SDS

Better ways to handle game days?

I don’t want to forget to ask this before September suddenly appears, so I’ll ask now and see if anyone has a good suggestion. 

It is readily apparent to any blind fan that game days are complete ***** shows here and I’d like to make it better. 

I think the largest issue is the Sunday only fan, who comes here, witnesses a loss and just had diarrhea of the fingers - only to disappear until next week. Those posters aren’t helpful. 

I think another issue issue is the haphazard topic titles on game day. I’ve often wondered if we shouldn’t have some premade topics ready to go for each game. 

Either way, I’m looking for ideas to make this place more readable on game days. Suggestions?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This isn’t particularly helpful, but for as much as I’m on this board I actually rarely visit on game days. If I’m going to provide some feedback, though, perhaps you limit thread-starting capability from a certain time before the game to a certain time after and have several “game time” topics open for posters to utilize (as well as any existing threads)?

• Like (+1) 5

I think a game day wall being opened before games would work if software allows it and would be default board on game days.  It would be more like a chat forum and the MODs can determine after the game what threads to merge and which ones were just redundant and disappear when game day board disappears. Notification would be given of course that threads can be started but most of them will probably be gone post game.  It would allow some to vent but the threads would not hang around for days.  A new ban of game day ban would be implemented for those insist on creating threads elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 2

As an end user I never feel that this place is a **** show on gamedays. I can imagine it is a lot tougher on the mods to merge threads, but that is invisible to most of us. The old BBMB was a true **** show on gamedays, without fail the board would crash and you couldn’t get in. I tend to use the gameday thread if I can’t watch the game because the real time updates from fans are faster and more detailed than NFL.com or ESPN.com. For that it is easy enough to just jump to the end of the thread.

• Like (+1) 6

Posted (edited)

That’s a tough one. I think the people who come on here Sundays for the games do it just to casually talk about the game. They aren’t looking for in depth conversations or discussions. I wonder if those types of conversations belong in a chat room/box type format. That way if people do get diarrhoea of the fingers it’s limited to that space and doesn’t increase the thread counts and the more in-depth conversations can still take place in the threads that currently exist.

Also, chats allow for more real time updates for fans who can’t watch. 

But then chat boxes get easily flooded and it can be hard to follow conversations.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

Any board gets a little bananas in game days,  win or lose.  I’m not a long time member, but I’ve never found it too hard to navigate and get to the more substantive discussions.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

That’s a tough one. I think the people who come on here Sundays for the games do it just to casually talk about the game. They aren’t looking for in depth conversations or discussions. I wonder if those types of conversations belong in a chat room/box type format. That way if people do get diarrhoea of the fingers it’s limited to that space and doesn’t increase the thread counts and the more in-depth conversations can still take place in the threads that currently exist.

But then chat boxes get easily flooded and it can be hard to follow conversations.

I think the game day threads that get made (pregame/1st half/ 2nd half) work pretty well I mean they can move really fast but with the way threads work it's pretty easy to move through at your own pace or skip ahead to the present. Plus it makes a pretty interesting record of reactions to read through. After the game though I don't know one way or another there is usually an overreaction and some level of chaos. The best way to deal with that is mods probably not much else for it. Someone I think once suggested a post game reaction thread which if nothing else I suppose could be a convenient place for mods to sweep new threads that get made that are basically just reactions to the game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I think the game day threads that get made (pregame/1st half/ 2nd half) work pretty well I mean they can move really fast but with the way threads work it's pretty easy to move through at your own pace or skip ahead to the present. Plus it makes a pretty interesting record of reactions to read through. After the game though I don't know one way or another there is usually an overreaction and some level of chaos. The best way to deal with that is mods probably not much else for it. Someone I think once suggested a post game reaction thread which if nothing else I suppose could be a convenient place for mods to sweep new threads that get made that are basically just reactions to the game.

These all could be accomplished with a chat room. You could also achieve chats but I'm not really sure that's needed. I'd say for the most part, a day or so after those threads probably aren't really visited. They end up locked anyways and this would free up space server side. It would also be easier for a MOD sitting in the chat room to monitor and boot people if necessary. I suppose it would require a MOD to be available tho.

