BillsFan4

Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20 Next game Monday Oct. 14th @ 3pm

Didn't see it posted - Sabres signed RFA CJ Smith to 2yr $1.4 million contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Bob Motzko is bummed.  Hopefully he recovers in time to give the Gophers a shot against UMD this year.

?

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

?

University of Minnesota at Duluth. 

Posted (edited)

Canes are matching Aho.  Just heard an interview with Dundon

Edited by JoeF

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

University of Minnesota at Duluth. 

I got that part. Not sure why their coach would be bummed about Dylan Cozens’s thumb injury.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I got that part. Not sure why their coach would be bummed about Dylan Cozens’s thumb injury.

He exudes empathy. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He exudes empathy. 

😁  and wants to make the most of the year I assume he has him

• Like (+1) 1

I’m officially confused (I know, I know). This is the first I’ve heard that Dylan Cozens was slated to play NCAA hockey. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m officially confused (I know, I know). This is the first I’ve heard that Dylan Cozens was slated to play NCAA hockey. 

He’s not.  I was freaking confusing him with Johnson.  I am a dumbass.  I am confused not you k-9

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

He’s not.  I was freaking confusing him with Johnson.  I am a dumbass.  I am confused not you k-9

I was confused to begin with and then you made me even more confused. Thanks pal. :)

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was confused to begin with and then you made me even more confused. Thanks pal. :)

Its hell getting old man......... When I start wearing my underwear outside my pants, I'll let you all know....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Its hell getting old man......... When I start wearing my underwear outside my pants, I'll let you all know....

There's a simple solution for making the mistake of wearing your underwear as if they are outerwear. Just don't wear any at all and give the jewels the freedom to roam. :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Well, that clears up my confusion on this issue, but rest assured, I am still a confused individual. But thanks for clearing it up, anyway, Joe. 

13 hours ago, JoeF said:

If it makes you feel any better, you managed to add a different level of confusion for me.  I thought Motzko was still with St. Cloud and I had no f'n clue as to how they fit into anything.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

If it makes you feel any better, you managed to add a different level of confusion for me.  I thought Motzko was still with St. Cloud and I had no f'n clue as to how they fit into anything.

This is a song to reflect the ball of confusions that JoeF created. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=temptations+ball+of+confusion+video&&view=detail&mid=FFD63CE15F5798199010FFD63CE15F5798199010&rvsmid=3C5ACADAADAB70756F283C5ACADAADAB70756F28&FORM=VDMCNR

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

"And the band played on"....just like us when we are thinking about the Sabres...

• Thanks! (+1) 1

I just realized that it was 5 years ago today that Darcy Regier was fired. 

Crazy that’s its been 5 years already.

I remember him announcing a “5 year plan” that would include “some suffering” (I don’t think anyone knew just how much...).

It does leave me slightly curious as to where we’d be right now had Darcy been able to complete that 5 year plan. He was stockpiling a s*** ton of draft picks and looking back now, those 2015 and 2016 draft look pretty damn good through the top 3 rounds (where buffalo had a ton of picks). Especially 2015. That draft was just loaded. I do give Darcy credit for deciding to tank just in time for a couple drafts with very elite talent at the top. Who knows how many picks he’d have hit on though. Buffalo’s scouting was pretty hit or miss under him (though maybe it eventually improves if he was given time with more scouting resources at his disposal).

It’s not worth putting much thought into, though. Darcy would have never made it 5 more years anyway. The fans wanted his head. No way Pegula would ride that out (unless there was some amazing drafts and significant improvement overall that turn the fans opinions). They were chanting “fire Darcy” at every game and starting online petitions for his removal. I’m sure a billboard campaign would have been next...lol. 

I wish Pegula would have at least hired a GM to replace Darcy that wanted to continue the slow rebuild through the draft. That was the plan that I was 100% sold on. 

We've changed visions 3 times since this rebuild started. We went from a slow 5 year rebuild to a guy that tried to get it done in a year & 1/2, back to a GM that wants to build slowly through the draft. 

