Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Is their current rebuild taking too long?

Yes, It sounds like ownership wants to win now.

https://theathletic.com/1529673/2020/01/13/who-will-replace-ray-shero-as-devils-gm-a-look-at-some-top-candidates/ (Athletic sub. required)

1Who will replace Ray Shero as Devils GM? A look at some top candidates

by Craig Custance

The Devils GM opening is a good one. Not just in the “there are only 31 of these jobs” sense but in the groundwork Ray Shero put in before being fired.

Key pieces are already in place.

“There are two first overalls sitting there and they’re going to pick in the top five again,” said an NHL executive on Sunday evening. “You’re in a hockey market where players are willing to go.”

If there’s a red flag, it’s that ownership sounds like it wants to win now. Yes, the Devils have talent but it’s clear that it might be a while before the winning comes consistently. Any candidate should try to temper expectations as part of the job interview process.

“Are they going to make the playoffs next year? No. They’re not. It’d take a miracle in net,” said the executive. “But you can build a winner around (Jack) Hughes and (Nico) Hischier.”

Seeing some urgency from ownership is nice and all, but IMO the Devils just aren’t ready yet. Their 2 best players are still under the age of 21. They tried to speed up the rebuild this past offseason and so far it was an epic failure.

Sometimes the best thing an owner can do is have patience, stay the course and not cave to the fan pressure. 

I am not saying that was the case in NJ. I don’t follow them closely enough to say what type of job shero was doing. From an outsiders perspective I thought he seemed to be doing ok, but obviously NJD ownership disagrees.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, It sounds like ownership wants to win now.

https://theathletic.com/1529673/2020/01/13/who-will-replace-ray-shero-as-devils-gm-a-look-at-some-top-candidates/ (Athletic sub. required)

1Who will replace Ray Shero as Devils GM? A look at some top candidates

by Craig Custance

Seeing some urgency from ownership is nice and all, but IMO the Devils just aren’t ready yet. Their 2 best players are still under the age of 21. They tried to speed up the rebuild this past offseason and so far it was an epic failure.

Sometimes the best thing an owner can do is have patience, stay the course and not cave to the fan pressure.

I am not saying that was the case in NJ. I don’t follow them closely enough to say what type of job shero was doing. From an outsiders perspective I thought he seemed to be doing ok, but obviously NJD ownership disagrees.

Speaking in general recognizing where your team is at and understanding where it is in a rebuild relates to the more important issue of being wise rather than being expedient because of one's impatience and perceived fan pressure. 

I believe that Pegula learned from his disastrous experience as a new owner of both of his franchises in wanting to win right away. Without a doubt the high cost player decisions that were made when he took over set this hockey franchise back. Does Pegula understand and support what our GM's strategy is in rebuilding this franchise? I believe so. It takes a lot of fortitude to endure the frustrations of going through this rigorous process. My belief is that he supports the course that has been set. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-getting-own-way-punishing-222338714.html

I can't believe the NHL says clean hit when Tkachuk goes head hunting and plasters a guy who is already engaged.  

It would probably make more sense if they showed the other hit.  The one with a video in that link, Tkachuk clearly leads with his hip.  I just don't see head hunting there.  What I see is a guy angry from a previous illegal hit now go crazy over a clean one.

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

It would probably make more sense if they showed the other hit.  The one with a video in that link, Tkachuk clearly leads with his hip.  I just don't see head hunting there.  What I see is a guy angry from a previous illegal hit now go crazy over a clean one.

Thats a filthy play.  Tkachuk abandons his defensive position to level a guy who is already engaged with another defender in a battle for the puck.  Thats the definition of head hunting.  I don't care whether he lead with his shoulder, hip, or his own ass, he has no business making that hit.  And that was the second or third time Tkachuk went after Kassian like that when he was already engaged.

