Bills secondary left out of top-tier mention

46 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just watch the pundits take notice when we start stunting Eddie O back there...

Didn’t Wrecks have some hare brained schemes about defensive players dropping back in passing situations to non traditional coverage from their normal positions?

Every attacking 34 defense drops lineman occasionally 

the weakside olb on the Line Of scrimmage drops a good amount in a 34(that was Hughes a lot) .., also D ends are also occasionally asked to drop for overload blitzes

von Miller drops in coverage a few times a game

rex got too cute

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

This has nothing to do with journalism, it's commenting/ editorial. 

I don't know how you guys don't get exhausted of being upset of an article. Who cares.

Op/Ed is journalism. Just like investigative, special features, politics, and everything else under that umbrella.

Even a cursory examination of the pass defense stats suggests they were lazy in not mentioning the third best overall pass defense in the league last year. 

I could give two schits if any writer criticizes the Bills, warranted or not. But I have a low tolerance for laziness.

26 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

We gave up 114 yards per game at 4.2 ypc and there were multiple games with over 200 yards.

Overall, yes, the numbers were good but that’s because we were always playing from behind and other teams were simply running to burn the clock. 

They were 16th in terms of rushing yards/game surrendered.  And the number of running plays they faced was 22nd most, which is about 3 more running plays a game from top-10.  If they were in the bottom of the pack in most of those categories, I would agree with you.  But the passing yards/play is the most important stat.

Edited by Doc

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

They were 16th in terms of yards/game surrendered.  And the number of running plays they faced was 22nd most, which is about 3 more running plays a game from top-10.  If they were in the bottom of the pack in most of those categories, I would agree with you.  But the passing yards/play is the most important stats.

Yeah - there were 3 that stick out.  NE just ran it up and down the field.  The Jax game before fournette got tossed. And the Marlon Mack game.

What's so stunning when looking at some of the defenses stats - We lost to Miami, and Houston and both had like 200 yards.  Then there was the bears game where we somehow lost by 30 to a team with less than 200 yards on offense.  I remember the end of the season but man, its easy to forget how lost this team was on offense even with Josh Allen.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

By: Justin DiLoro | 5 hours ago

Usually, teams who have the best secondaries often limit the number of passing yards allowed.

Apparently, Fox Sports didn’t get that memo.

The outlet sent out a Twitter poll asking “Which NFL team has the best secondary?” The poll, which featured the options of the Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Chargers, Chicago Bears, and Cleveland Browns, curiously left off the team who allowed the fewest passing yards in the league last season.

The Buffalo Bills.

The Bills led the league by allowing only 179.8 passing yards per game, a 15-yard cushion over the second-place Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bills safety Micah Hyde noticed this omission.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/17/buffalo-bills-secondary-left-out-mention-micah-hyde/

Hopefully, it will put a little "s*** in our secondary's grits" and inspire them on game day.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just watch the pundits take notice when we start stunting Eddie O back there...

Didn’t Wrecks have some hare brained schemes about defensive players dropping back in passing situations to non traditional coverage from their normal positions?

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, he used to send Dareus, at 340 or so pounds into coverage. Sometimes he would stand still waving his arms.

Something wrong with that? ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I will accept ‘fancy’, ‘tricky’, or ‘unconventional’.  ‘Cute’ is not allowed for that mug, and even less allowed for his brudder.

Touché 

Rex outsmarted himself and turned a dominant 43 defense into a joke of a 34 that was full of out of  position players 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

We gave up 114 yards per game at 4.2 ypc and there were multiple games with over 200 yards.

Overall, yes, the numbers were good but that’s because we were always playing from behind and other teams were simply running to burn the clock. 

16th in rush yds allowed and that 4.2 you referenced was good enough for 10th best in the league. that's hardly teams running "all over us".... i'm confused as to how somebody would take the time to look up those numbers but then leave out the rankings..... that's a complete lack of context.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They were 16th in terms of rushing yards/game surrendered.  And the number of running plays they faced was 22nd most, which is about 3 more running plays a game from top-10.  If they were in the bottom of the pack in most of those categories, I would agree with you.  But the passing yards/play is the most important stat.

exactly. not sure where he's getting "ran all over us"

must have just watched the 2nd pats game and tuned out the rest.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was a twitter poll...90% of the people have no idea about anything other than their own team they just go with what they have heard...some of that is now probably several years old

It's just a twitter poll. Not very scientific, is it?

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It was a twitter poll...90% of the people have no idea about anything other than their own team they just go with what they have heard...some of that is now probably several years old

Beat me to it.

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

16th in rush yds allowed and that 4.2 you referenced was good enough for 10th best in the league. that's hardly teams running "all over us".... i'm confused as to how somebody would take the time to look up those numbers but then leave out the rankings..... that's a complete lack of context.

exactly. not sure where he's getting "ran all over us"

must have just watched the 2nd pats game and tuned out the rest.

My point was that there were multiple games where teams barreled over us. It happened many times last year. 

Great run defenses don’t allow that, in my opinion. We need to improve there and, again, in my opinion, it requires setting the edge which we failed to do in multiple games. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

My point was that there were multiple games where teams barreled over us. It happened many times last year. 

Great run defenses don’t allow that, in my opinion. We need to improve there and, again, in my opinion, it requires setting the edge which we failed to do in multiple games. 

all fair points on that last statement there.I agree to be a great d they need to sure up the run d. but you're moving the goal posts. that was not your original point....  your initial argument was about our pass numbers being helped by an awful run d. the run d was average in yds allowed and top ten in YPC. that point holds no water. you referenced those numbers as if they somehow helped that argument. and they didn't.... at all.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

all fair points on that last statement there.I agree to be a great d they need to sure up the run d. but you're moving the goal posts. that was not your original point....  your initial argument was about our pass numbers being helped by an awful run d. the run d was average in yds allowed and top ten in YPC. that point holds no water. you referenced those numbers as if they somehow helped that argument. and they didn't.... at all.

Fair enough. 

• Like (+1) 1