Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a 15 minute link with Marty Biron on WGR. The interview focuses on Marty's analysis of the roster and what he would do this offseason. His view is that the Sabres shouldn't assume that its young players/prospects such as Mitts, Tage and Cozens will be ready to significantly contribute next season. It's his belief that the philosophy of waiting for the young players has been going on for too long, and it is now time to make deals and reshuffle the roster more. 

And yet Botts opened up his PC with this line of thinking, and is rightfully getting flamed for it

4 minutes ago, GG said:

And yet Botts opened up his PC with this line of thinking, and is rightfully getting flamed for it

Without question there is a variation between Marty's approach and Botts. I understand why the GM is receiving criticism from the frustrated fans. Botts is following a plan that he believes in. Now his job is at stake. And that is how it should be. 

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jersey boys are always trying to fleece the opposition when they are vulnerable and acting out of frustration. When dealing with the prowling Jersey Boys trying outhustle the downtrodden you have to remain vigilant and keep your hands on your wallet.  :ph34r:

Hey!  ?  At least they're honest enough to brand themselves a New Jersey team!  That should count for something!  ?

59 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hey!  ?  At least they're honest enough to brand themselves a New Jersey team!  That should count for something!  ?

Mr. Tony Soprano appreciates the loyalty to the community he is so indebted to. ?

Ive said this before to others and I stand by it.

A guy with a vision like Jason Botterill was needed as soon as the Sabres won the Eichel pick:A GM who was focused on the development of the franchise from the bottom up, and having patience. Instead they hired Tim Murray, who to me was trying to accelerate the development of the franchise when Eichel and Reinhart weren't even 20 years old yet by making the Evander Kane and O Reilly moves and being aggressive in UFA when they should not have been.

Pegula hired the GM's in the wrong order, and we are paying dearly for it.

Edited by Like A Mofo

Attached is a link by Lance Lysowski from the BN writing about his seven point takeaway from the Botterill news conference. Much of the article addresses the obvious issues of the necessity of having more scoring beyond the Jack line and the hope that Ullmark will be a good enough #1 goalie. The writer's summarization addresses the issues that most of us have consistently discussed here.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/27/buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill-jack-eichel-sam-reinhart-rasmus-dahlin-victor-olofsson-nhl-news-2020/?view=getnewpost

4 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

A guy with a vision like Jason Botterill was needed as soon as the Sabres won the Eichel pick:A GM who was focused on the development of the franchise from the bottom up, and having patience. Instead they hired Tim Murray, who to me was trying to accelerate the development of the franchise when Eichel and Reinhart weren't even 20 years old yet by making the Evander Kane and O Reilly moves and being aggressive in UFA when they should not have been.

I dont think botterill has been patient at all.  The farm isn't stocked with anything, and he has squandered picks and assets with little to show for it.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-52820/t-277437090/c-5384812

Full Eichel interview. I wanted to listen to the entire thing after hearing that quote.

He’s definitely not happy with the results of the last 5 years. But I (still) don’t get the impression he wants out. 

He talks multiple times about the strides the team took this year. Talks about how they’re a young team still learning and getting experience. He raves about Ralph Krueger multiple times. Raves about some of his young teammates. And even says he’s not frustrated with the direction team is headed (I think...).

He seems pissed/frustrated they missed this 24 team playoff by less than 1 point more than anything else. Not surprising. 

Other sabres fans can decide for themselves but I feel better after listening to the whole interview. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-52820/t-277437090/c-5384812

Full Eichel interview. I wanted to listen to the entire thing after hearing that quote.

He’s definitely not happy with the results of the last 5 years. But I (still) don’t get the impression he wants out. 

He talks multiple times about the strides the team took this year. Talks about how they’re a young team still learning and getting experience. He raves about Ralph Krueger multiple times. Raves about some of his young teammates. And even says he’s not frustrated with the direction team is headed (I think...).

He seems pissed/frustrated they missed this 24 team playoff by less than 1 point more than anything else. Not surprising. 

Other sabres fans can decide for themselves but I feel better after listening to the whole interview. 

