Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an 8 min segment with Chad DeDominicis on WGR with Jeremy White. The core of the discussion is that under Krueger Risto has played better making his value go up. The issue as always comes down to is what can you get for Risto in a deal? Jeremy White has for a long time argued to deal him not only for the return but for the sake of changing the mix on the roster. I don't go along with his reasoning. The issue for me comes down to what can you get for him? If you can get a second-line forward such as Winnipeg's Ehler for him then I would be open to such a deal. If not, then keep your asset and don't settle for a lesser asset. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/01-22-chad-dedominicis-from-die-by-the-blade-with-jeremy-white

In no way would I trade a first pairing defenseman for a second line forward.

That would be a huge blunder.

Ristolainen is playing the best hockey of his career. It’s not like he is 30 years old, either.

35 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

In no way would I trade a first pairing defenseman for a second line forward.

That would be a huge blunder.

Ristolainen is playing the best hockey of his career. It’s not like he is 30 years old, either.

I'm a Risto supporter. He has upped his game under the coaching of Krueger, and has become one of our better defensemen. Is he a first pairing player? I would say he is more of a second pairing player. I say that as no slight to him because he plays a rugged style of play that the other defensemen don't. With respect to the issue of trading him for a player such as Ehlers I would be open to that type of deal because this team desperately needs more goal scorers beyond the first line.  

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm a Risto supporter. He has upped his game under the coaching of Krueger, and has become one of our better defensemen. Is he a first pairing player? I would say he is more of a second pairing player. I say that as no slight to him because he plays a rugged style of play that the other defensemen don't. With respect to the issue of trading him for a player such as Ehlers I would be open to that type of deal because this team desperately needs more goal scorers beyond the first line.  

Yes. He is a first pairing defenseman.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Yes. He is a first pairing defenseman.

I would say Dahlin and the player he is paired with is the first pairing for the Sabres. There is no doubt that Risto has value on the market. And there is no doubt that Dahlin has so much value to the Sabres that he is an untouchable player just as Eichel is. That untouchability does not apply to Risto. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I would say Dahlin and the player he is paired with is the first pairing for the Sabres. There is no doubt that Risto has value on the market. And there is no doubt that Dahlin has so much value to the Sabres that he is an untouchable player just as Eichel is. That untouchability does not apply to Risto. 

I gave that a thumbs up because I like Risto and agree with the Eichel/Dahlin summary.  While Risto has value our GM has also shown a proclivity for useless forwards so I'd just keep the good defenseman rather than add yet another Sheary/Vesey/Thompson/Mittlestadt.

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a 16 min segment with Marty Biron on WGR. He talked about where Jack rates in the league with the top players and the use of Reinhart on another line. He makes the good point that if Reinhart is moved off of the Jack line that it is imperative to get more production from him on the PP to compensate for him being off the top line. The most interesting part of the interview dealt with Risto and how he is used with the Sabres and his trade value. Marty takes a two prong approach to the Risto issue. The first prong is how best to use him on the Sabres, and the second prong is what is his value on the market. It seems that Marty leans more toward dealing him if you can get good value back. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/01-23-marty-biron-with-howard-and-jeremy

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

NHL skills competition is on tonight at 8pm (EST).

Eichel is doing the fastest skater event again (seems like it’ll be a yearly thing...). I still think he has a chance to win it if he has a great run. 

If Eichel raced McDavid in a straight line, he would smoke him.  But nobody can turn a corner and accelerate at the same time like McJesus. Somewhere on the interwebs is a breakdown of both of them that explains the different way they achieve high speed on skates. Jack is pure power, able to achieve top speed in a couple strides, whereas McDavid uses more more steps to keep accelerating. Watch how he turns the corner tonight and you’ll notice it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This link is by Heather Engel from NHL.com. It appears that Skinner will play against Ottawa on a line with Johansson and Frolik. Some reports indicate that Olofsson is on a week to week schedule to return. 

@BillsFan4 stated that he was going to be at the game. We should soon learn whether he is a jinx or a lucky charm for this forsaken team. The Sabres have won 3 out of the last 4 games. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-update/c-314320428

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

This link is by Heather Engel from NHL.com. It appears that Skinner will play against Ottawa on a line with Johansson and Frolik. Some reports indicate that Olofsson is on a week to week schedule to return. 

