RIP I.M. Pei

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

Legendary architect of RocknRoll HOF, World Trade Ctr, Louvre annex, National Gallery, Boston’s Harbor Towers, etc., at age 102...

https://www.syracuse.com/us-news/2019/05/im-pei-architect-who-designed-everson-museum-newhouse-1-dies-at-102.html

I can always appreciate someone who's at the top of their respective profession. It drives me nuts that these type of people are barely known, but some brain dead celebrity get 1 million Twitter followers. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I can always appreciate someone who's at the top of their respective profession. It drives me nuts that these type of people are barely known, but some brain dead celebrity get 1 million Twitter followers. 

There are more twits than intelligent people in world so it makes sense.

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

Legendary architect of RocknRoll HOF, World Trade Ctr, Louvre annex, National Gallery, Boston’s Harbor Towers, etc., at age 102...

https://www.syracuse.com/us-news/2019/05/im-pei-architect-who-designed-everson-museum-newhouse-1-dies-at-102.html

Minoru Yamasaki designed the World Trade Towers. He was a “Screen Artist” taking from the works of Le Coubusier. 

All three were geniuses. 

Edited by Nanker

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

He designed a couple of buildings at SUNY Fredonia.  Hated his "riot steps" 

What are "riot steps?"  Does it have to do with controlling crowds, protests???

I graduated SUNY BFLo... The architecture of then original Amherst Campus was in response to upheavals and protests from the Vietnam Era.   No Student Union (there is one now), housing set away, private/secret to the University President's office, etc... Basically, a decentralized plan.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What are "riot steps?"  Does it have to do with controlling crowds, protests???

I graduated SUNY BFLo... The architecture of then original Amherst Campus was in response to upheavals and protests from the Vietnam Era.   No Student Union (there is one now), housing set away, private/secret to the University President's office, etc... Basically, a decentralized plan.

There was a student union on the Buffalo campus paid for by Buffalo student dues and it was taken by University against student wishes with a large protest.

I was part of it and one of first "arrested" after sit-in.

I was taken by campus police, photographed with two of them to ensure there were witnesses (I knew both of them and they were both 6'3 burly guys; in my arrest photo I have my arms over each of their shoulders with them trying to keep straight faces) and then told if I was in no trouble (no guarantee those days) my arrest would be dismissed.  It did not even show up on my security record when I got my first security clearance.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/17/2019 at 4:00 PM, The Senator said:

Arguably more legendary as a NYT crossword puzzle answer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Arguably more legendary as a NYT crossword puzzle answer.

I have never onced solved the NYT puzzle.  

One of my favorite NYT puzzle moments is the opening scene from West Wing, Episode One - White House COS Leo McGarry calling the NYT to tell them they’ve misspelled Gadahfi’s name!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I have never onced solved the NYT puzzle.  

One of my favorite NYT puzzle moments is the opening scene from West Wing, Episode One - White House COS Leo McGarry calling the NYT to tell them they’ve misspelled Gadahfi’s name!

I can solve Monday's and Tuesday's, usually under ten minutes, and Wednesday's about half the time.  Once I solved a Sunday crossword (roughly equivalent to Thursday), with four other people, and it took us three days.

Never solved a Thursday or Friday.  The Saturday puzzle is known as the "B word-mother of all crossword puzzles" (from the Times Crossword puzzle editor himself).  I've never gotten more than five words in that.  

I actually use them as diagnostic tools.  If I can't solve a Monday puzzle, it's a sign of clinical depression.

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I can solve Monday's and Tuesday's, usually under ten minutes, and Wednesday's about half the time.  Once I solved a Sunday crossword (roughly equivalent to Thursday), with four other people, and it took us three days.

Never solved a Thursday or Friday.  The Saturday puzzle is known as the "B word-mother of all crossword puzzles" (from the Times Crossword puzzle editor himself).  I've never gotten more than five words in that.  

I actually use them as diagnostic tools.  If I can't solve a Monday puzzle, it's a sign of clinical depression.

Well.....how wonderful....and awful.....

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I used to save Monday and Tuesday for the train ride home.  Starting on Wednesday I’d just buy the Post.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Sex and emotion will always be more interesting to mankind than concrete and steel.     But if structures endure then the architects are usually remembered for their work.