Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can only take Paul Hamilton is small doses and after listening to that interview with Krueger when he asked if Cozens’s ability to play both center and wing is an advantage, I may need a break before diving into another of his articles. So be honest, will it be worth my while to read it? I know that’s a lot of pressure on you. 

No. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Damn you! Now I HAVE to read it. 

Trust me, if you use your time to read this pointless article you will not be more informed. Rehashing a rehashed cliche storyline is not very illuminating. 

Kind of a big gamble by Jim Benning and I don’t really think JT Miller is worth it. 

Imagine if they miss the playoffs this year and next (a real possibility. They haven’t made the playoffs in 4 straight seasons now) and give Tampa a top 10 pick for JT Miller.   Yikes!

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Trust me, if you use your time to read this pointless article you will not be more informed. Rehashing a rehashed cliche storyline is not very illuminating. 

In that case, I loved it! Hamilton showed razor sharp insight into the pick and I am so much better informed for reading it!

Just now, K-9 said:

In that case, I loved it! Hamilton showed razor sharp insight into the pick and I am so much better informed for reading it!

Early afternoon drinking is not conducive to a sober absorption of a text. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Early afternoon drinking is not conducive to a sober absorption of a text. 

Then perhaps you should have sobered up before reading it!

Seriously, it was typical PHam. Another five minute I’ll never get back.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Kind of a big gamble by Jim Benning and I don’t really think JT Miller is worth it. 

Imagine if they miss the playoffs this year and next (a real possibility. They haven’t made the playoffs in 4 straight seasons now) and give Tampa a top 10 pick for JT Miller.   Yikes!

This deal would have been too much of a desperate deal if the Sabres would have made a comparable deal. It would have been too rich of a deal if we would have made it. The underlying benefit is Tampa is able to gain some cap relief and put them in a better position to sign their own talented players. In addition, Tampa's farm system is loaded and they have top tier prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL. Overall, this is a good deal for Tampa. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Then perhaps you should have sobered up before reading it!

Seriously, it was typical PHam. Another five minute I’ll never get back.

In reality you don't have to be sober to absorb his flimsy material. On the other hand I am sympathetic to him because he has had to cover this hollow franchise for so long. It has to be dispiriting  to cover a not very relevant franchise for more than a decade. What's new to ask and say?  

Sabres select Erik Portillo, 6’ 6” goalie 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/342286/erik-portillo

“He is an extremely calm netminder, generally playing deep in his crease and letting his size work for him”,  McKeen's Hockey 2019

“Composed and calm in the net, he can have that ‘unbeatable’ vibe at times”, Future Considerations 2019

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In reality you don't have to be sober to absorb his flimsy material. On the other hand I am sympathetic to him because he has had to cover this hollow franchise for so long. It has to be dispiriting  to cover a not very relevant franchise for more than a decade. What's new to ask and say?  

Whether or not the team you’re covering is bad has nothing to do with answering your own question as you ask it or insisting on making a point that even the most casual fan is already aware of, like, “Is it an advantage that he can play wing as well as center?” 

Now, it’s a short drive to be sure, but that crap drives me nuts.

Sabres trade up and pick Aaron Huglen.

He scored a crazy goal in the Hlinka -

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/485574/aaron-huglen

Corey Pronman’s scouting report - ranked #55

1. Aaron Huglen, RW, Fargo-USHL

March 6, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 165 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 60

Huglen started the season in the USHL before heading to play high school at Roseau where he was a Mr. Hockey candidate in Minnesota. He finished the season strong back in the USHL with Fargo. He’s a high skill/high IQ forward and is one of the most purely skilled players that will get picked outside of the first round. Huglen has quick-twitch hands and can make defenders look foolish with his fakes and dekes. He makes plays around defenders at a quick pace and is dangerous on the attack. He was a regular on the highlight reel at the high school level. He’s a fantastic playmaker who flashed elite vision on some very creative passes throughout the season. He skates well. It’s not explosive speed, but Huglen has a clean stride, good edgework and gets above-average speed through the neutral zone. Off the puck, he’s just OK. He’s physically underdeveloped and can struggle to win puck battles but doesn’t shy away from the crease area. He didn’t play amazingly at the USHL or at the Hlinka Gretzky, raising some concerns if the talent will translate to higher levels, but the raw talent is significant.

Edited by BillsFan4

Crazy cheap pickup for NJ. Subban has a bit of a down year by his standards but he was a Norris trophy finalist just 2 years ago. 

Santini was a 2nd round pick way back in 2013. He’s already 24. He’s played about 100 NHL games over the course of his career so far, but never more than 39 games in a season. He’s averaged about 35 games a season the last 3 years. He’s a bottom pairing guy with a bit of upside left (maybe...)

and Davies was a 7th round pick in 2016. 

Im thinking Nashville has a good idea that they can sign Duchene, otherwise I don’t get why they’d be this desperate to clear Subban’s cap hit. I know they need to extend Josi but he has a year left. 

It really goes to show that there’s a huge premium being placed on cap space right now. I hope Botterill can take advantage of it, too. 

Also, if this is all good top 4 RHD are bringing in trades, please hold onto Risto! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Crazy cheap pickup for NJ. Subban has a bit of a down year by his standards but he was a Norris trophy finalist just 2 years ago. 

Santini was a 2nd round pick way back in 2013. He’s already 24. He’s played about 100 NHL games over the course of his career so far, but never more than 39 games in a season. He’s averaged about 35 games a season the last 3 years. He’s a bottom pairing guy with a bit of upside left (maybe...)

Im thinking Nashville has a good idea that they can sign Duchene, otherwise I don’t get why they’d be this desperate to clear Subban’s cap hit. I know they need to extend Josi but he has a year left. 

It really goes to show that there’s a huge premium being placed on cap space right now. I hope Botterill can take advantage of it, too. 

Also, if this is all good top 4 RHD are bringing in trades, please hold onto Risto! 

I’m a huge fan of Subban, moreso for his off ice contributions than his on ice play, which is great in its own right. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It's not every day that you get a top defenseman for basically nothing.

He automatically gets the spotlight with NJ, which I think he relishes. In Nashville he had other quality Dman around him taking up the spotlight. In NJ, they have a highly touted prospect in Ty Smith, Sami Vatanen, a hopefully developing Will Butcher and then a bunch of 5, 6, 7th Dmen. So the spotlight is Subban's.

• Like (+1) 1