Ty Nsekhe - Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 5/17/19 (good stuff)

Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 5/17/19 – Pat Kirwin & David Moulton

Really good interview - amazing story and Ty comes off as such a genuine good guy.  Another added to my list of favorite players - will be rooting hard for this guy.  

(Also - has an amazing voice - think he might be userid Deep Voice on this board)

- The GM/Coach in Buffalo are looking for certain types of guys – and you fit the bill for them.  They are very much interested in tough guys, loyal guys.  Do you feel like you fit in there – they paid you too

Since we’ve gone through OTAs and the offseason program, we get a chance to look at who’s in the room, and just looking around the room we all fit the same build, the same mentality.  I see what they are building when they brought everybody in this year

- What is that mentality

Tough, smart, physical football players

- And not a lot of egos

No, not at all – blue collar, blue collar definitely

- And that represents Buffalo itself.  Your career – not drafted from Texas State to playing 403 plays last year  Tell about the journey

- You got your start in the Arena 2 league, not the Arena league, the Arena 2 league

Yeah it was like the supplemental league to the Arena

- And you played more than one year in the Arena 2 just to make it to the Arena league – take us back there

I started in Corpus Christi Arena 2 team, we played for 100 dollars – 150 if you won before taxes – so after taxes probably came out to about 110 and if you lost about 74.  I think we won like 4 games so a bunch of 74 dollar checks

- It’s like little league if you won you got ice cream. 

- If I was you, my jersey number would be 74 just to remind me of the world I came from <laughter>

- The chip on the shoulder was there from the beginning, the hunger to play, nothing was going to stop you.  In Arena 2 I’m sure you drove home a few times going I can’t even live on this

Yeah it was a humbling experience for sure, I had an old Chevy Caprice, and 74 dollars wasn’t even paying for brake pads, wasn’t taking care of necessities

- So then take us to the next place

So then I go to the Desperados, the pay was up to 400 dollars a week now, there I tore my shoulder, and after tearing my shoulder I got a call from the Dolphins, I go work out with them and they wanted to sign me, the GM told me he wanted to sign me, and about two days after I left the facility the league locked out – so I missed out on that opportunity.  I went to play with the Philadelphia Soul after that, and Ron Jawarski talked about getting me in camp with the Eagles, but that never came to fruition.  From there the dream kind of fizzled on me, I needed to do something to be an adult basically.  Arena football wasn’t a way I was going to be able to sustain life, and especially if I was going to have a family.  I started doing other things, like security. I received a phone call from a team in San Antonio, because I had other things going at that time with security for musical acts, I told them the only way I would go play for them was if they matched or did better.  They called back two days later and said OK we’ll double it so that got me playing down in San Antonio

<Some discussion about his free football camp and foundation/charity http://tynfoundation.org>

- Hard journey here – took a while to be paid well and respected and a starter in the NFL – when did it come to be part of your fabric to be a guy who gives back

These last few years I been fortunate to receive the blessings resulting from my talent.  I’ve been able to take care of my family and put us in a position where money is not something we need to worry about. Once that was no longer an issue I figured now I fortunate enough to look to the community and other avenues and areas that have needs.  They always say when you get a blessing it’s good to reach back and give one.  That’s what I’m here for.  I’m a vessel now and I’m going to use my platform to help someone else

- This may seem like a stupid question, but why didn’t you quit?  You spent 4 years in football’s minor leagues – and football doesn’t even really have a minor league – that’s how far away from the big time you were.  You land with the Colts on practice squad, the Rams pick you up, but then you’re out of work again for another year – and your in your mid to late 20’s.  Is there a point when you just say you know what, I gotta go earn a living some other way

I did – but the people in my corner…there were a few times I just knew it wasn’t working but something deep down inside me said if I keep at it and kept the drive going that something was going to break for me and fortunately things started to change my way

- You went to Texas State – how to you end up at Texas State and not Texas or Texas A&M?

I came out in ’03.  I had a lot of offers – I think I was top 10 in the state when I came out.  Outside of my head coach in high school I really didn’t have anyone giving me guidance on how the whole system of college football works, so I just figured if I went to school and played football I’d get to the NFL.  I didn’t know about divisions or conferences or anything – I just figured I’d go to school.  I had a friend I wanted to help out – so I told schools I’ll go to your school if you give my friend a scholarship.  I think I told that to like 6 teams that offered me scholarships and Texas State was the only one that said yeah

- 403 plays last year as a Redskin, gave up 0 sacks – one holding call, which I’m sure was a bad call (laughs) – a pretty clean slate

