Tech toys - you yearn for their return ... or not

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Like a bunch of three-year-olds driving bumper cars:

Never understood the fascination with this game..always thought it sucked.

Now, i can see wagering on it with a buddy, or maybe even turning it into a drinking game!

This looks like something we built in our basement in the  early 70's, that was fun as all get out to bet nickels and dimes on..yes my gambling starting early.

image.jpeg.794cd500980abdeb26d65931d6ee52db.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Now, i can see wagering on it with a buddy, or maybe even turning it into a drinking game!

This looks like something we built in our basement in the  early 70's, that was fun as all get out to bet nickels and dimes on..yes my gambling starting early.

image.jpeg.794cd500980abdeb26d65931d6ee52db.jpeg

I thought Electric football sucks too... Look at this wise-ass kid:

We had HO trains: (not exact, but had a mountain)

e39d0b3e8dda7d005f0a0c8047388f3e.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I thought Electric football sucks too... Look at this wise-ass kid:

We had HO trains: (not exact, but had a mountain)

e39d0b3e8dda7d005f0a0c8047388f3e.jpg

trains were for dummies..no skill required, they never crashed, and ya can't bet on who wins?

Edited by plenzmd1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

trains were for dummies..no skill required, they never crashed, and ya can't bet on who wins?

We had slot cars too.  Gotta try and beat the train crossing.

You may wanna rethink that... Great inspiration is here.

LoL

Now... Modern model trains have "speed control" = sorta lame.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

As a game, Electric Football sucked, I agree. For me and my friends, it was more like watching a movie that's so bad that you can't help but laugh at it.

remember the 1/24 slot cars? they were approximately 4" X 9". man they were fun. some of the best memories of my dad, were us playing with these classic, vintage slots. wish we still had 'em.

1966-pontiac-gto-blue-vintage-mpc-24_1_6

image504.JPG

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I loved the Preludes (and pretty much all Hondas) from that era.  They were very sporty and positively TINY and LIGHT compared to modern car standards.  For quite a while now Honda has been making horribly designed cars that are just straight up weird and ugly.  

I have no idea what's happened at the company; they can't make an F1 engine worth a damned anymore either.

Honda was on top of the world in the late '80s! 

As far as sales go, they're still on top of the world.

Toyota too. 

Both companies have renewed their interest in performance recently, so we've seen the return of the NSX and Supra.

Things are looking up for the regular consumer, but I agree that their styling leaves much to be desired.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

FWIW:  Vehicles today are the heaviest they have ever been (on average).  Hard to believe with all those past land yachts on the road.  Cars are fatter, heavier, wider. Just NOT longer.

Take a look at an old car by a newer one... Even the small ones today are much bigger, heavier.  It's a progression, no doubt.

https://slate.com/business/2011/06/american-cars-are-getting-heavier-and-heavier-is-that-dangerous.html

"Like Americans themselves, American cars are getting heavier and heavier every year. Our new cars are more efficient, with average fuel economy climbing and carbon-dioxide emissions falling over the course of the past 30 years. But that is not because they are lighter. The average new car weighed 3,221 pounds in 1987 but 4,009 pounds in 2010. Even small-size sedans have packed on the pounds, thanks to more-powerful—if more-efficient—engines, as well as features like nicer seats, more safety features, and more legroom."

Amazingly, the new Supra is lighter than the early 90s legend. That's quite a feat, considering what you've described. 

Much of the weight loss is owed to them getting rid of the back seat, I guess. The car is not as long, but wider and shorter, I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I know I played with that when I was younger, I don't remember if it was mine or my cousins. 

I do remember having a Robotix kit, I don't remember the cartoon though...

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

remember the 1/24 slot cars? they were approximately 4" X 9". man they were fun. some of the best memories of my dad, were us playing with these classic, vintage slots. wish we still had 'em.

1966-pontiac-gto-blue-vintage-mpc-24_1_6

image504.JPG

We had those — fun times.

• Thank you (+1) 1