Mass Incarceration Report

This Brennan Center Report has been getting a lot of traction lately for the reason that the Rs and Ds have shifted their positions on incarceration substantially in the last 4 years. 

Whether it’s more rehabilitation, less privatization of prisons, better programs for those returning from prison, different sentencing guidelines...the answers are not clear but the desire for changing the system reaches across party lines (praise Jesus!), and we may see this as a bipartisan (Hallelujah) issue in the next couple of years. Seeing a thoughtful publication like this that has both Koch and Bernie is good news. 

The one by Mark Holder might be interesting for PPP folk or Kushner second. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

I do have to say that the idea of private owned prisons is not a good one to me..............When I was first told about them, I thought the liberal telling me it was full of crap, as usual, so they don't have them in NYS  

38 minutes ago, bbb said:

I do have to say that the idea of private owned prisons is not a good one to me..............When I was first told about them, I thought the liberal telling me it was full of crap, as usual, so they don't have them in NYS  

NYS made it illegal in 2000.  My main problem with for profit prisons are they're incentivized to find ways to keep the number of inmates high.  That's where lobbying groups come in to encourage legislators to enact stricter laws to keep that cash flow coming in.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

NYS made it illegal in 2000.  My main problem with for profit prisons are they're incentivized to find ways to keep the number of inmates high.  That's where lobbying groups come in to encourage legislators to enact stricter laws to keep that cash flow coming in.  

That's what I'm thinking..............Didn't know NYS used to have them. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not just that, but it's prone to corruption. A couple of asshat judges in PA went to prison for taking kickbacks to send kids to prison:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2011/08/12/pennsylvania-judge-gets-life-sentence-for-prison-kickback-scheme/#5f91c5cb4aef

• Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not just that, but it's prone to corruption. A couple of asshat judges in PA went to prison for taking kickbacks to send kids to prison:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2011/08/12/pennsylvania-judge-gets-life-sentence-for-prison-kickback-scheme/#5f91c5cb4aef

Essayist #15 

"Judges who send children to prison in exchange for $1m deserve a bullet to the back of the skull..."  

---some anonymous message board guy

On 5/17/2019 at 2:32 PM, Foxx said:

oh boy.... only you would think whatever most of these deranged individuals think as being noteworthy.

from the link:

authorsinclude.thumb.png.42c9a4bd49994f1ac7c27b7ac78e67ca.png

I’m for the mass incarceration of all of those on that list. Let them each serve the time of some felon of their choice and let the criminal run free to live in their political savior’s house for the remainder of their sentence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1