Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Now with Carter Hutton's sight problem and Robin Lehner's  mental and substance problem , the Sabres need better health exams for goalies.

Buffalo Sabres goalie Carter Hutton confessed he struggled with an ongoing vision issue during the 2019-20 season.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1976389

When your team has a lack of scoring depth beyond the first line your margin of error is small. Our below par goaltending last year allowed so many exasperating pedestrian goals that it was deflating. The "what if" wrenching truth is if the Sabres would have had the same rehabilitated Lehner who performed for the Islanders the Sabres would now be in this altered playoff set-up. That is not to say that it would be a major accomplishment but it would be something that the battered fans deserved to be a part of. 

If Hutton can return to his standard backup form and Ullmark can be at the point of his development where he is at least a solid number #1 goalie then that is a good starting point for next season whenever it starts. 

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres had a number of recognizable deficiencies beyond the goaltending. However, with average goaltending, especially during the period of time when Ullmark was hurt, the Sabres could have earned at least another 8 points. Your record is your record regardless what excuses you have to draw from. But if this eye impairment story is true and the organization wasn't aware of it then the blame goes to Hutton. If the organization was aware of it and they didn't seek an alternative goaltender then the organization sabotaged itself in its quest for a playoff. Anyway you look at this story it makes no freaking sense. 

Hey hey, lookee here..it only took a pandemic and rioting in the streets for us to agree on a post! See, 2020 is good for something!

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Give Steve Downie a call? 

Seriously though, if they could ever convince McDavid or Crosby to get onboard with the organization, that's when the hockey world really opens their eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey hey, lookee here..it only took a pandemic and rioting in the streets for us to agree on a post! See, 2020 is good for something!

Hallelujah! We agree on something even though we continue to ride on two different and distinct ponies . ?

I contend that if the Sabres can get consistent credible goaltending next season and if the GM can swing a deal that can add a second line forward or maybe if bold two second-line players then this team can be a credible lower to mid-tiered playoff team. This team still has the ability to internally improve because of the young talent already on the roster. Where we fundamentally diverge is that I don't believe that this team is as far away from being good as you do. I consider my expectations to be achievable. If the GM doesn't accomplish these attainable goals this offseason then his contract should not be renewed. 

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

Seriously though, if they could ever convince McDavid or Crosby to get onboard with the organization, that's when the hockey world really opens their eyes.

I agree entirely here. The biggest stars shine the brightest light and all that. But what it takes more than anything is a grass roots, ZERO TOLERANCE stand against the practice in the sport. At all levels. From the largest cities to the smallest towns wherever the sport is played. For everyone involved. Everyone. That means parents telling coaches where to step off, coaches telling players to get out, etc., etc. ZERO tolerance. 

And I was only half joking when I suggested giving Steve Downie a call.