Question about your breakfast eggs

Do you prefer using the white eggs or the brown shell eggs? Myself, I used to do the white shell eggs all the time then the past year or so I have just been buying the brown eggs. To me, the yolk is better but some people say they can't tell the difference.

What do you think the difference is between the white shell and brown shell eggs are to you. I've cracked both together and the brown egg yolk is brighter yellow than the white shell and I guess I just like the yolk better.

So which kind do you guys tend to purchase and what is the difference between the two in your opinion?

My wife raises chickens. The shell color has no effect on flavor or nutrition. Certain breeds lay brown eggs, others lay white eggs, and some lay eggs that are blue/green.

Flavor and nutrition can be affected by the hen's diet. Eggs that come from hens who only get commercial feed (like the ones that produce cheap store-bought eggs) tend to have lighter yolks with less flavor and nutrition. Hens that can free-range and forage for a more balanced diet produce eggs with deeper-yellow yolks that have more flavor and nutrients.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

My wife raises chickens. The shell color has no effect on flavor or nutrition. Certain breeds lay brown eggs, others lay white eggs, and some lay eggs that are blue/green.

Flavor and nutrition can be affected by the hen's diet. Eggs that come from hens who only get commercial feed (like the ones that produce cheap store-bought eggs) tend to have lighter yolks with less flavor and nutrition. Hens that can free-range and forage for a more balanced diet produce eggs with deeper-yellow yolks that have more flavor.

Do you think that one yolk would have less cholesterol than the other?

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that one yolk would have less cholesterol than the other?

I don't think so, but dietary cholesterol isn't related to serum (blood) cholesterol, so it shouldn't matter.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/fats-and-cholesterol/cholesterol-in-food

Edited by WhoTom
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shell color makes no difference.  Freshness and how the chickens are fed and treated does.  My wife and I eat a lot of vegetarian / vegan (ish - not so hardcore) meals and we do both like eggs.  Because we only eat them once or twice per week I try to buy the best quality / freshest eggs I can get.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Flavor and nutrition can be affected by the hen's diet. Eggs that come from hens who only get commercial feed (like the ones that produce cheap store-bought eggs) tend to have lighter yolks with less flavor and nutrition. Hens that can free-range and forage for a more balanced diet produce eggs with deeper-yellow yolks that have more flavor.

Thanks for the info. I myself can tell a difference in the yolks. I had a friend a while back that raised chickens as well and he would always give me a lot of eggs and they were always brown. They always tasted better to me and that's what got me stuck on the brown ones. They costs more but just better eggs to me.

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Shell color makes no difference,  white, brown, blue, green, whatever, it is all the same to me.

But I do not like egg yolks. ? At all. ?

What the blue hell is wrong with you? lol

Yeah some people just like to get the protein. Some will boil the eggs and throw away the yolk and only eat the white. I like it all myself. However I don't like the runny yolk, I like the yolk fully cooked.

• Haha (+1) 1

Daughter-in-law’s flock now at 4 speckled, 3 red, from an original 10 (5+5).  Free range chickens means free range coyotes stop by on occasion for KFC (Kompletely Feathered Chickens).  We’ve taken steps to rein in the girls, the yolks aren’t as yellow nor the shells as brown since they now have a much more limited run, and are on much more commercial feed than free ranging bugs off the lawn.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

This lady at work raises her own egg laying chickens and sells dozens at the office.  I think she sells them for $5 a dozen (free range, organic, blah blah).  People just gobble them up.  I can’t get past the unusual shape and color of her eggs.  Some are brown, some are speckled, some are whitish tan color.  And there are some that are spherical like ping pong balls, and others that are oblong and weird shaped.  Stuff creeps me out.  No thanks.

• Haha (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I'm having eggs on a burger, or for dinner, can I use breakfast eggs?

Funny, I rarely eat eggs for breakfast.  I guess I rarely eat anything substantial for breakfast.  Cup of coffee or tea, and a granola bar is my go-to.  I usually will have eggs for a quick lunch or a late dinner.  Fried over easy with crispy sour dough toast.  My wife buys the Eggland’s Best which are supposed to be better quality than normal store brand.  I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference if I had to take the egg “Pepsi challenge.”