Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

"we see more than the fan sees"..not a great choice of words to be sure.

I would have respected more" we aint paying another guy to not work or us"

Well a Natural Gas miner and a former waitress do know more about hockey then the average fan, they have proven this when they made Buffalo 'Hockey Heaven' and we all were showered in Stanley Cups.....

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't know.  They have to try to build him up somehow.  They have no choice but to keep him despite the fact he will undoubtedly have us lagging behind Seattle.

Well they are lagging Behind Vegas, why not have them lagging behind the next Expansion team. Theres a good chance Ottawa may leap frog them with their rebuild.

You know what they say about sports franchise rebuilds, 'Slow and steady wins the race.....'

12 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But if you view his job as being an 'NHL strength and conditioning coach' there are only 31 positions so if he isn't one of the best of those 31, hes not at the top  of his field. If you view it as just being a 'Hockey Strength and conditioning coach' he would be at the top if they think being at worst the 31st rated person at the top of their field.

To me, anyone working in one of the 4 major professional sports leagues is at the top of their field. 

I don’t view it as “NHL strength and conditioning” or “hockey strength and conditioning”. I view him as a strength and conditioning coach that earned one of only 31 NHL head strength and conditioning jobs in the entire world.

He didn’t start out in hockey. It was his lectures and work with three professional rugby teams in the United Kingdom (the 3 teams he worked for won the European Rugby Champions Cup, three English Premiership Championships, and two English League Cup titles) that got him one of those 31 NHL jobs, putting him at the top of his industry.

Ive never even heard of anything like this happening before, have you?

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

To me, anyone working in one of the 4 major professional sports leagues is at the top of their field. 

I don’t view it as “NHL strength and conditioning” or “hockey strength and conditioning”. I view him as a strength and conditioning coach that earned one of only 31 NHL head strength and conditioning jobs in the entire world.

He didn’t start out in hockey. It was his lectures and work with three professional rugby teams in the United Kingdom (the 3 teams he worked for won the European Rugby Champions Cup, three English Premiership Championships, and two English League Cup titles) that got him one of those 31 NHL jobs, putting him at the top of his industry.

Ive never even heard of anything like this happening before, have you?

The heart of the matter in the consideration of this immigration issue has little to do with expertise and status in one's field. It's simply an anti-immigration stance being applied by an anti-immigration administration through the court system that it has staffed. If you think what happened with the Sabre strength and conditioning staff doesn't make sense then read this link where people have to fight on behalf of doctor who is risking her life attending to infected American citizens to retain her status. It's freaking crazy and stupid!

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/496419-icu-doctor-fighting-coronavirus-denied-green-card-its-like-a-slap-in-the-face

• Like (+1) 1

I will up the ante on my trade offer.

The Devils get Jack Eichel and the Sabres get Jack Hughes, Kyle Palmieri, Jesper Boqvist, the highest 2020 1st round pick, a 2021 1st round pick and another player of your choosing that isn't named Mackenzie Blackwood. And if you choose Nico Hischier, I get to choose another player that is acceptable from your roster.

It's a lot, but both franchises need a kick in the azz.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils get Jack Eichel and the Sabres get Jack Hughes, Kyle Palmieri, Jesper Boqvist, the highest 2020 1st round pick, a 2021 1st round pick and another player of your choosing that isn't named Mackenzie Blackwood. And if you choose Nico Hischier, I get to choose another player that is acceptable from your roster.

No! The Sabres don't need a kick in the arse as much as they need an earnest spanking. The Sabres have assets and a high draft pick to parlay for some help. Jack is the heart and soul on this team that comes about once in every generation. It's self-defeating and deadly to put a dagger in your own heart. And don't you dare even think about Dahlin!

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No! The Sabres don't need a kick in the arse as much as they need an earnest spanking. The Sabres have assets and a high draft pick to parlay for some help. Jack is the heart and soul on this team that comes about once in every generation. It's self-defeating and deadly to put a dagger in your own heart. And don't you dare even think about Dahlin!

Didn't inquire about Dahlin. I know he is as about as untouchable as it gets.

From my point of view, Eichel and Blackwood would be superior building blocks to a championship future for NJ.

I tried. ?

Edited by njbuff

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Didn't inquire about Dahlin. I know he is as about as untouchable as it gets.

From my point of view, Eichel and Blackwood would be superior building blocks to a championship future for NJ.

I tried. ?

Jersey boys are always trying to fleece the opposition when they are vulnerable and acting out of frustration. When dealing with the prowling Jersey Boys trying outhustle the downtrodden you have to remain vigilant and keep your hands on your wallet.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Jersey boys are always trying to fleece the opposition when they are vulnerable and acting out of frustration. When dealing with the prowling Jersey Boys trying outhustle the downtrodden you have to remain vigilant and keep your hands on your wallet.  :ph34r:

I tried to be fair in my offer (I think I was), but nobody did like Lou did back in the day.