I sure hope Botterill and Krueger end up being the right combo to get this turned around.

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I remember him announcing a “5 year plan” that would include “some suffering” (I don’t think anyone knew just how much...).

It does leave me slightly curious as to where we’d be right now had Darcy been able to complete that 5 year plan. He was stockpiling a s*** ton of draft picks and looking back now, those 2015 and 2016 draft look pretty damn good through the top 3 rounds (where buffalo had a ton of picks). Especially 2015. That draft was just loaded. I do give Darcy credit for deciding to tank just in time for a couple drafts with very elite talent at the top. Who knows how many picks he’d have hit on though. Buffalo’s scouting was pretty hit or miss under him (though maybe it eventually improves if he was given time with more scouting resources at his disposal).

It’s not worth putting much thought into, though. Darcy would have never made it 5 more years anyway. The fans wanted his head. No way Pegula would ride that out (unless there was some amazing drafts and significant improvement overall that turn the fans opinions). They were chanting “fire Darcy” at every game and starting online petitions for his removal. I’m sure a billboard campaign would have been next...lol. 

I wish Pegula would have at least hired a GM to replace Darcy that wanted to continue the slow rebuild through the draft. That was the plan that I was 100% sold on. 

We've changed visions 3 times since this rebuild started. We went from a slow 5 year rebuild to a guy that tried to get it done in a year & 1/2, back to a GM that wants to build slowly through the draft. 

I sure hope Botterill and Krueger end up being the right combo to get this turned around.

The Murray tenure set this franchise back. As you indicated instead of getting ahead of the process if he would have gone along with it and let it run its course this franchise would be in so much better shape. He dealt a first round pick to Ottawa for Lehner when they didn't want to keep him. That pick would now be developed enough to be a second line player. And to make matters worse the goalie was let go to succeed somewhere else that had a better situation for him. 

The Sabres have a collection of young players who may or not be ready to be ready for the NHL. Nylander, Tage, Olfafsson, Pilut and some others in the pipeline who maybe should have some upside. But that is the question. Will they be ready, and if so, when?

Last year, the GM traded for Skinner, Montour and got Pilut from free agency. It is these selective augmenting deals along with the developing young players that will create some sustainable success. Are we there yet? I don't think so. I think we need another year or so to reach the talent threshold for success.  

The ROR trade was understandable because of some underlying reasons going beyond his play. But what wasn't understandable was the paltry return for one of the best two way players in the game. This was a situation seemingly similar to the Risto situation where it makes no sense to deal a player if you can't get a reasonable return. If ROR was unhappy as it appears Risto is unhappy you don't make a deal unless you get a return that helps your team or at least doesn't damage your team. 

Because we have been so bad for so long we have been able to draft what should be our core: Reinhart, Jack, Dahlin and hopefully Cozens in a year or so. Skinner who was traded for should also be considered part of the core. Now it becomes an issue of having the fortitude to allow the young players to mature and support the core. Some people can't accept that harsh reality that it is going to take a little more time to become a serious team. In my mind there is no other way. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with most of what you stated except that our current GM wants to build slowly through the draft. I'm sure that he is feeling some pressure from the owners to put out a competitive team this year. That's why he was willing to trade for Skinner who was going to be a free agent after the acquisition and also traded Guhle and a first round pick for Montour whose contract will be up after this season. I believe that he feels that he has young players and prospects who are not that far away from developing into NHL players. What's the point of dealing off these players on cheaper contracts for players who from a talent standpoint won't be better than the younger players in the next year or two. The advantage the GM has with so many younger and less costly players is that he is in a position to steal players that can immediately help us from teams that are cap stressed. That's what happened with the deal for Miller from Vegas. And I suspect (hope) that another deal or two will happen before the season starts. My point is that the strategy the  GM is now executing is the only viable strategy for this team in its current situation that will bring this team success sooner rather than later. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Risto: $135,000 speeding ticket:

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000006163510.html

Now, what we know about Risto is that not only is he dumb on the ice but he is also dumb off the ice. Or another way of looking at it is that he is consistently stupid.