Informative video on H. Phillips, Edmunds, Milano

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has the brute strength to manhandle guys. Him and Oliver will be so fun to watch 

Phillips and Oliver should develop a solid relationship. We have a good idea about Oliver already and Phillips play should elevate...he is still young himself. How can a player not do better with Oliver in support...he is probably contagious to be around.

Edited by Rocket94

20 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Phillips and Oliver should develop a solid relationship. We have a good idea about Oliver already and Phillips play should elevate...he is still young himself. How can a player not do better with Oliver in support...he is probably contagious to be around.

Hoping they add a few rookie edge rushers next year to add to the young front 7 they are building. 

34 minutes ago, Dopey said:

This. He can and I think will rotate with both Star and Oliver.

He can play both and I think Jordan Phillips can play both as well. It’s nice to have some versatile depth. 

29 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I know players are hard to find, but I would feel so much better having that one piece...a high quality and disruptive man on the edge.

If it’s a trade, I’d rather not pay a ransom like the Frank Clark trade and wait until next year to find a guy or remake the position entirely. There looks to be a solid free agent class next year and there will be quality ones in next year’s draft as well. I hope they don’t overpay for a defensive player and give up a next year’s 1st before we know what our offense looks like. Why handcuff ourselves like that? 

I do do think they may look for a smaller deal or a waiver pickup to add more depth. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

If it’s a trade, I’d rather not pay a ransom like the Frank Clark trade and wait until next year to find a guy or remake the position entirely. There looks to be a solid free agent class next year and there will be quality ones in next year’s draft as well. I hope they don’t overpay for a defensive player and give up a next year’s 1st before we know what our offense looks like. Why handcuff ourselves like that? 

I do do think they may look for a smaller deal or a waiver pickup to add more depth. 

I agree...please do not relinquish a 1st rounder! As much as I want an edge disruptor, I like the way Beane is building.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Considering he was backing up Kyle Williams and learning from him, and was pretty much drafted to replace him, he should get more playing time and be more productive.

I think he played more 1 tech than three tech.  Jordan Phillips, despite being a lot bigger, had more snaps at three tech in relief for Kyle Williams than Harrison.  Harrison has great hand usage and strength, but doesn't have as much explosion that three techs are able to use in being disruptive.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Yeah. Until the team is 100% on Allen we can’t give up 1s or 2s in moves like that.  The DE position on this team is definitely in need of attention though.  I do not know what up with the Bills and Hughes.  Not a peep about an extension, which worries me.  Hopefully it’s happening quietly.  No Shaq next season which leaves us with nothing at DE except a middling, very well paid Murphy.  So for 2019 we’ve got one difference maker and two very average players.

For 2020 right now all we have is Murphy.  Ugh.  The DE position is going to cost some cap space and/or draft capital to fix.  Two difference makers would be preferable to one if we are serious about the playoffs.  We also need at least one good depth player and, again, two would be better.  Murphy could be a guy who can continue to start while a rookie is brought along.  If we are confident in Allen, then making a big draft or trade move for such a player would be reasonable.  If Hughes also can be extended we are well on our way. 

To round out the front 7 we will have to replace or re-sign Lorax.  Also Milano will be entering his fourth season in 2020 so it’ll be proper time to give him a long term deal.  We seem set for a 3 DT rotation with Oliver, H. Phillips and Star so nothing to do there except look for our #4.  That’ll be J. Phillips this season but we will be looking for a cheaper alternative next. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah. Until the team is 100% on Allen we can’t give up 1s or 2s in moves like that.  The DE position on this team is definitely in need of attention though.  I do not know what up with the Bills and Hughes.  Not a peep about an extension, which worries me.  Hopefully it’s happening quietly.  No Shaq next season which leaves us with nothing at DE except a middling, very well paid Murphy.  So for 2019 we’ve got one difference maker and two very average players.

For 2020 right now all we have is Murphy.  Ugh.  The DE position is going to cost some cap space and/or draft capital to fix.  Two difference makers would be preferable to one if we are serious about the playoffs.  We also need at least one good depth player and, again, two would be better.  Murphy could be a guy who can continue to start while a rookie is brought along.  If we are confident in Allen, then making a big draft or trade move for such a player would be reasonable.  If Hughes also can be extended we are well on our way. 

To round out the front 7 we will have to replace or re-sign Lorax.  Also Milano will be entering his fourth season in 2020 so it’ll be proper time to give him a long term deal.  We seem set for a 3 DT rotation with Oliver, H. Phillips and Star so nothing to do there except look for our #4.  That’ll be J. Phillips this season but we will be looking for a cheaper alternative next. 