I'm just thinking in terms of topics tend to be more in depth discussions, whereas game day threads are a lot of reactionary/general chit chat. 

Can you hook a breathalyzer to keyboards?

Barring that, this is a great question. The more transient nature of the chat room is conducive to game days and definitely helps wash away the worst of the posts. But that’s been unsuccessful in the past—people just didn’t use it—not against it though especially if there is no competing game day thread or a game time lockout of TSW. 

Technologically to prevent the overposting on game day and encourage use of a chat room, could there be a posting limit per poster during game times? (May not be technically feasible but would encourage people to chose their posts more wisely.)

I’m always all for tougher moderation but that ruins your day and is too much to ask of the all-volunteer TBD management. 

As always, I trust your judgment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Posted (edited)

I like the current game day format. One critique I’ve always had (and I know I’m in the minority) is that I don’t mind separate threads discussing similar issues. Mainly I feel this way on game days due to signing on to 15 pages of posts, reading through all of it already established banter and trying to jump into a conversation/comment. It can be difficult and frustrating. 

Often on game day I really enjoy signing on because it affords me a healthy outlet for my frustrations. I get that you don’t want people venting and clogging the board. However, the duplicate threads don’t bother me since they allow for more conversation with new posters at different times throughout the day.

How about a pinned thread for “snap reactions” or venting? This could give a specific avenue to those that just need a place to go and let off steam on a topic, or wish to bask in the sorrow of someone else’s words. That way the main board is reserved for the serious discussions only and a mod could simply drop an unintelligent or rambling post in the "snap reactions"

35 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Can you hook a breathalyzer to keyboards?

Barring that, this is a great question. The more transient nature of the chat room is conducive to game days and definitely helps wash away the worst of the posts. But that’s been unsuccessful in the past—people just didn’t use it—not against it though especially if there is no competing game day thread or a game time lockout of TSW. 

Technologically to prevent the overposting on game day and encourage use of a chat room, could there be a posting limit per poster during game times? (May not be technically feasible but would encourage people to chose their posts more wisely.)

I’m always all for tougher moderation but that ruins your day and is too much to ask of the all-volunteer TBD management. 

As always, I trust your judgment. 

This is a serious infringement on my first amendment rights! 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m a year rounder and I have to admit, I kind of enjoy the game day threads. Sure you have to sift through a lot of nonsense, but that’s part of the fun of it in a weird way. If it was my call I wouldn’t change a thing. It’s only 16 threads a year (hopefully more this year).

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I like the game day pre made threads because I typically start watching about 20 - 30 minutes after the game starts so We can skip commercials and stupid TV commentary.

The pre made threads allow me to see fans reaction at the same moment I am in the game - maybe 30 minutes behind - whereas with the chat box that is nearly impossible.

If we went essentially full chat box on game day - this site would be useless to me - as it is - it works just fine and I think it is not bad - it is no different than other places where people want to talk.

If you wanted to create a few additional topics/reaction threads pregame and lock thread making until a few hours after the game that would be fine also.  I just prefer the stored conversation of the actual thread.

• Like (+1) 1

I, too, think the pre-made threads (pregame, 1st half, 2nd half) work well.

Why not just disable any new TSW thread creations until, say, 6am ET the following day?  This would help mitigate the haphazard topic titles on game day.  It would also keep those who've had too much to drink from creating unnecessary threads in TSW.

Perhaps (for post-game purposes) weekly threads you could add to the pre, 1st and 2nd topics could be:

Week 1 - Offense

Week 1 - Defense

Week 1 - Special Teams

Week 1 - Coaching

This way, people could post till their heart's content in the appropriate thread after the game is over.  If they want to praise/whine about Allen, they can do so in the offense thread.  If McDermott throws a stupid red flag - discuss in coaching.

