SAT (yes that one) to add adversity scoring

Going through the college process right now and it's astonishing how different it is in many ways. The question on everyone's lips is "Are you a first generation college student?" Because if you are, boy do colleges want you!

Add this news, that the SATs are adding something called an Adversity Score this year. (The ACTs have one coming, so no worries: All the tests will have it soon.)

It will take into account the following factors to give a weighted score for admissions offices:

image.thumb.png.8b4bb9ba9a7aeb631ebb85bae5a8d8ae.png

I couple the above with this WaPo article (I can't read this today because I'm over the 2-per month article limit) about how colleges are struggling to keep their first generation college students in school. As I recall the article, students are struggling in spite of having a lot of support network. It turns out (shocker!) that they just weren't quite ready to be at Harvard. 

18 minutes ago, Nanker said:

So, if they score high/low? enough do they just get handed their diploma or do they actually have to attend some classes first - you know - like Obama did. 

Not sure why you are Obama-obsessed but he was very book-learned.

The schools are struggling with the unprepared applicants though. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Not sure why you are Obama-obsessed but he was very book-learned.

The schools are struggling with the unprepared applicants though. 

I heard Obama knew lots of words. Great words. 

10 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Going through the college process right now and it's astonishing how different it is in many ways. The question on everyone's lips is "Are you a first generation college student?" Because if you are, boy do colleges want you!

Add this news, that the SATs are adding something called an Adversity Score this year. (The ACTs have one coming, so no worries: All the tests will have it soon.)

It will take into account the following factors to give a weighted score for admissions offices:

I couple the above with this WaPo article (I can't read this today because I'm over the 2-per month article limit) about how colleges are struggling to keep their first generation college students in school. As I recall the article, students are struggling in spite of having a lot of support network. It turns out (shocker!) that they just weren't quite ready to be at Harvard. 

Free lunch rate?  :wacko:

What scholarly papers, tomes, or books did this POS author? What proof - other than Michael Beschloss’s bizarre proclamation that “he’s quite possibly the most intelligent President we’ve ever had.”

The jug-eared stuttering doofus was constantly tongue tied when he was without a TelePrompter. He’s a vacuous self-aggrandizing fool with delusions of grandeur. I used to call him Pitney Swope, but he’s really more a mix of that and Chauncey Gardner. 

Now were here finding out - to little surprise- that he’s been selling out the country on the scales of the Clintonista regime.  

***** them all. I’m tired of this *****. And I’m tired of playing nice. 

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Umm, yeah. Transfer to a Compton HS for graduation...

This is my new company's purpose. To relocate HS seniors to the ghettos of LA for graduation. Haha. Wtf is going on with the world?

This sex strike since aborion laws started kicking back the infanticide laws is crazy, too.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:33 AM, BeginnersMind said:

i have not researched this at all yet, but have been saying for a decade race should not be used for set-asides atc in higher education, income should be. So on the surface, i like this.

BTW, I pay for WAPO, but in chrome just go over to the little menu thingee, hit open an incognito window..and voila..no 2 article limit!

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Free lunch rate?  :wacko:

not sure if you are serious, but a huge indicator typically of a schools performance on standardized tests. More free lunches, lower incomes, more single-parent households, less parent involvement, more likely to not have college-educated parent(s), higher costs per student etc...all lead to lower test scores across the board

If a student  can’t score well on a standardized test what exactly are they going to be doing in college? Until college is free (which I don’t support) this is just another recipe for DISASTER for the ‘underserved’ population. Now they’ll have wasted another six months to a year of their lives before defaulting on loans for a degree they never got. Brilliant!

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

If a student  can’t score well on a standardized test what exactly are they going to be doing in college? Until college is free (which I don’t support) this is just another recipe for DISASTER for the ‘underserved’ population. Now they’ll have wasted another six months to a year of their lives before defaulting on loans for a degree they never got. Brilliant!

because many a standardized test are a reflection of the education you have received to date, and not necessarily indicative of your capability to learn and the grades you may be able to achieve.

My kids got every advantage in the world, top-flight prep school, tutors for subjects, tutors specifically for standardized tests, ability to take the test numerous times etc, ability to pay a psychiatrist to certify my sons ADD and apply for accommodations on the test($1,000) Tutors alone gained my daughter 7 points on the ACT( started at 24, ended at 31). 

Compare that to a kid in a single family home, no experience in the family with college, only decent meals may be at school, 1 shot at taking the test, no tutors, and less than stellar resources at the school to teach the curriculum required on the tests. 

Do you really think that standardized test reflects the relative ability of both groups?

Edited by plenzmd1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, LeviF91 said:

"It was then that Diana Moon Clampers, the Handicapper General, came into the studio with a double-barreled ten-gauge shotgun."

I had to look this up, but this is not even close to applicable. IThis is more akin to saying in a year, we are going to have a golf match to see who the better golfer is. between two kids .One kid gets to train and practice every day for a year with a top-flight swing coach, a sports psychiatrist, and the best clubs money can buy, and oh BTW has two parents who grew up with golf. The other kid gets to practice once a week on a driving range with 30-year-old clubs with Levi as his instructor, and whos Mom has never watched one hole of golf in her life....wonder who statistically has a better chance to win that match.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

because many a standardized test are a reflection of the education you have received to date, and not necessarily indicative of your capability to learn and the grades you may be able to achieve.

My kids got every advantage in the world, top-flight prep school, tutors for subjects, tutors specifically for standardized tests, ability to take the test numerous times etc.  Tutors alone gained my daughter 7 points on the ACT( started at 24, ended at 31). 

Compare that to a kid in a single family home, no experience in the family with college, only decent meals may be at school, 1 shot at taking the test, no tutors, and less than stellar resources at the school to teach the curriculum required on the tests. 

Do you really think that standardized test reflects the relative ability of both groups?

Measurement of current academic ability level? Probably not that terrible of a measurement tool.

Measurement of potential academic ability level? Terrible tool.

But the place to make up for lack of access to better academic education is not starting as a freshman in college accepting admissions and scholarships in place of students that have demonstrated that they are currently prepared for the challenge.  This only increases the number of kids starting in college academically behind their peers and the college's academic norms.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Measurement of current academic ability level? Probably not that terrible of a measurement tool.

Measurement of potential academic ability level? Terrible tool.

But the place to make up for lack of access to better academic education is not starting as a freshman in college accepting admissions and scholarships in place of students that have demonstrated that they are currently prepared for the challenge.  This only increases the number of kids starting in college academically behind their peers and the college's academic norms.

all good points, and am not sure of the answer. As the WAPO article noted, first generation and many minority students face challenges in college that others do not..and some are addressing those issues with innovative programs. But you are correct, when you start out behind academically, it can be a tough row to hoe to get get caught uo.