For one thing, the Bills should re-sign Jerry Hughes. He is still highly productive and I'd venture to guess that his ability to make plays is put to better use in McDermott's defense than it would be anywhere else. As long as Jerry is open to an extension and not asking for the moon, he should be re-signed. So that gives us Murphy and Hughes to start with. From there, a couple draft picks to infuse the position with youth should be all that's needed.

55 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think it’s doable next offseason to fill those holes. Hughes could come back, Shaq could take another step and resign, Murphy could prove he can stay healthy and return to 9 sack form. More will certainly need to be added. Looking at them to address it aggressively next offseason after they see what their offense looks like and they’ll figure out their needs moving forward. Beane will be on the hunt for any talent that moves. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has the brute strength to manhandle guys. Him and Oliver will be so fun to watch 

I cant remember his exact combine strength stuff but Harrison was off the charts on a few things.  Projected at the 1 tech as more of a backup to Star than Kyle.

Edited by Da webster guy

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I think it’s doable next offseason to fill those holes. Hughes could come back, Shaq could take another step and resign, Murphy could prove he can stay healthy and return to 9 sack form. More will certainly need to be added. Looking at them to address it aggressively next offseason after they see what their offense looks like and they’ll figure out their needs moving forward. Beane will be on the hunt for any talent that moves. 

It is doable, but there is a lot that needs done and the clock is ticking on some of it.  Hughes in particular.  If we don’t work something out before the season I expect him to want to hit free agency.  Then we are stuck with either tagging him or probably watching him walk.  Shaq almost certainly isn’t coming back.  Since the 5th year option came into existence only one player who had his option declined has re-signed with the team that drafted him. That was Mark Ingram with the Saints.  There obviously were players who were extended before or at the option deadline so I don’t count them.

Murphy coming back to form would be great, but here’s my issue with him: He hasn’t looked all that great since his positive PED test.  My worry is that he was only as good as he was because he was juicing and now that he (presumably) isn’t, he will be nothing more than average.  Maybe it was his injury that was the issue and I’m being harsh, but I will not expect him to be able to return to form until I see it.  It’d be great if he did though.

So so those are my worries.  Hughes walks, Murphy doesn’t come back to form and Shaq is out.  Ugh.  I’ll relax if/when we re-sign Hughes and Murphy steps it back up.  I’ve completely written off Shaq after this season.  Things can be worked out, but until I see something positive happen I’m going to be nervous. 

9 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

My biggest takeaway:  imagine how good this defensive unit could be if we fix the offense!  

Totally agree. I'm also excited to see what Oliver can add to this core group with White, Edmunds, Milano and Harrison. Jordan Phillips is also only 26 years old and I thought he added a lot of positives last year. 

4 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

That's good and all but our defense really took off when Vontae Davis retired. Best thing that could've ever happened to the unit. We should all thank him for realizing how bad he was and quitting. 

You mean this guy?

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/45bFgMyuE32_HxTcv7R_6gF9KSY=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7533011/brownshake.gif

Edited by mannc

19 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Good Video, I am so excited for Milano this year!

I was sold on Milano from his rookie year. I loved seeing him knife into the backfield and I was pretty sure he was going to be special. I wonder if he would have been considered for the pro bowl if he didn't get hurt last year.

20 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Considering he was backing up Kyle Williams and learning from him, and was pretty much drafted to replace him, he should get more playing time and be more productive.

And Kyle took up a ton of reps last season i think i recall. Went out strong as well !

but your point about being Kyles replacement ?  I believe was correct and  that was the running theme last year. Folks dog on him a bit too much for me. : (

Our D line played pretty decent to a man. Phillips is going to look very good this year the rotation , and if Frazier  can move him and or Ed out to ends on occasion ?

O lines are really going to have their handsful. If we can improve at linebacker play and health . Bills have a complete defense. ready for any occasion.

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I think he played more 1 tech than three tech.  Jordan Phillips, despite being a lot bigger, had more snaps at three tech in relief for Kyle Williams than Harrison.  Harrison has great hand usage and strength, but doesn't have as much explosion that three techs are able to use in being disruptive.

That may have been he lacked the Exp that Phillips had in the middle.
I could not say for sure, but was he spelling Star mostly ?

Milano and Murphy healthy would really help the team.

Not worried about Milano so much as Murphy. He can play for sure.

But he looked hobbled last year most of the time it seemed.

Lorax is likely to retire in my opinion and should have his replacement in house now ! They have some projects. But he will be tough to replace.

5 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I cant remember his exact combine strength stuff but Harrison was off the charts on a few things.  Projected at the 1 tech as more of a backup to Star than Kyle.

True but he still has the ability to play both spots due to his ability to beat one on ones. Hes certainly more of a 1 tech but I’m sure they will mix him in on both sides.