10 Buffalo Bills 2018 starters who could be off roster in 2019

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Brandon Beane was arguably the most active general manager in the NFL this offseason.

The Buffalo Bills GM added close to 20 players in free agency, eight players in the 2019 NFL Draft and 12 undrafted free agents. (.....)

Here is a look at 10 players who made at least three starts last season at risk of losing their roster spot in 2019.

RB LeSean McCoy (13 starts)

LeSean McCoy’s status with the Bills came into question when the team selected Devin Singletary in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Beane has since stated that McCoy will be the Bills’ Week 1 starter, but that doesn’t mean that McCoy will last the season in Buffalo.

FB Patrick DiMarco (5 starts)

Patrick DiMarco is a valued special teams player in Buffalo. The fullback played 53 percent of the team’s special teams snaps one season ago. He’s not nearly as important to the offense, however, after playing less than 16 percent of the team’s snaps one season ago.

TE Jason Croom (3 starts)

Jason Croom flashed potential in 2018, but the Bills are going to need to see more from the tight end this summer if he hopes to remain on the roster.  Buffalo added ... free-agent signings Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith as well as rookies Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney and Moral Stephens.

G Wyatt Teller (7 starts)

Wyatt Teller had an up-and-down rookie season when he got on the field with the Bills. It’s possible that he remains on the 53-man roster in 2019, but his starting job is in serious question after the additions of Quinton Spain, Spencer Long and Jon Feliciano.

C Russell Bodine (10 starts)

Bodine has no chance of beating out Mitch Morse for the starting center job and could be released due to the Bills also having Spencer Long on their roster. Long is best suited at guard, but can also handle backup duties at center.

G Vlad Ducasse (9 starts) and G Jeremiah Sirles (5 starts)

Vlad Ducasse started the first nine games of the 2018 season.... Jeremiah Sirles ended up making five starts. One season later, both find themselves on the outside looking in.  Long performed well at guard for the Jets in 2018. Feliciano has experience playing under OL coach Bobby Johnson and Spain has consistently performed well as a starting guard in the NFL. Throw in Cody Ford as a possible guard option

Will also make a disclaimer that all of them could be gone tomorrow if Beane got a decent trade off.  But would be less likely IMO to see them get cut.  Having said that:

I think Croom will stick as TE is a tough position for a rookie to come in so can see Know being inactive the first month or so of the season.  Sweeney as a 6th rounder will likely be on the PS 

Same could happen with Teller too though may be afraid there to expose him to others grabbing him.

Do think Vlad and Bodine are gone, they seem to like Sirles.  I also think one of their O-line signings will get cut.

People keep talking about how Long is better at guard.  Wasn't one of the big issues he had was terrible snaps due to a torn ligament?  Was his blocking as a center worse than as a guard or was it strictly snapping the ball?

Also agree with DiMarco likely gone

Wouldn't be shocked to see them trade McCoy.

I actually think this is a pretty good list.  A bunch of these guys were activated, much less started because "he's all we got".

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/10-buffalo-bills-2018-starters-who-could-be-off-roster-in-2019.html

I think we keep McCoy through the start of the season to see what he's still got, and if he hasn't still "got it", then a trade is unlikely.

Given that Morse missed a number of games (5?) with a concussion last season and that Bodine >> Groy at center, it's possible Bodine might stick (though if I never again see footage of Bodine being pancaked onto his back in front of Josh Allen or thrown into him, it will be too soon)

Overall though, I'd love a cut list that includes DiMarco, Croom, Ducasse, Sirles, Bush, and Borjorquez.

Teller, Bodine, and Lewis would be fine because it would mean we think we have better.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

There is no way Brandon Beane dumps a one year player in  Wyatt Teller unless he completely bombs

Eh, it all depends upon how he looks against who they brought in.

One of the things I like about McDermott and Beane is that they seem less addicted to giving their mistakes more rope than Nix or Whaley.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ducasse, Sirles, DiMarco, and probably Teller will be gone. My last roster spot currently is a toss up between Teller and Feliciano. 

We saw your projected roster thread....bwhahaha

Not sure Teller can make the cut. Lot of experienced depth there now, he’s in for the battle of his young life for sure. 

I expect McCoy is a lock. 

Everyone else I would expect to be gone before week 1. 

No matter how you look at it or the million roster projections we see before the season starts we are cutting some talent at receiver and offensive line. Not top tier talent obviously but we are going to lose some talented players and keep a couple questionable guys in their place. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of the things I like about McDermott and Beane is that they seem less addicted to giving their mistakes more rope than Nix or Whaley.

Jumpin’ Toledo!!!  Don’t anyone mention you-know-who.  It will put the cheech on us fo’ sho’!

Don’t know what the story is with Ryan Lewis but I agree with the article that he is most likely gone..

I thought he played OK when given his limited opportunities last year, but he seemed to go straight back to the bench or not active the following  week...

Dont think McD is a fan.

7 hours ago, Steve O said:

I think Teller and McCoy stay. The others were mostly starters from desperation.

I this might be pretty accurate

15 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Hopefully MCcoy will be the 1st to go. Really don't want to see another year of him running to the left sideline for 1 yard. 1 trick pony

ALL of the running backs looked like this last year.....because the problem was the offensive line

I am not saying McCoy has not lost a step....I am saying that even with a lost step he still might be pretty good.

Singletary is still going to end up being valuable because McCoy gets dinged up.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know about Teller. He was a rookie, so it would be foolish to give up on him so soon. Spain will be one of the starting guards, but Feliciano and Long aren't much competition. Teller could start again and have the usual 2nd year improvement. It could be worse. Maybe Long will regain his old form, but he hasn't played well recently. He was hurt last year and played hurt and at a low level.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ducasse, Sirles, DiMarco, and probably Teller will be gone. My last roster spot currently is a toss up between Teller and Feliciano. 

What lineman would you keep on the 53?  We kept 9 a year ago so assuming the same it would be

Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nseshke - with 4 backups Long as a swing g/c, feliciano, waddle as a backup swing tackle, and maybe teller as a younger project.  

As far as we know as fans, Teller is a complete unknown. Hard to predict anything with him until TC and preseason. 

Shady is so polarizing to this fan base. I don’t get it. There’s not a RB alive who would have looked good behind that line last year. He’s not going to be a workhorse back at this stage of his career (he’ll have 15 or fewer touches per game) and the money is not a problem for the Bills, so someone please explain why so many want to run him out of town?

• Like (+1) 2

Damn.. I thought Bodine was legitimately one of our better offensive linemen last year, and now I can't find a spot on the 53 for him... That's a heck of a job done by the FO to reboot this. 

I wonder if Boettger can be stashed on the PS? I loved how he went after Alonso after the cheap shot. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually think this is a pretty good list.  A bunch of these guys were activated, much less started because "he's all we got".

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/10-buffalo-bills-2018-starters-who-could-be-off-roster-in-2019.html

I think we keep McCoy through the start of the season to see what he's still got, and if he hasn't still "got it", then a trade is unlikely.

Agreed on Shady. If they were gonna dump him, he'd already be gone. Unless he looks AWFUL in camp, he'll be on the roster. Not like he's gonna get enough carries in the preseason to excel or fail.