Harrison Phillips. Role model.

I just wanted to start a thread to honor the work and time Harrison Phillips has been putting into the community. For the those who aren’t aware or for the older crowd that maybe doesn’t have social media or follow all the little story lines, this is a kid who really gets it. Between the relationship he built with Pancho Billa, the local work with victory sports,  the leadership role he’s taken with the Buffalo Bills foundation, and various visits and time he’s put in with the local children’s hospitals, as well as the ones in his home town, it’s just really nice to see a young man really give his time to the benefit of so many. He’s even one of the few that will actually respond back to you on social media as well. It’s just a real honor to have this guy on our team, and I do believe he deserves some recognition although I’m sure he does not want it. I truly hope he’s able to have success on the field, but he’s certainly a success off of it.

• Like (+1) 30
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewCastleFanBills said:

But on the field, I wanna see his nickname side, Horrible Harry.

Or ya know we could praise the kid for being a good human being which are hard to come by these days it seems like.  Don't downplay the importance of being a good human being that cares about others and the community.  There are too few of them.  It's disappointing that a lot of fans only care about what players do on the field but their off of the field work is more important to our society/real life and it just gets brushed under the rug.  Proud to have him on the team.  

Thanks for the post.  A quality young man we have and someone I hope will be a leader on the team and in the community.  

• Like (+1) 4

Love everything about Harrison and that we saw enough to draft him. I'm very grateful for all that he does in both our community and his. As an older guy, I don't really care that he responds back on social media. The reason for that is some guys get too wrapped up in it and take it too personally. 

Now on to football. I wrote in another thread I think he will be a big part of why our defense will excel this year. I feel he will rotate with both Ed and Star. He's big enough to plug in when Star needs a breather and he's 2 years into our defense. As far as rotating with Ed, Harrison led Stanford in tackles as a DT. He's got an eye for the football. He also is good at putting his hands up to tip passes when he's not in the backfield wreaking havoc.He showed some decent feet and enough quickness to work well with Star when he's in for Ed. He's no Ed Oliver, but he will be someone the o-line will have to reckon with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Or ya know we could praise the kid for being a good human being which are hard to come by these days it seems like.  Don't downplay the importance of being a good human being that cares about others and the community.  There are too few of them.  It's disappointing that a lot of fans only care about what players do on the field but their off of the field work is more important to our society/real life and it just gets brushed under the rug.  Proud to have him on the team.  

Thanks for the post.  A quality young man we have and someone I hope will be a leader on the team and in the community.  

I think it's awesome that Harry is a good human being an exceptional person at heart. Same with Lorenzo and other members of the team. Community contributions should not be underestimated.  But, at the end of the day this is an NFL organization. He was drafted to stuff the run and chase down quarterbacks, not be a Goodwill Ambassador though it's always a plus. I'm not trying to undermined anybody's way of living or thinking. I've been a Buffalo Bills fan for over 38 years and consider myself an overall decent person. I'm not trying to sound selfish when I say I want to see my team lifting a Lombardi trophy than handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving. I do stuff like that at church during the holidays. Just being real, flame away if you feel the need to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m glad that you started this thread @Codyny13. It just dawned on me the other day how incredibly active he’s been this offseason. He’s out that 99 jersey on more time since the season ended than when it was going on. He seems like a great young man and a guy that we are lucky to have.

To me as well, you can tell he really takes pleasure in doing it. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think it's awesome that Harry is a good human being an exceptional person at heart. Same with Lorenzo and other members of the team. Community contributions should not be underestimated.  But, at the end of the day this is an NFL organization. He was drafted to stuff the run and chase down quarterbacks, not be a Goodwill Ambassador though it's always a plus. I'm not trying to undermined anybody's way of living or thinking. I've been a Buffalo Bills fan for over 38 years and consider myself an overall decent person. I'm not trying to sound selfish when I say I want to see my team lifting a Lombardi trophy than handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving. I do stuff like that at church during the holidays. Just being real, flame away if you feel the need to.

No need to flame you. We all want that Lombardi trophy, just wanted to take a minute to show gratitude to a young man who’s using his platform to really help and serve the community. As we all know, this team goes beyond sports for a lot of us, and at the end of the day, putting smiles on the faces of dying children isn’t something that should be undervalued.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I just wanted to start a thread to honor the work and time Harrison Phillips has been putting into the community. For the those who aren’t aware or for the older crowd that maybe doesn’t have social media or follow all the little story lines, this is a kid who really gets it. Between the relationship he built with Pancho Billa, the local work with victory sports,  the leadership role he’s taken with the Buffalo Bills foundation, and various visits and time he’s put in with the local children’s hospitals, as well as the ones in his home town, it’s just really nice to see a young man really give his time to the benefit of so many. He’s even one of the few that will actually respond back to you on social media as well. It’s just a real honor to have this guy on our team, and I do believe he deserves some recognition although I’m sure he does not want it. I truly hope he’s able to have success on the field, but he’s certainly a success off of it.

Sounds like he's got too many outside interests distracting him from football.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The OP was giving credit to the player for his off the field work and the person I responded to disregarded the post and only mentioned his on-field play...

We cant just take a second to just talk about a young mans off the field work can we? 

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

The OP was giving credit to the player for his off the field work and the person I responded to disregarded the post and only mentioned his on-field play...

We cant just take a second to just talk about a young mans off the field work can we? 

Wow, way to be selective. I musta really laid into Harry on that one huh? This is why I ended my post with "flame away". I knew there'd at least be one or two of you. BTW, I do appreciate the young man's efforts.

52 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Wow, way to be selective. I musta really laid into Harry on that one huh? This is why I ended my post with "flame away". I knew there'd at least be one or two of you. BTW, I do appreciate the young man's efforts.

You didn’t read carefully did you? I said the person I initially responded to (which wasn’t you) ignored all of his off the field work which is what the entire post was about.  I don’t know why you are jumping in and saying flame away? 

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

To be fair, this IS a football board. It's awesome that Harrison is a terrific kid. You definitely root for someone doing all the right things in life. That being said, it's unrealistic to think the conversation won't veer into something football related.

Edited by LSHMEAB