starters playing but they continue to win, regardless.  Role players have been brought in and a few (Gio Urshala and DJ Lemahieu especially) are having career years.  They just keep playing hard and finding ways to win.

The Sabres are exactly the opposite.  Even during the winning streak last year there were signs that it was a mirage (possession stats, SOG being skewed, etc.).  The Sabres seem to lack the experienced leaders (like Brett Gardner & CC) who've had success and know how to keep guys focused when times are tough.

Don't even get me started on the difference between Aaron Boone and Phil Housely.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Winning and losing are both contagious diseases.  Look at this year's Yankees.  They've been just smashed by injuries.  At times, they've had only 2 Opening Day starters playing but they continue to win, regardless.  Role players have been brought in and a few (Gio Urshala and DJ Lemahieu especially) are having career years.  They just keep playing hard and finding ways to win.

The Sabres are exactly the opposite.  Even during the winning streak last year there were signs that it was a mirage (possession stats, SOG being skewed, etc.).  The Sabres seem to lack the experienced leaders (like Brett Gardner & CC) who've had success and know how to keep guys focused when times are tough.

I agree with all of that but the question is why.  An argument can be made that ROR became exactly that leader this year.  When he was in Buffalo he could barely muster up the will to play at all.  I don't see Risto as a natural leader anywhere but he is a nice piece for a good team.

Why is it that guys are lost here?  I hope it is just a culture cleansing that Bott/Krueger can fix but who knows?  There is clearly something amiss.  I don't think it can be ownership because the Bills demonstrate they are capable of finding guys to build a culture.  You can see it building with the Bills.  Any flicker shown by the Sabres is quickly extinguished.  

To me it has to be coaching, GM or the captain.  We already have a new coach albeit one hired by the GM.  Outside impressions can easily be wrong.  Not everyone makes it easy to see their stupidity and incompetence a la Tim Murray.

Eichel strikes me as everything you want in a player that is growing.  He definitely has low points but most things are positive.  He is probably too young to be the captain but the surroundings built by Murray may have forced that hand.  I doubt he is the issue but if so, the new coach has to deal with it.

Botts strikes me as a doofus who lacks a sense of urgency.  A major step up from the destructive Murray but far from ideal.  He needs to put a personality onto this team, which he hasn't done.  A lot rides on Skinner in 19/20 and that is pretty unfair but Botts made that bed.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Don't even get me started on the difference between Aaron Boone and Phil Housely.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the Sabres lacked experienced leaders like the player you mentioned. But that wasn't at the heart of their systemic losing. They simply lacked enough talent to reach a critical mass to be a competitive team. Would a hard-driving coach such as Torts do a better job than the more placid Housley? Probably so in the short term. But in my opinion a coaching burst would not overcome a lack of talent in a long and grinding season. 

I'm hoping that Krueger will maximize the talents of his roster and have them play better and smarter in a more disciplined system. Risto is an example where by playing a more simplified game and playing less he will be a better player (assuming he won't be traded). This offseason the GM didn't make any big moves but he made a number of solid moves that should upgrade the roster and spread more talent around to the lower lines. 

Are the Sabres a playoff team this year? I can't say for sure. Are they a better team? Definitely, yes. On the other hand other teams also got better this offseason. I believe with the addition of Krueger and the player acquisitions this offseason this team got better. It wasn't a dramatic upgrade but it was a solid upgrade. For a lot of people that is not good enough. I'll take moving forward as a good step. 

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I'm amazed the Buffalo News could get a story saying he asked to be traded out of that interview. 

SMH...

I got this link from the hockey side of TBD. It is a column by Travis Yost from a NHL site. It deals with Risto and his value as a player and a trade asset. The writer points out because of the team circumstances he was overused and played at a higher pairing than he should have been in. The conclusion that the writer makes is that there is a danger in overvaluing and keeping him for too long. My position is unless you get a big enough return (second line player) it is better to keep him and hope that the new coach will be wiser in putting him in a position to succeed. 

https://www.tsn.ca/ristolainen-has-been-miscast-on-sabres-blueline-1.1350067?view=getnewpost

• Like (+1) 1