SAT (yes that one) to add adversity scoring

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what any of that means...but if you say so.

I got the part about his friends who dumpster dive but the first statement was written in Canadian and Greek to me.

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what any of that means...but if you say so.

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I got the part about his friends who dumpster dive but the first statement was written in Canadian and Greek to me.

He's saying the kids would rather eat junk food and are throwing away good nutritious food.  And the janitors are eating what they throw away (?).

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's saying the kids would rather eat junk food and are throwing away good nutritious food.  And the janitors are eating what they throw away (?).

I got that part thus the dumpster diving comment.

I think it's a good idea.

Now, instead of having to bribe people, falsely claim to being a row crew athlete or paying someone to take the SAT for you, all you have to do is get an address in a bad neighborhood to give your kid that extra advantage.

Much less risk of persecution, and a lot cheaper.

20 hours ago, Paulus said:

Umm, yeah. Transfer to a Compton HS for graduation...

This is my new company's purpose. To relocate HS seniors to the ghettos of LA for graduation. Haha. Wtf is going on with the world?

This sex strike since aborion laws started kicking back the infanticide laws is crazy, too.

Um....liberal idiot are making up ‘feel good’ rules as they go along?

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I had to look this up, but this is not even close to applicable. IThis is more akin to saying in a year, we are going to have a golf match to see who the better golfer is. between two kids .One kid gets to train and practice every day for a year with a top-flight swing coach, a sports psychiatrist, and the best clubs money can buy, and oh BTW has two parents who grew up with golf. The other kid gets to practice once a week on a driving range with 30-year-old clubs with Levi as his instructor, and whos Mom has never watched one hole of golf in her life....wonder who statistically has a better chance to win that match.

I laughed pretty good at me as a golf coach.

The situation is somewhat reversed, but it still applies.  I don't deny that adverse life circumstances can affect standardized test scores.  I deny the idea that these factors affect all people in the same, measurable way.  We can throw statistics around all we want but growing up poor and going to a high school with no AP curriculum doesn't bring the same amount of "adversity" to each person, just like being ugly or pretty doesn't affect everyone the same way.  Kids of the same age can grow up next door to each other, each in a four person family that includes a single mom who is chronically unemployed, and not experience the same amount of "adversity."  Yet according to the chart in the article they would receive the same "adversity score."

The other issue with this is that it's really just a preening virtue signal from College Board.  Colleges can ignore it if they want, they can use it if they want, but at the end of the day it has no effect on your actual combined SAT score (similar to the writing portion they added some time ago), just like it won't have any effect on your ability to do well in college.  Colleges also already have ways of capturing this information in their application process (like they capture writing ability with the admissions essay).  College Board doesn't care if a poor black child gets into Harvard, they care about their image in our hyper-PC culture.  If they cared that much, they'd give away their SAT prep books by the dozens at "undermatching" high schools.

One's math and reading scores on the SAT and one's ability to do well at university both come down to three things, in my estimation: brain power, willingness to prepare/put in the work, and quality of previous education.  Exactly one of these is up to the student.  Sucks to suck, life isn't fair; but adversity, measurable or not, doesn't prepare you for the academic rigor of higher education, and it certainly doesn't prepare you to pay off the massive debt that comes after you flunk out.

38 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I laughed pretty good at me as a golf coach.

The situation is somewhat reversed, but it still applies.  I don't deny that adverse life circumstances can affect standardized test scores.  I deny the idea that these factors affect all people in the same, measurable way.  We can throw statistics around all we want but growing up poor and going to a high school with no AP curriculum doesn't bring the same amount of "adversity" to each person, just like being ugly or pretty doesn't affect everyone the same way.  Kids of the same age can grow up next door to each other, each in a four person family that includes a single mom who is chronically unemployed, and not experience the same amount of "adversity."  Yet according to the chart in the article they would receive the same "adversity score."

The other issue with this is that it's really just a preening virtue signal from College Board.  Colleges can ignore it if they want, they can use it if they want, but at the end of the day it has no effect on your actual combined SAT score (similar to the writing portion they added some time ago), just like it won't have any effect on your ability to do well in college.  Colleges also already have ways of capturing this information in their application process (like they capture writing ability with the admissions essay).  College Board doesn't care if a poor black child gets into Harvard, they care about their image in our hyper-PC culture.  If they cared that much, they'd give away their SAT prep books by the dozens at "undermatching" high schools.

One's math and reading scores on the SAT and one's ability to do well at university both come down to three things, in my estimation: brain power, willingness to prepare/put in the work, and quality of previous education.  Exactly one of these is up to the student.  Sucks to suck, life isn't fair; but adversity, measurable or not, doesn't prepare you for the academic rigor of higher education, and it certainly doesn't prepare you to pay off the massive debt that comes after you flunk out.

I nominate reluctant Golf coach LeviF91 for Education Czar.  

If their test is so bad at judging a students aptitude for college success then why wouldn’t the people who write the stupid test just make a better test? For example, they could have a number of questions geared directly at Urban Students! Maybe ask a few in ghetto slang?

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If their test is so bad at judging a students aptitude for college success then why wouldn’t the people who write the stupid test just make a better test? For example, they could have a number of questions geared directly at Urban Students! Maybe ask a few in ghetto slang?

What, and end up with a bunch of 70-year old undergraduate women?

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

national lampoon magazine did that back in the 80s or a year when it was relevant

this is not a new topic, this has been going on since 1973 with few speed bumps slowing it down

On 5/16/2019 at 6:33 AM, BeginnersMind said:

Going through the college process right now and it's astonishing how different it is in many ways. The question on everyone's lips is "Are you a first generation college student?" Because if you are, boy do colleges want you!

Add this news, that the SATs are adding something called an Adversity Score this year. (The ACTs have one coming, so no worries: All the tests will have it soon.)

It will take into account the following factors to give a weighted score for admissions offices:

image.thumb.png.8b4bb9ba9a7aeb631ebb85bae5a8d8ae.png

I couple the above with this WaPo article (I can't read this today because I'm over the 2-per month article limit) about how colleges are struggling to keep their first generation college students in school. As I recall the article, students are struggling in spite of having a lot of support network. It turns out (shocker!) that they just weren't quite ready to be at Harvard. 

Congratulations on getting your GED.

It's not an easy achievement and I'm certain you worked very hard to attain it.

Will be interesting to see if the ACT follows suit.  The SAT isn't used that much in the Midwest, the ACT is the dominant test.  ACT will be forced to if schools want the adversity score.  Most schools though are already using much of the same data that's in the SAT adversity score as they capture that info on applications. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, keepthefaith said:

Will be interesting to see if the ACT follows suit.  The SAT isn't used that much in the Midwest, the ACT is the dominant test.  ACT will be forced to if schools want the adversity score.  Most schools though are already using much of the same data that's in the SAT adversity score as they capture that info on applications. 

is the Midwest on the list of gotta-get-in glamour schools?

Up here i thought it was mainly Ivy and some noted brain schools and exclusive private schools that most of us have never heard of.