Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

95% of America.

Its a shame. They are missing out on a great sport. Part of me thinks to fast for most. If you look at the most popular American sports, Football, Basketball and baseball, they are all slow moving. 

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its a shame. They are missing out on a great sport. Part of me thinks to fast for most. If you look at the most popular American sports, Football, Basketball and baseball, they are all slow moving. 

The NHL has no one but themselves to blame. Worst run league in all of sports.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Don't worry about what others think and say. If you like hockey follow the team. You are not going to get rid of the pervasive snark and cynicism. If the team is making strides that doesn't mean that the torrent of criticism is going to slow. There are people who are invested in their view that this team and organization is not only currently a failure but will forever be a failure. If you get hooked into that depressing mind-set that is a problem of your own making. Following the Sabres has certainly been frustrating. But I see progress. There are some who like to snicker at a belief that this team is on an upward trajectory. Let them snicker. Why let this miserable faction have an affect on you. 

Make no mistake.  I root for them and want them to win.  I wish I could divest from my view but I simply don't see Botterill as a good GM.  That is an opinion I'll grant you that.  The opinion is derived from the bad product on the ice which is simply undeniable and not opinion based.  

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Make no mistake.  I root for them and want them to win.  I wish I could divest from my view but I simply don't see Botterill as a good GM.  That is an opinion I'll grant you that.  The opinion is derived from the bad product on the ice which is simply undeniable and not opinion based.  

Its been one season. I like the moves he made this off season and it takes time to clean up the mess from the last GM

41 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The NHL has no one but themselves to blame. Worst run league in all of sports.

Yes I will admit they aren't good at marketing their sport. At least there will be no lockouts for awhile. The players agreed to keep the current deal in place for 3 more seasons. 

What makes poorly run?

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its been one season. I like the moves he made this off season and it takes time to clean up the mess from the last GM

He is 10000000000 times better than Murray I agree but that stills leaves him below where he needs to be.  He has been on board for more than a year.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

A little buzz in the hockey world that the Sabres have offered a "significant" package for Patrick Laine.

Interesting. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-buffalo-sends-mega-offer-to.html?m=1

The offer includes RHD Rasmus Ristolainen, forward Conor Sheary, and two first-round picks. The deal would be contingent on an obvious extension which Laine continues to skate in Switzerland waiting for. Laine's focus continues to be on a long term extension in the NHL, which doesn't necessarily mean with the Jets.

Not sure how legit the source is, but it’s an interesting thought. Not gonna lie, trading even one 1st would scare me with where we’ve been drafting. Trading two would scare the crap out of me. I would hope like hell there is at least top 3 protection on them. The next draft, especially at the top, looks like it could be amazing. 

I love Laine, but there are a lot of times where if he’s not scoring, he’s not really contributing much of anything. I expect his game to grow though, and he could be one of the most elite goal scorers in the NHL. But there is obvious risk in trading two #1’s when we’ve drafted top 10 for what,  7 or 8 years in a row? Seems like one 1st should be enough with our draft position history in recent years. That’s a lottery ticket for Winnipeg. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You aren't the only one.

Back when the divisions had proper names like Norris and Adams, the sport was completely different.  And for me, much more entertaining than what it is now.

Hockey was more entertaining back then. IMO parity has ruined hockey. If they called the game like it's supposed to and let the Star players shine, the game would be much better. According to Joe in Winslow, Americans don't like hockey, so I guess it doesn't matter what the NHL does. 

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

credibility=shot

Why is my credibility shot? I'm not a fan of how the Bills are defense first team, when offense is what wins games now. As far as the older fan base goes, it gets annoying to hear their love for Blue collar football. I think the Bills fanbase are the only NFL team that doesn't want a new stadium for their team. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Interesting. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-buffalo-sends-mega-offer-to.html?m=1

Not sure how legit the source is, but it’s an interesting thought. Not gonna lie, trading even one 1st would scare me with where we’ve been drafting. Trading two would scare the crap out of me. I would hope like hell there is at least top 3 protection on them. The next draft, especially at the top, looks like it could be amazing. 

I love Laine, but there are a lot of times where if he’s not scoring, he’s not really contributing much of anything. I expect his game to grow though, and he could be one of the most elite goal scorers in the NHL. But there is obvious risk in trading two #1’s when we’ve drafted top 10 for what,  7 or 8 years in a row? Seems like one 1st should be enough with our draft position history in recent years. That’s a lottery ticket for Winnipeg. 

Because we had two first round picks last year that included Cozens and Johnson I would have little reluctance in giving up two first round picks for Laine. The reality is we already have a number of young players fermenting in the system thus those two first round picks wouldn't be depleting the pipeline very much. In addition, Laine is a young player who still has potential to grow as a player. So you are giving up two young prospects for an already productive young player. My point is that you are not mortgaging much of the future when you get in return a young player who should have a long life span. 

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

A little buzz in the hockey world that the Sabres have offered a "significant" package for Patrick Laine.

Whether this rumored deal gets worked or not what is evident is that Botts wants to move Risto. He's not going to be rushed or forced into an unbalanced deal. My sense is that he considers Risto a valuable asset that can be dealt for building a credible second line.  

33 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Why is my credibility shot? I'm not a fan of how the Bills are defense first team, when offense is what wins games now. As far as the older fan base goes, it gets annoying to hear their love for Blue collar football. I think the Bills fanbase are the only NFL team that doesn't want a new stadium for their team. 

^

This guy is seriously not right. This is his standard response, almost like a nervous tic.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yes I will admit they aren't good at marketing their sport. At least there will be no lockouts for awhile. The players agreed to keep the current deal in place for 3 more seasons. 

What makes poorly run?

Bad rules, worse officiating, a reliance on small European players.

Ask St. Louis who has the smarter fans.

7 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

A box score fan is ones who only look at the final score and not even watch to see how the team plays. I don't expect people to watch every Sabres game but it's not that difficult to look at what they have done with off season moves. The Sabres like hockey in most of the U.S. is an afterthought. 

US fans are very serious, there’s from 5,000 to 20,000 of them in every city with a franchise, and they are at the games.

No problems, i meant I’ve never called it a box score for hockey... hmmmm...: I guess the game summary is how I’ve heard it described... 

The WGR link was written by Paul Hamilton after the Toronto game. The most interesting takeaway by the writer is that Mittlstadt has been struggling in training camp. Cozens has clearly outplayed him. Under Krueger everyone has a clear slate. What you currently show is what you show. Previous history doesn't determine your present status. If that is the case it wouldn't be surprising if Mitts ends up in Rochester for more development. I still think that Cozens will be sent back to the juniors but that might be after a short stint with the Sabres that won't burn up one of his contract years.  As it stands Johannson appears to be our second line center. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-marcus-johansson-will-get-more-time-center

The roster is being whittled down. Ruotsalainen was sent back to Finland and others sent to Rochester.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-send-15-down-including-cj-smith

Edited by JohnC
additions
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

US fans are very serious, there’s from 5,000 to 20,000 of them in every city with a franchise, and they are at the games.

No problems, i meant I’ve never called it a box score for hockey... hmmmm...: I guess the game summary is how I’ve heard it described... 

The problem is that there is not enough serious hockey fans in the US. 

The problem is that there is not enough serious hockey fans in the US. 

It's a regional sport like baseball. Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Vegas, Dallas, San Jose, Colorado, LA etc. All these markets are in America.There are teams that have tepid fans, and some of that is due to expansion in new hockey markets. So that shouldn't be so surprising.  However, the hockey business is as robust as it has ever been. If you don't accept that assessment than ask the players how well they are benefiting from the business.