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Thats a filthy play.  Tkachuk abandons his defensive position to level a guy who is already engaged with another defender in a battle for the puck.  Thats the definition of head hunting.  I don't care whether he lead with his shoulder, hip, or his own ass, he has no business making that hit.  And that was the second or third time Tkachuk went after Kassian like that when he was already engaged.

Judging by the referees and linesmen's reactions, they were ok with Kassian's response :)

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Kassian has possession of the puck.  It doesn't matter whether or not he's engaged with another player.  It is not illegal to hit him in that situation.  These aren't cut blocks or whatever the NFL rule is, he can be hit in that situation. 

As for the head hunting claim, we're stretching the definition of that term to incredible lengths.  He wants Kassian to feel that hit, I'll give you that.  But that's the intention of just about every hit at this point.  It's not supposed to be that way, but that's just the way it is.  Tkachuk threw that particular hit completely cleanly and they have no ground whatsoever to punish him in any way.

I think the linked article takes the exact opposite stance than I would on this one.  If anything, the league needs to move beyond this ridiculous mentality where players have to answer to a clean hit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/nhl-extends-buffalos-agreement-to-host-combine-through-2022/

NHL extends Buffalo’s agreement to host combine through 2022

Good! Every NHL team seems to love having it here. It’s certsinly a much better set up than what they used previously (based in a hotel lobby in Toronto iirc. Teams staying in separate hotels, prospects having to drive between hotels for meetings, etc). 

Unless another team offers a better solution than Buffalo, it should stay here. 

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

Kassian has possession of the puck.  It doesn't matter whether or not he's engaged with another player.  It is not illegal to hit him in that situation.  These aren't cut blocks or whatever the NFL rule is, he can be hit in that situation. 

As for the head hunting claim, we're stretching the definition of that term to incredible lengths.  He wants Kassian to feel that hit, I'll give you that.  But that's the intention of just about every hit at this point.  It's not supposed to be that way, but that's just the way it is.  Tkachuk threw that particular hit completely cleanly and they have no ground whatsoever to punish him in any way.

I think the linked article takes the exact opposite stance than I would on this one.  If anything, the league needs to move beyond this ridiculous mentality where players have to answer to a clean hit.

As I already stated, I do not care what article 5 of rule 9 on acceptable body checks says.  Thats a bush league hit at any level of the game and if you want to play that way you had better be prepared to answer for it.  Its absolutely head hunting in that hes looking for Kassian coming around the net, making no attempt to play the puck on a guy who is already engaged, and running him.  In one of those cases literally going after his head.  

Don't take my word for it.  Take anyone who ever played the game's word for it. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ex-nhl-players-insiders-defend-zack-kassian-and-blast-matt-tkachuks-dangerous-plays

The attached link is from a mailbag column by the BN's Lance Lysowski. He gives his opinions on questions issued by fans which are similar to the questions that we debate in this forum. Some of his views are that he doesn't believe that a major in-season trade will be made because of the cap situation. He also believes that Risto should be retained because he has elevated his game and is an important player. His response to a Colin Miller question indicates that the team has not handled him well with the constant changing in pairings and that the player has not fully adapted to Krueger's system. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/13/buffalo-sabres-ralph-krueger-jack-eichel-jason-botterill-sam-reinhart-jeff-skinner-nhl-analysis-2020/

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

As I already stated, I do not care what article 5 of rule 9 on acceptable body checks says.  Thats a bush league hit at any level of the game and if you want to play that way you had better be prepared to answer for it.  Its absolutely head hunting in that hes looking for Kassian coming around the net, making no attempt to play the puck on a guy who is already engaged, and running him.  In one of those cases literally going after his head.  

Don't take my word for it.  Take anyone who ever played the game's word for it. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ex-nhl-players-insiders-defend-zack-kassian-and-blast-matt-tkachuks-dangerous-plays

An Edmonton paper finds comments supporting an oiler.  So I guess that means every single player who ever lived supports Kassian.  Makes sense.