Fella who posts at Sabres Hockeybuzz says Eichel wants out and it will become more clear soon. He's had inside information before, so I don't think it can be dismissed out-of-hand. In general, hard to see much to fend off despair with this team. To balance it out, there is talent on the team. A competent GM would make 3 - 4 shrewd moves and you could see a playoff team. Just not confident we have that GM.

Edited by Dr. Who

13 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Botts and vision in the same sentence needs to also include the word lasik.  I get what you're saying and you're not wrong about the sequence of GMs, at least in their type, but both individuals were/are horrible in the execution of their plans.  

Bott's "vision" has shown zero payoff even in an individual player, much less team results.  Yes, there are people touting soon to be average players like Jokiharju or journeymen like Montour as genius maneuvers, but the only viable difference makers he has acquired are Skinner, who is currently having his work ethic challenged by the coach, eating huge cap $,  and exiled on a line that can't generate anything, and Dahlin who was a gift from ping pong balls.

Watching an interview it us easy to tell Botts, while a nice guy, isn't very bright.  Compare a Botts interview to a Beane interview.  I'm not saying he needs to be exactly like Beane but he needs to be able have some semblance of a presence and project an aura of competence.  He doesn't.  I wouldn't doubt that he is decent behind the scenes and could help a franchise like perhaps he did in Pittsburgh, but he is not a viable GM in any way.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think COVID saved his job and it is hard for me to blame him or the Pegulas for that odd circumstance.  The sad likelihood is that 20-21 will be another disaster.  If I were the Pegulas my goal would be to figure out a way to get/keep Eichel happy and beg him for round 2 of patience.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella who posts at Sabres Hockeybuzz says Eichel wants out and it will become more clear soon. He's had inside information before, so I don't think it can be dismissed out-of-hand. In general, hard to see much to fend off despair with this team. To balance it out, there is talent on the team. A competent GM would make 3 - 4 shrewd moves and you could see a playoff team. Just not confident we have that GM.

Was it buffalo 39?

If it’s that “homie” or “89” guy, they’re wrong WAY more than they’re right (at least from what I’ve seen, but I don’t go there anymore since Michael Pachla (sp?) left). 

buffalo39 is the guy with legit inside info. If he said it, that makes me nervous for sure.

They may as well just sell the f-ing team if Eichel wants out.

The attached link is a column by Bill Hoppe writing for the Buffalo Hockey Beat. This a reprise of a number of similar articles by others writing about Risto and his awareness that he may be traded this offseason. It seems that he not only is aware that he might be traded but it indicates that isn't adverse to being traded. 

Craig Buttons was on WGR today and was asked by Howard Simons about Cozens and whether he was ready to play in the NHL league next year. Buttons spoke in glowing terms about him. He believed that Cozens was not only good enough to play right away but also that he was adaptable to play whatever role he was asked to play and contribute. 

www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-rasmus-ristolainen-knows-he-could-be-traded/?view=getnewpost

Edited by JohnC

12 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

If the GM doesn't make some meaningful moves to upgrade the roster this offseason the situation will become dire not only with Jack's disgruntlement but with other prime players such as Dahlin and Reinhart. The GM is on the last year of his contract. He's aware that he has to be more aggressive in reshuffling the roster in order to balance it out. The owners may not be the most astute hockey people but they certainly are aware that the fan base is withering and  becoming apathetic after being subjected to this long-term irrelevancy that started before the current GM took the job. Clearly, at this stage it is not about the process as it is about the more immediate results.  

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Starts about 6 minutes in.

I listened to Krueger on a WGR taping. The one constant characteristic of an extended Krueger interview is that he is uplifting and positive. His comments about Jack's and Risto's expressions of frustration demonstrate his positivity. He made the point that those comments show that these players care and are not satisfied with the current situation. He pointed out that both of these players are a couple of the hardest working players on the team. While many of us believe that Risto will be traded for some forward help it appears that Risto is a player he wants to keep because of his physicality. 

There is no question that fans are getting tired of not being a relevant franchise. They understandably are fatigued. However, when you listen to Krueger you see a man who believes in himself and has confidence in what it takes to build and transform a struggling franchise into a successful franchise. For him it is a process that he believes in. I see little discouragement on his part in this excruciating journey to respectability. 

• Like (+1) 1