My Concern About Ed Oliver

Irv

I watched a ton of hi-lights on him.  He seemed to get doubled and tripled on almost every play and still dominated.  Looked like a beast.  But does anybody have at least, a little bit of concern about the conference he played in?  The American Athletic Conference is not exactly the SEC.  

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

I watched a ton of hi-lights on him.  He seemed to get doubled and tripled on almost every play and still dominated.  Looked like a beast.  But does anybody have at least, a little bit of concern about the conference he played in?  The American Athletic Conference is not exactly the SEC.  

The guy ran a faster short shuttle than Saquon Barkley. No, I'm not concerned that he played for Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I have more of a concern with the name Irv than I do with the level of his competition.

What's your concern?  I think Irv is rather snappy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

JA played in a small conference and didn’t dominate....so far so good...Oliver has a “killer’s” mentality and hates to lose...you don’t find that just anywhere...I think he will be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've seen people counter this with, "check out his freshman game against Oklahoma."

7 tackles and 2 sacks.  

• Like (+1) 3

If it makes you feel any better Ed Oliver was the 4th ranked recruit in the country. This isn’t some guy that over-achieved and got bumped up draft boards because he dominated lesser competition. He was an elite talent coming out of high school and a dominant player from the day he stepped on campus. There are ZERO concerns about that IMO. I’d be much more concerned if he was a 2-star that worked his way into a top 10 pick. Then I would wonder, “is he being bumped up because of his competition?” That’s not the case here.

• Like (+1) 7

I actually think it is easier to evaluate guys on those type of teams. They are the focus of every team they go against without much help. A lot of player from Clemson and Alabama get vastly overrated because the whole roster is stacked, it’s much easier to produce in those situations because no one can focus on you. Same thing with Josh Allen last year, he had to carry an offence that was vastly overmatched most weeks. 

• Like (+1) 3