Disable any new thread creations for the rest of the night and, hopefully, a lot of the extraneous topics will have been avoided.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

An official “Post Game Reaction” thread may help to reduce some of the diarrhea that happens. Unfortunately, many people think that their topic/reaction/analysis is unique and insightful, so they wouldn’t lower themselves to participate in a general venting thread.

Personally, I don’t really like to participate until a while after the game, when some of the longer analyses are posted. I lurk a little to see what the crazies are thinking, but there’s no need to jump into that swamp. 

Chat box is fun during the game, but it’s almost always a one way communication. Not much chance to react or respond since things happen so fast. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why not just disable any new TSW thread creations until, say, 6am ET the following day?  This would help mitigate the haphazard topic titles on game day.  It would also keep those who've had too much to drink from creating unnecessary threads in TSW.

Perhaps (for post-game purposes) weekly threads you could add to the pre, 1st and 2nd topics could be:

Week 1 - Offense

Week 1 - Defense

Week 1 - Special Teams

Week 1 - Coaching

This way, people could post till their heart's content in the appropriate thread after the game is over.  If they want to praise/whine about Allen, they can do so in the offense thread.  If McDermott throws a stupid red flag - discuss in coaching.

Disable any new thread creations for the rest of the night and, hopefully, a lot of the extraneous topics will have been avoided.

This would be a a discouraging move IMO. It would keep people (me at least) from posting, thoroughly reading, topics would be mixed and matched and it would be insane to  try and follow multiple conversations and different topics. I'm a little slow.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I love the chat room idea and maybe just have the first half and second half game thread opened with no other topics able to be started until 4 hours after the game. That would allow for most to calm down a bit.

Drive by pukers are going to blow chunks wherever they can, limiting open topics won’t chase them away. I don’t think navigating the discussion is beyond anyone that is interested in a good conversation.

If gamedays are a nightmare for mods I’d understand any changes. I find the meltdowns entertaining after a bad game, it usually gets me a laugh or two. 

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Week 1 - Offense

Week 1 - Defense

Week 1 - Special Teams

Week 1 - Coaching

Need Officiating as a topic because that is some people’s go to.

I agree with first half second half threads.  For someone who rarely gets to see the games I find it helpful to scroll to the last few pages to get the latest thoughts as the game winds down. Although I don’t post much I’ve read the board since the beginning in the 90s. I haven’t lived in Buffalo since 1983 but I come to read various posters who always seem to have good info. Keep up the good work. You are a lifeblood to some of us!

• Like (+1) 1

i don't mind the irrational anger fueled posts, for me i can't stand when the individuals post and then disappear.  If you're going to to start a topic, stick around and defend your position.  

• Like (+1) 1

Perhaps on game day, thread creation could require mods approval?

Seems to me the game threads (broken into first and second halves) work pretty well for the drive-by whiners. Heck, if I want to b word about something that's where I go, and the thread fades away and is gone in no time. Perfect place for the tomfoolery.

New threads, including when they are started and if they are suitable for creation in the first place is a subjective thing right now. So my thought is to clarify what can and cannot be made on game day, require mod approval, and just the first thread on the topic gets made. Any other threads submitted after would be applied to the preceeding appropriate thread and never even see the light of being it's own thread.

I know this idea is kind of heavy on the moderation, but I feel like gamedays is when you can count on multiple mods being active.

I have visited sites for other teams and my opinion is that this site is relatively tame compared to some others.  If you want a bad one for comparison, try the eagles or chiefs.  There are many crazy posts from people that become highly emotional and apparently know very little about the game.  Most posters here have a decent knowledge of the game and the league.  I don't mind the emotional posts on game days, but that's just me.

Create 5-6 Pinned Topics. Limit creating threads (Or get a mods approval, that may be tough for them)

Bills Pregame

1st Half

2nd Half

Immediate Reactions (For users to spout "The Diarrhea ")

Bills Postgame (For media and interviews)

Around the NFL Thread* (For non Bills games should anything major happen)

• Like (+1) 1

i, like @eball rarely post during the game, so hard for me to comment on how ell/not well the current set up works. I do come on frequently after the game, and have found little issue with people starting new threads etc. I like the post game threads 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

+1