- Is that friend still a friend

Oh yeah – he’s like a brother to me – we’ve known each other since 3rd grade

- Lot of Bills fans call into the show and want to know about Josh Allen, what can you say about him

Oh man – he’s a dog!  His locker is like three down from mine – I love his energy, he’s like, I don’t even know how to put it into words, he’s just got a vibe about him like it’s just amazing.  I’ll give you a little story – every Wed we have a competition in the offseason workouts, there’s a basketball goal on the practice field and they call up one guy from offense and one guy from defense for a shooting competition.  Josh got called up – Josh didn’t miss a shot.  He shot one, he did a Steph Curry – he shot and turned around and cheered.  I was like oh man – that man got something right there

- This team brought in a bunch of new linemen – line coaches always say it takes forever to bring a group together, how fast can the Bills put this line together and make it a force

As fast as it needs to be.  The first game of the season we’ll be ready to go

Discussion after:

- Boy that’s a feel good story huh.  You think you can’t get over all the hurdles in life, there’s a guy who just kept hurdling and there he is starting up in Buffalo and his contract’s nice

- And making it both financially and in playing time in his 30’s! is when he really breaks through and gets paid

- Lot to admire there – if you’re a Buffalo Bill fan I’m sure you’re proud that your team was smart enough to sign a guy like this

- Boy, does he not fit with that organization or what?

- They want those good guys and they got one here

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 22

• stevewin changed the title to Ty Nsekhe - Sirius XM Radio Movin the Chains 5/17/19 (good stuff)

Caught the interview on my way home from work.  They have brought in a bunch of guys that are easy to root for. Man am I glad we didn’t bring in a douchbag like AB. Love this guys attitude of gratitude mentality!!! Good things are going to happen for him. Glad he’s on our team ?

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks for all the work transcribing that. You've done this a couple times, no? Really nice contribution. One stat, however, is slightly concerning. It makes me wonder how the fella got a big contract, actually. Namely, 403 plays last year as a Redskin, gave up 403 sacks. That's got to be some kind of record :devil: 

• Haha (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for transcribing that! Really appreciate you taking the time.

It was a radio interview.

Went to the App and rewound. You’re right, it can’t be linked. Pat Kirwin is my favorite nfl ‘voice’, and he loved Ty!

My compliments to @stevewin, outstanding job transcribing it. 

What a story! Hollywood script, if ever there was one. I’m completely on board with him now and hope he excels as a Bill.

If not, there’s a Soul/R&B gig somewhere in his future. Barry White reincarnated!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am wondering how the linemen are going to adjust to the competition. Some of the ones who signed earlier probably did not anticipate so much competition.

Bust your butt and may the best guys win!

34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Went to the App and rewound. You’re right, it can’t be linked. Pat Kirwin is my favorite nfl ‘voice’, and he loved Ty!

What a story! Hollywood script, if ever there was one. I’m completely on board with him now and hope he excels as a Bill.

If not, there’s a Soul/R&B gig somewhere in his future. Barry White reincarnated!

Ty was a backup swing tackle with the Redskins. When their all-pro LT Trent Williams went down and he filled in there was not a discernable drop off  He also was a well respected player on the team. The Skins wanted to keep him because of his versatility but because of their tight cap situation they knew that once he was on the market he was going to be lost. 

I'm not sure exactly where he is going to play on the line. I think that that he is going to be a RT with Ford playing right guard. Because of his versatility he can also comfortably play LT. He certainly wasn't a high profile signing but was a good signing from both a talent and value standpoint. He's a piece to the puzzle of upgrading the OL and contributing to putting Josh Allen in a position to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like a player who is able to handle multiple positions who would work with line coach.  OL coach would see how a lineman is getting beat, send it sub who has been watching film/pads/printouts with OL coach to go in and then OL coach would help starter to get back on track.

All good.  At some point these have to translate to wins/   First is building the mindset...I am happy the Bills are on the way on it.  They have also stocked up the talent decently with the signing the Center and the two WRs and drafting Oliver and Ford.  That is five good players added to the roster.  Rest are all a question mark at this time and it is up to this coaching staff to take this team to the next level.   Just the addition of those five players should give the bills 2-3 additional wins over last year.  And if the coaching staff can find more stars out of this roster, that will add a couple more wins and we will be on our way.

12 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Thanks for all the work transcribing that. You've done this a couple times, no? Really nice contribution. One stat, however, is slightly concerning. It makes me wonder how the fella got a big contract, actually. Namely, 403 plays last year as a Redskin, gave up 403 sacks. That's got to be some kind of record :devil: 

fixed :nana:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Barry White indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0BSy1IQE-4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1