SAT (yes that one) to add adversity scoring

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

is the Midwest on the list of gotta-get-in glamour schools?

Up here i thought it was mainly Ivy and some noted brain schools and exclusive private schools that most of us have never heard of.

There are many very well regarded universities in the Midwest and admissions to them are very very competitive.  Under represented races (and genders in more gender concentrated majors) have been given preference for a long time.  Financial aid and "scholarships" are awarded based on financial disclosures pretty readily.  IMO and from what I've seen with my own 3 kids that went to college the schools have already developed their own diversity and adversity admissions practices. 

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

There are many very well regarded universities in the Midwest and admissions to them are very very competitive.  Under represented races (and genders in more gender concentrated majors) have been given preference for a long time.  Financial aid and "scholarships" are awarded based on financial disclosures pretty readily.  IMO and from what I've seen with my own 3 kids that went to college the schools have already developed their own diversity and adversity admissions practices. 

i got to see that Michigan thinks it's twice as intellectually accomplished as the whole of the Ivy League combined   :(

i could name a few schools in the MW that are very strong academically.... but few rich folk are moving their kids to fly-over land

32 minutes ago, mead107 said:

41% of students that go to college drop out before getting degrees.  Heard that on the news this morning.   

Which is why free college is a bad idea.  The dropout rate will rise significantly and taxpayers should not pay for people not to finish.  People can still work their way through college if they are determined to get a college education, especially with all the online course availability now. 

48 minutes ago, mead107 said:

41% of students that go to college drop out before getting degrees.  Heard that on the news this morning.   

the % of those starting out full-time actually completing an undergrad degree in the normal # of years, given an extra year, is very low

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Which is why free college is a bad idea.  The dropout rate will rise significantly and taxpayers should not pay for people not to finish.  People can still work their way through college if they are determined to get a college education, especially with all the online course availability now. 

Bingo! A synonym for something you get for free is ...’worthless’.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

the % of those starting out full-time actually completing an undergrad degree in the normal # of years, given an extra year, is very low

No it is not. 

https://www.creditdonkey.com/college-dropout-statistics.html

still a high number.   

These numbers are unreal. 

As I said 50% of kids should never go to college.  

A high number will never use their degree.  

• 3 months later...

The Wall Street Journal reports the change will not stop the collection of information on a student’s background, but rather the College Board will no longer assign a score based on it.

The new “Landscape” information will not alter students’ test scores and only provides information on high schools and neighborhoods, not individuals, according to the College Board. The Landscape information to be given to admissions officials will include data on the neighborhoods’ median family income, housing stability, education levels and crime rates.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/17/2019 at 10:12 AM, plenzmd1 said:

because many a standardized test are a reflection of the education you have received to date, and not necessarily indicative of your capability to learn and the grades you may be able to achieve.

My kids got every advantage in the world, top-flight prep school, tutors for subjects, tutors specifically for standardized tests, ability to take the test numerous times etc, ability to pay a psychiatrist to certify my sons ADD and apply for accommodations on the test($1,000) Tutors alone gained my daughter 7 points on the ACT( started at 24, ended at 31). 

Compare that to a kid in a single family home, no experience in the family with college, only decent meals may be at school, 1 shot at taking the test, no tutors, and less than stellar resources at the school to teach the curriculum required on the tests. 

Do you really think that standardized test reflects the relative ability of both groups?

Have you apologized yet for your privileged lifestyle?

they removed analogies from the SAT because kids can't bend their mind around them any more.

so they are basically giving up on a major portion of speech and life enjoyment for cultured and educated adults over 30 years old

yay!!!

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they removed analogies from the SAT because kids can't bend their mind around them any more.

so they are basically giving up on a major portion of speech and life enjoyment for cultured and educated adults over 30 years old

yay!!!

Well I associate those words in this way so I'm not actually wrong. Stop trying to invalidate my feelings and experiences! 

/s

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well I associate those words in this way so I'm not actually wrong. Stop trying to invalidate my feelings and experiences! 

/s

very disappointed to see that kids under 20 can't figure out analogies

must make it tough to talk to people beyond truncated scientific fact, or try to close read a poem

let alone not be able enter the world of love and emotions or develop a spiritual angle to one's existence