Bills Drafted Starter Outlook

A few months ago I posted about Peter Kings piece discussing the strength of good teams being the players who start are guys they drafted and that is the true goal for a good roster. Most teams have somewhere between 5-8 players starting that were drafted by that franchise. The top teams have nearly half their starters or more be drafted guys or undrafted free agents. It goes without saying that if you can build a homegrown roster you have done a good job finding the right pieces and salary cap wise you have some cost certainty as opposed to bidding on free agents at a higher price.

So how does the 2019-2020 roster look heading into the season? Here are my presumptive starters:

QB: Josh Allen (Drafted)

RB: Shady McCoy

WR: John Brown

WR: Robert Foster (Drafted)

WR: Cole Beasley

TE: Tyler Croft

LT: Dion Dawkins (Drafted)

LG: Quintin Spain

C-:Mitch Morse 

RG: Cody Ford (Drafted)

RT: Ty Nsekhe

Offense four starters drafted with the assumption Ford makes it in. Zay Jones could be argued as one of the WR's and long term Dawson Knox hopefully becomes the TE starter. Additionally guys like Wyatt Teller and Devin Singletary could emerge. I think long term the Bills need either Foster to develop into a true #1 guy or they need to draft a guy like that to solidify the offense.

DE: Jerry Hughes

DT: Ed Oliver (Drafted)

DT: Star Lou/Jordan Phillips

DE: Trent Murphy

MLB: Tremaine Edmunds (Drafted)

WLB: Matt Milano (Drafted)

SLB: Lorenzo Alexander

CB: Tre White (Drafted)

SS: Micah Hyde

FS: Jordan Poyer

CB: EJ Gaines/Levi Wallace (Drafted)

The defense has at least 4 starters drafted with Levi Wallace the possible NCB depending on scheme and how he does. What is nice with the defense is they have guys like Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson, & Levi who all can jump in if needed which is a good sign of depth. My hope is in the next year or two they can find a good DE in the draft to finish off the youth movement they have created.

Overall this is a lot better then last year where the Bills had at the start of the season maybe 5 guys who were drafted as part of the core for the roster that season. Like I said a pass rushing DE and a good WR in the draft would solidify a really solid core they are developing for the long term.

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Foster was a UDFA

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Neither was Wallace.

I think he means they werent FA and were brought in as rookies (and I believe for the intents and purposes of this thread UDFA would be the same point as a draftee), but yes they were not drafted

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely agree with the OP’s overall point about home grown talent versus cap-crashing FA pickups. Of course, this FO had little choice this offseason considering the dearth of long term talent drafted by Overdorf , Whaley, et al, but long term their vision is clear. Also, unsurprisingly the QB is most important for that, such as Seahawks being able to parlay Wilson’s rookie deal with the first iteration of that Super Bowl roster. 

True to some extent. However, there is a big difference between good starter and starter. Many drafted guys start because teams suck at that position. That is much different than drafting a long term starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

True to some extent. However, there is a big difference between good starter and starter. Many drafted guys start because teams suck at that position. That is much different than drafting a long term starter. 

Very true its why the 2015 team is the biggest waste and misuse of talent since the SB days. If you look at the amount good starters they had and the failed results it still is mind blowing.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Very true its why the 2015 team is the biggest waste and misuse of talent since the SB days. If you look at the amount good starters they had and the failed results it still is mind blowing.

On that 2015 roster guys recently drafted by Bills that are NFL starter quality. 

Offense

Watkins

Woods

Glenn 

Henderson

Wood

Miller

Goodwin

Def

Dareus

Brown

Bradham

Darby

Gilmore

Brooks

McKelvin

A Williams

• Like (+1) 4

The real key to having success with players you draft is thinking enough of them to sign them to a 2nd contract after their rookie deal is finished..

It seems like it’s been a while since the Bills have done this with one of their picks and its likely Shaq Lawson won’t be breaking that drought...

Hopefully a few from the 2017 class will be retained..

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The real key to having success with players you draft is thinking enough of them to sign them to a 2nd contract after their rookie deal is finished..

It seems like it’s been a while since the Bills have done this with one of their picks and its likely Shaq Lawson won’t be breaking that drought...

Agreed. While Shaq might not be signed Milano, Edmunds, & Tre White all seem likely to need big deals which is a great thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Another interesting thing to look at on the list of names, how many were just signed to their 2nd contract?   Getting FA around 26 to 28 isn't bad either as likely will not grow too old to preform up to their contract.  A couple of 34 YO signings aren't bad for leadership, but other than Ty N none signed over 30

36 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I think trading for a player should be seen as similar. We traded a drafted player and got a long term starter with shady and Jerry. 

I do agree with this and it is a fair point.

• Like (+1) 1

If Vosean Joseph can bulk up a bit, I could see him supplanting Zo at SLB. His natural position is WILL, but I'd like to see them put the best 3 on the field and I believe he's gonna be another 5th RD. LB gem. Not sure he can make that transition to SLB, but it'd be great.

Considering how prevalent 2 LB sets have become, it's gonna be tough for him to earn playing time and he's not gonna take Milano's job. I'm sure they'll find a way to get him on the field if he's who I THOUGHT HE WAS.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If Vosean Joseph can bulk up a bit, I could see him supplanting Zo at SLB. His natural position is WILL, but I'd like to see them put the best 3 on the field and I believe he's gonna be another 5th RD. LB gem. Not sure he can make that transition to SLB, but it'd be great.

Considering how prevalent 2 LB sets have become, it's gonna be tough for him to earn playing time and he's not gonna take Milano's job. I'm sure they'll find a way to get him on the field if he's who I THOUGHT HE WAS.

I am with you but I will say this.....if all Joseph every ends up becoming is a solid backup to Milano and a special teams demon at a 5th round pick.....it is still essentially a win because you need those guys as well.

Gonna be hard to replace Zo