People want to clean up some of the things Tkachuk does, particularly the first hit.  That's fine.  But that does not excuse the reaction from Kassian.  You simply cannot continue to assualt a player once they've made it very clear that they aren't going to respond.  There's a point where you need to pull up, but he was too much of a hot headed moron to do so and we went well beyond that line.  Some players may want to buy him a beer for doing so, but that doesn't change the fact that the book will be thrown at him each time he does it, as it should be.

And by the way, there is no requirement to make a play on the puck.  If that was the case, probably 90% of all hits would be penalized.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

An Edmonton paper finds comments supporting an oiler.  So I guess that means every single player who ever lived supports Kassian.  Makes sense.

People want to clean up some of the things Tkachuk does, particularly the first hit.  That's fine.  But that does not excuse the reaction from Kassian.  You simply cannot continue to assualt a player once they've made it very clear that they aren't going to respond.  There's a point where you need to pull up, but he was too much of a hot headed moron to do so and we went well beyond that line.  Some players may want to buy him a beer for doing so, but that doesn't change the fact that the book will be thrown at him each time he does it, as it should be.

And by the way, there is no requirement to make a play on the puck.  If that was the case, probably 90% of all hits would be penalized.

Yup.  Hockey 101.  1st forechecker takes the man.  2nd forechecker takes the puck.

For the ones who are down on the Sabres for not being better, have any of you looked at their home record. On home ice they have one of the better records in the league. If they can figure out how to win more on the road they can be right in the playoff mix again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yup.  Hockey 101.  1st forechecker takes the man.  2nd forechecker takes the puck.

Or in the case of Tkachuk.  First forechecker takes the man, second "forechecker" takes his head off.  

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Again, you keep citing a rule book and failing to acknowledge that NHL hockey is not the overly officious NFL.  There are many unwritten rules to the game which it appears you only get familiarized with when you have actually played.  Anyone who has played the game knows thats a bush league hit.  90% of all hits look nothing like what Tkachuk did which is why a guy just beat the s@## out of him for it while his own teammates stood and watched.  

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

90% of all hits look nothing like what Tkachuk did which is why a guy just beat the s@## out of him for it while his own teammates stood and watched.  

And the referees and linesmen

@Joe in Winslow what is so funny about what I said? The Sabres have one of the best home records. If they can improve their road record they can get back in the playoff race. If they can go .500 the rest of the season on the road it will help them get back in it  Right now they are only 7 points out. Its funny how you will BILLieve in anything the Bills do but look down on the Sabres. They rebuilt the defense last off season. They have a good goalie in their system that will solve that issue. Their biggest issue right now is scoring. Part of that is cause Oloffson and Skinner are out. 

50 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Or in the case of Tkachuk.  First forechecker takes the man, second "forechecker" takes his head off.  

Again, you keep citing a rule book and failing to acknowledge that NHL hockey is not the overly officious NFL.  There are many unwritten rules to the game which it appears you only get familiarized with when you have actually played.  Anyone who has played the game knows thats a bush league hit.  90% of all hits look nothing like what Tkachuk did which is why a guy just beat the s@## out of him for it while his own teammates stood and watched.  

Ahhh the ever popular "if you ever played the game" defense.  Lots of lazy assumptions there.  Anyway, you're actually right that not all that many hits look like what Tkachuk did.  Hip to hip?  So often players tend to attack much higher than that.  If Kassian's helmet had stayed on, no one would be questioning that hit one bit.  He came about as close to hitting Kassian's head as a Zhitnik slap shot to the net.  If Kassian wants to react to a cheap and illegal hit, so be it.  He'll accept the consequences of doing so.  But when he reacts only the the clean one, he looks bad.

And his own teammates stood by because they knew they were about to get a powerplay.  They just happened to score the game winning goal on said powerplay.  Let's not pretend that we've never seen a mugging where no one intervenes.  That's becoming the norm around this league.