Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hutton is beyond awful. He’s not even an NHL goalie at this point. I seriously think that the Sabres have to consider waiving him and calling up Hammond or Johansson to be Ullmark’s backup. It’s like an automatic loss every time he starts (or at least the last 11 games...). 

McCabe is awful too. At least 2 goals today are on him. 

Hutton got caught out of position once. The other 5 goals were from our defense talking to their d##ks instead of doing their job...which they seem to be incapable of anyway

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

@Jrb1979, @JohnC how's the trajectory looking these days? :lol:

Two of the better goal scorers on a team with few scorers are sidelined. What do you expect? What you and your despairing associates don't understand is that the composition of this lackluster team will not be the same composition next year. If you can't handle that reality that is your problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Two of the better goal scorers on a team with few scorers are sidelined. What do you expect? What you and your despairing associates don't understand is that the composition of this lackluster team will not be the same composition next year. If you can't handle that reality that is your problem. 

Same thing was said last year. And the year previous. And the year before that.

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Same thing was said last year. And the year previous. And the year before that.

Maybe others have stated it but I haven't. I have said for more than a year that this team's central issue is a talent deficit. And I have repeatedly stated that it was going to take time to meaningfully address it. The harsh reality is that there was no quick fix no matter how much people wanted it to be. We have a half dozen or more players who are on the last year of their contracts. That is why next year the organization will be in a better position to substantially alter the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Maybe others have stated it but I haven't. I have said for more than a year that this team's central issue is a talent deficit. And I have repeatedly stated that it was going to take time to meaningfully address it. The harsh reality is that there was no quick fix no matter how much people wanted it to be. We have a half dozen or more players who are on the last year of their contracts. That is why next year the organization will be in a better position to substantially alter the roster.  

There won't be a half dozen players we'll be able to magically acquire and make the leap that is needed.  The Sabres were one of the worst teams in the league when Botts got here and they really haven't improved at all.  There central issue is indeed a talent deficit.  Whose job is it to acquire talent?

Edited by 4merper4mer

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hutton is beyond awful. He’s not even an NHL goalie at this point. I seriously think that the Sabres have to consider waiving him and calling up Hammond or Johansson to be Ullmark’s backup. It’s like an automatic loss every time he starts (or at least the last 11 games...). 

McCabe is awful too. At least 2 goals today are on him. 

The attached link is WGR's commentary on Hutton's game. I thought it was a fair representation of his performance. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/the-sabres-dont-play-well-in-front-of-hutton

The bottom line is because of this team's scoring impotency other than Jack this team has little margin of error. When the opposition is roaming free they often capitalize on their chances. When the Sabres have their chances they usually miss the net or are reluctant to shoot. 

When you subtract two of your primary goal scorers from an already thin scoring roster I don't see where the help will come from. The surplus on the defensive unit is not going to bring back much in a deal other than those marginal type deals such as the Frolik deal unless you trade your ace players such as Dahlin and Joki. I'm open to trading Risto but not unless the return is equal in value. If there is a deal including him I see it happening in the offseason. 

Krueger is going to have a challenge in keeping this thin team from tuning out and going through the motions. I just don't see any substantive deals being made until the offseason. The reality is stark but it must be faced. If Botts isn't aggressive this offseason in adding to the roster then his job will be in jeopardy, and deservedly so.   

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is WGR's commentary on Hutton's game. I thought it was a fair representation of his performance. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/the-sabres-dont-play-well-in-front-of-hutton

The bottom line is because of this team's scoring impotency other than Jack this team has little margin of error. When the opposition is roaming free they often capitalize on their chances. When the Sabres have their chances they usually miss the net or are reluctant to shoot. 

When you subtract two of your primary goal scorers from an already thin scoring roster I don't see where the help will come from. The surplus on the defensive unit is not going to bring back much in a deal other than those marginal type deals such as the Frolik deal unless you trade your ace players such as Dahlin and Joki. I'm open to trading Risto but not unless the return is equal in value. If there is a deal including him I see it happening in the offseason. 

Krueger is going to have a challenge in keeping this thin team from tuning out and going through the motions. I just don't see any substantive deals being made until the offseason. The reality is stark but it must be faced. If Botts isn't aggressive this offseason in adding to the roster then his job will be in jeopardy, and deservedly so.   