@BillsFan4 stated that he was going to be at the game. We should soon learn whether he is a jinx or a lucky charm for this forsaken team. The Sabres have won 3 out of the last 4 games. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-update/c-314320428

In practice yesterday, Skinner-Johansson-Frolik were a line.  (Don't recall which reporter said that.)  So, it is very likely, barring a setback that is what they run with tomorrow.

The Sabres are the source for the Olofsson injury being week to week.  And Sobotka and Thompson, who both had surgery, are officially listed as indefinite.  Thompson is out until next season.  Sobotka likely won't be back either though he's hoping to play again this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

In practice yesterday, Skinner-Johansson-Frolik were a line.  (Don't recall which reporter said that.)  So, it is very likely, barring a setback that is what they run with tomorrow.

The Sabres are the source for the Olofsson injury being week to week.  And Sobotka and Thompson, who both had surgery, are officially listed as indefinite.  Thompson is out until next season.  Sobotka likely won't be back either though he's hoping to play again this season. 

I was hoping that Krueger would put Skinner on the Jack line even if it was only until the return of Olofsson in order to get him going. However, the coach has a philosophy of balancing out the lines with one player on the line able to play a more defensive game. I'm not a Vesey basher but it seems to me that having him on the first line doesn't enhance that line very much. 

This offseason the priority is to add to the second line and make it a more credible and contributing line. We now have a good first line, a more than solid defensive corps and a respectable checking line. With the added cap space from the departure of some of players on the last year contracts the GM should be able to bring in a needed piece or two. What would be helpful to the cause is the development of Mittelstadt.  My feelings about him is that he has to earn a spot with the big club.

Paul Hamilton was on a 9 min segment on WGR talking about the Sabres. He talked about the return of Skinner. He mentioned how Lazar has played well enough to replace Asplund and get him sent back down to Rochester. He was also candid enough to acknowledge that the Sabres' chances to make the playoffs were improbable. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/01-27-paul-hamilton-with-howard-and-jeremy

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was hoping that Krueger would put Skinner on the Jack line even if it was only until the return of Olofsson in order to get him going. However, the coach has a philosophy of balancing out the lines with one player on the line able to play a more defensive game. I'm not a Vesey basher but it seems to me that having him on the first line doesn't enhance that line very much. 

This offseason the priority is to add to the second line and make it a more credible and contributing line. We now have a good first line, a more than solid defensive corps and a respectable checking line. With the added cap space from the departure of some of players on the last year contracts the GM should be able to bring in a needed piece or two. What would be helpful to the cause is the development of Mittelstadt.  My feelings about him is that he has to earn a spot with the big club.

Thought he might put Skinner with Eichel, but it's pretty clear that he wants Skinner and Johansson together.  Which, in fairness, was a very good pairing early in the season before Johansson tailed off (probably due to an undisclosed injury and a few games prior to Sobotka's injury).

While Frolik isn't a 2nd liner, he's better than Vlad and that line should be effective.

Agree that improving the 2nd line should be a priority.  Would prefer it to be a priority now rather than the off-season.  Would really like to see a guy that could be an effective 2C for 2 years brought in, so he could slide to 3C when/should Mittelstadt or Cozens be ready to take that role from the new guy.  That, and a goalie to team w/Ullmark need to be priorities 1 & 1A this off-season.  (Without going crazy on the G, as if they end up w/ a really good one then they lose Ullmark to Seattle rather than their 4th D-man.)

Also, based on this morning's line combos, it looks like Girgensons will get another chance with Rrinhart and Eichel while Vesey slides to Lazar's line.

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just wasted $20 on the Sabres at +3500 to win the East. Bovada does not seem to have bet for just making the playoffs, or I would have bet that for that first. Winning the division was +7500, but no way in hell can i see that a possibility.

Do you gamble for the purpose of losing money? You should have just gone to a fast food joint and bought yourself lunch. At least you would have gotten some fatty caloric value out of your money. :ph34r:

Just now, JohnC said:

Do you gamble for the purpose of losing money? You should have just gone to a fast food joint and bought yourself lunch. At least you would have gotten some fatty caloric value out of your money. :ph34r:

Its $20, two beers. They suck, but eh who knows? I would also take a similar bet but in the other direction if i could get that they finish behind the Senators at +1500 or so. 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Its $20, two beers. They suck, but eh who knows? I would also take a similar bet but in the other direction if i could get that they finish behind the Senators at +1500 or so. 

Keep your money in your pocket this year. Next year is when you should make a calculated gamble on the team. As a gambler you should know that it is all about the timing. As of right now your gambling clock is askew.