He knew how to fleece his fellow GM. ?

• Like (+1) 1

I watched part of Bot's rather sad Facebook live thing this morning.  He's simply in way over his head and not cut out to be a GM in any way.  He is not a caustic loser ahole like Murray but just listening to him talk one can tell he wouldn't get the job done if he had 1000 years to do it.

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I tried to be fair in my offer (I think I was), but nobody did like Lou did back in the day.

He knew how to fleece his fellow GM. ?

Bald oldster Lou is pure and simple old school. He did well with Jersey and much to my surprise this oldster has done a terrific job with the Islanders. I thought he had lost touch with the game but after being dispatched from Jersey he took on his new assignment with greater urgency. Got to give him credit.  

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

No sale.

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Like I said, I tried.

And I applaud the effort. The offer was generous, but Jack has arrived and whoever gets the best player in a trade wins. Since Jack is the best player, it’s better to just keep him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This interview makes me sad that it’ll be so long before we get to watch Dahlin play again. He says he’s working non-stop every day to get bigger+better. I believe him. He already looks like he’s bulked up some. 

BTW, turn on the auto-generated YouTube caption feature for the last few minutes of the interview where Swedish reporters get to ask questions. The translations it generated for me were hilarious. 

Attached is an AP article by John W. about Botterill's press conference with the media. It's very likely that the GM will make some deals to better balance the roster with more scoring throughout the lines beyond the top line. However, his roster building strategy mostly revolves around developing your own talent. It appears that he is willing to stake his job on the belief that Mitts, Tage and Cozens will improve and contribute at the NHL level. 

As much as there is more attention directed toward the young forwards what will be the biggest factor in improving the team's record is the play of Ullmark as our #1 goaltender. If he plays as a solid first goalie that in itself will be a major upgrade. If the collective play of our goaltenders remain average or less then this team will continue to be stuck in the morass of mediocrity. 

https://apnews.com/93eacb64a25157a8ab3b1b5d8dd8f93a?view=getnewpost

Attached is a 15 minute link with Marty Biron on WGR. The interview focuses on Marty's analysis of the roster and what he would do this offseason. His view is that the Sabres shouldn't assume that its young players/prospects such as Mitts, Tage and Cozens will be ready to significantly contribute next season. It's his belief that the philosophy of waiting for the young players has been going on for too long, and it is now time to make deals and reshuffle the roster more. 

He also gave his analysis of the state of our goaltending situation. He believes that Hutton is sufficient as a backup when playing less. It's my impression that Marty agrees with retaining the GM but he would place more emphasis on getting more developed talent even if it requires dealing some of the emerging prospects. 

Overall, I thought Marty's analysis was a fair assessment of where this team is and what it needs to do to advance. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-28-hr-1-howard-and-jeremy-show-0

Too funny...

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/spo/d/buffalo-nhl-sabres-hockey-franchise/7131321126.html

Angry Sabres fan puts team up for sale on Craigslist

By Staff
Published 6:00 a.m. May 28, 2020|Updated 3 hours ago
How angry, disappointed and frustrated are Buffalo Sabres fans? Well, one attempted to put the team up for sale on Craigslist on Wednesday to express those feelings.

The poster described the Sabres as a "Lost team with diehard fanbase looking for wealthy owner who actually understands hockey. ... Organization on the cheap. Could be flipped. Major structural damage but few core pieces still intact."

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Attached is an AP article by John W. about Botterill's press conference with the media. It's very likely that the GM will make some deals to better balance the roster with more scoring throughout the lines beyond the top line. However, his roster building strategy mostly revolves around developing your own talent. It appears that he is willing to stake his job on the belief that Mitts, Tage and Cozens will improve and contribute at the NHL level. 

As much as there is more attention directed toward the young forwards what will be the biggest factor in improving the team's record is the play of Ullmark as our #1 goaltender. If he plays as a solid first goalie that in itself will be a major upgrade. If the collective play of our goaltenders remain average or less then this team will continue to be stuck in the morass of mediocrity. 

https://apnews.com/93eacb64a25157a8ab3b1b5d8dd8f93a?view=getnewpost

Willing to? Botterill already has. Those three will either hit next season or he’s gone. Simple as that. Personally, I doubt he will last the entire season. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Willing to? Botterill already has. Those three will either hit next season or he’s gone. Simple as that. Personally, I doubt he will last the entire season. 

I agree with you that Botts is mostly invested in those three players contributing next year. If he brings in some more established players then having two out of the three mentioned players would still fit in with his approach of relying on that type of building your roster from within. As you well know I'm less critical of the GM than most because I felt all along that it was going to take time for him to implement his philosophy. He's entering the last year of his contract and the ownership has been more than patient in allowing him to do execute his plan in franchise building.  I see it as his do or die year; and that is how it should be. 

Edited by JohnC