It's an unwinnable situation right now. Bott's patience looks like almost criminal lethargy. He can turn that around with an outstanding off-season, but I am skeptical he has it in him. Hope he does.

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Giving up 4 goals in the 3rd period has nothing to do with offensive impotency.  If the GM made a concerted effort to overload this team with defensemen, they should not be allowing 4-5 goals/game, no matter what the offense does.

Hmm.... wonder if a move is coming? They can’t keep 3 goalies in Rochester, can they? 

I don't really see how this would relate to Hutton, unless they found somewhere to trade him and plan to call up Hammond/Johansson. Or the Sabres plan to carry 3 goalies... 

edit -https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/rochester-calls-up-goalie-ukko-pekka-luukkonen

sounds like this could potentially just be about rochester. 

Rochester has lost six-of-seven games and has called up Cincinnati All-Star goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. The rookie is 12-5-3 with the Cyclones with a .917 save percentage and 2.12 goals against.

Jonas Johansson is an All-Star for the Amerks going 11-3-3 with a 2.23 goals against and .924 save percentage, but after winning nine in a row, he’s lost his last two.

Andrew Hammond is not playing well at all lately as the veteran goaltender has six straight losses. He’s 10-8-2 with a 2.61 goals against and .902 save percentage.  

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Yes, right ^^^^^^^.

They can’t score and they can’t stop other teams from scoring.

Botteril has 8 or 9 allegedly NHL caliber defensemen on the roster. I keep picking on Montour, but he’s the “Housley-type” player that Botteril picked up at the trade deadline when it was fairly obvious that Housley wasn’t going to be coaching the team any more.  McCabe and Ristolainen have been here through 4(?) coaches.  I’ve always been reluctant to move Risto, but I’m changing the way I think about that now.  Get rid of two of these three — even if the return results in an upgrade of the 3rd line. Maybe he can even get a decent 2nd line upgrade, though that’s unlikely. 

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

The problem is we were also sucking with both 53 and 68 in the lineup.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Yes, right ^^^^^^^.

They can’t score and they can’t stop other teams from scoring.

Botteril has 8 or 9 allegedly NHL caliber defensemen on the roster. I keep picking on Montour, but he’s the “Housley-type” player that Botteril picked up at the trade deadline when it was fairly obvious that Housley wasn’t going to be coaching the team any more.  McCabe and Ristolainen have been here through 4(?) coaches.  I’ve always been reluctant to move Risto, but I’m changing the way I think about that now.  Get rid of two of these three — even if the return results in an upgrade of the 3rd line. Maybe he can even get a decent 2nd line upgrade, though that’s unlikely. 

I have defended Risto witnessing better and smarter play by him this season under Krueger. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be open to a deal that would bring us back a second-line forward (center or winger) who could score. Would I trade him for Winnipeg's LW Ehlers? Yes. But the real question is whether Winnipeg would make the deal? The only two defenders I would not deal are of course Dahlin and the other is the emerging Jokiharju. 

In my opinion the real value that the GM has is even more than players on his roster is cap space after the season. That should put him in a position to make a deal or two with teams that are cap stressed and are forced to move some talent. I'm hoping that the GM can do what the Bills did after clearing out some players after first being willing to painfully absorb some contracts in the prior year. 

9 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The problem is we were also sucking with both 53 and 68 in the lineup.

I disagree with your take. If you want to maximize the talents of 53 and 68 you need to surround them with a stronger supporting cast. Good players on a good team are more productive than good players are on a bad team. The same dynamic applies to every team sport. 

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/01/12/devils-fire-ray-shero-make-tom-fitzgerald-interim-gm/

New Jersey fires GM Ray Shero.

How does our resident NJ fan(s) feel about this? 

I wonder if theyll stick with Fitzgerald or look for a new GM in the offseason? 

Is their current rebuild taking too long?

The attached link is by BN's Lance Lysowski giving a brief update on Luukonen, Pekar and Mittelstadt. Regarding Mittelstadt he simply needs to play down on the farm and forgotten about. Ultimately, he is going to demonstrate whether he has what it takes to become an effective NHL player. Although "draft and develop" sounds like a cliché there is no better way to build a winning franchise. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/12/buffalo-sabres-rochester-americans-cincinnati-cyclones-ukko-pekka-luukkonen-echl-ahl-nhl-news-2020/?view=getnewpost