Jets trade Darron Lee to Chiefs

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

Better than? Nope. I just feel the Bills have abhorrent depth at linebacker, even after the drafting of Joseph. With our defense employing fast, undersized guys at the position, injuries are always a concern to me.

I also feel that Darron Lee is exactly the type of linebacker, in terms of playing style and athletic traits, that McDermott could make highly effective. He could back up all three spots. I suppose, if all goes well, that that's what Joseph could do, as well. Here's hoping Joseph turns into a real player.

At the end of the day, McDermott/Beane seem to be the type that like to bet on high round, athletic talent that were misused/underused. If given the chance, I bet they could've turned Lee into a productive player. 

In any case, I wonder if Lee's addition and the switch to a 4-3 defense in KC means they release Ragland.

I would take Joseph all day over Lee, jmo. Plus a 5th for a backup who will be gone next year is a waste of an asset. I guess if he became good they would pay him,  but not sure how much he would play. He’s not really a McD type. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

And all those great moves got the Bills 6 wins in 2018.  If the team doesn't do significantly better on the field, then Beane will be no better than the duds who preceded him in the Bills FO.

Well even as a very optimistic fan , I knew deep down last year would be rough. We lead the league in dead cap by like 30 mil compared to the next team but we got alot of young guys playing time. The vision was always that we'd start really being a force in the upcoming season and we're built for long term success because these moves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Yada yada.  The Bills have been blaming the salary cap for their on-field woes  -- and their fans have been accepting that excuse -- for twenty years.  You can continue to buy it if you want, but I'm no longer buying the BS the Bills are selling.  Either they produce on the field or McDermott and Beane deserve to go the way of all the other failed Bills HCs and GMs over the last twenty years.   I'm not going to lionize McDermott and Beane for drafting Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford or any of the other youngsters until those players prove themselves on the field, either.

I don’t have any issue with a fan adopting a “show me” attitude.  That’s where I stand.  But you can’t blame the failures of past regimes on this one.  You can question their moves, including the salary cap/player purge, their selections, etc. but only the ones they’re actually responsible for - and it’s only fair to take into consideration the circumstances they inherited.  Personally I haven’t loved all of their moves (but I have loved some of them), but there does seem to be a plan being executed (even if I haven’t liked parts of it).  How about starting with giving them credit for the moves you think are good?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

To be fair, our 2016 draft is pretty much a nothingburger too

I can't argue from our current team POV, but it has to be viewed against the drumbeat of "regime and scheme change"

Through last season anyway, 4 of the guys had shown they could play in the NFL, their talents just weren't a good match (at all) for McDermott's scheme.

The overall success rate of guys drafted in the first 3 rounds is something like 30-35%, where success means "a guy who can play in the NFL", not a star.

As of right now, Washington is still looking for NFL work (or maybe not looking for NFL work?), and Kevon Seymour is a question after he spent last season on IR.

But Ragland and Lawson are still playing, Ragland for a contender.  2/3 for the first 3 rounds is good.

Our problem on the Bills is that due to constant regime change and (in my opinion) poor roster management of the guys who do prove out, we're constantly fielding unrealistic expectations for how many of our draftees will contribute and how much they'll contribute.  We've expected starters and stars out of the first 3 rounds, and from their first season, because that's what we've needed.  But that usually doesn't happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

You sound miserable.  Why bother subjecting yourself to this?

Great, great question.  A lot of Bills "fans" seem to want people to talk them out of being mad at the Bills...hugely attention seeking/needy.

28 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Are you and this guy the same person or just like uhh...spending time together?

Same person.  Real name:  Mike Schopp.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

How is this different from McDermott and Beane?   McDermott didn't like Watkins, and he was traded and replaced by Benjamin.  McDermott didn't like Dareus, and he was replaced, eventually, by Loutelei.   McDermott didn't like Taylor, and McDermott attempted to replace him with Peterman in 2017, and then did see him replaced by Peterman in 2018.  While there wasn't any indication that McDermott didn't like Glenn per se, certainly he was deemed expendable and was replaced by Dawkins who played poorly enough as a sophomore that there's realistic questions about his role on the 2019 team.

I don't think that Bills fans should laugh too much at the Jests and their fans because the Bills have done nothing in 20 years to demonstrate that they are in any way a competent organization. The currrent Bills regime hasn't yet proven their competence either.

I agree that Bills fans should not be laughing too much. because our past results have not been good either.  I think the Jets situation is a bit different.  Watkins was truly a bust by most accounts. He wasn't durable and was not worth the price.  It was the right decision to let him walk.  He has done very little with the Rams or the Chiefs.  He was a good young guy but missed too many games.  Cordy Glenn had injury issues as well and is on the downward slope of his career.  Cordy was a high priced guy that couldn't be depended upon to be on the field.  He was hurt a lot. He didn't exactly tear it up in Cincinnati.  Dareus was an overpaid, under performing player.  His behavior was a problem.  In Jacksonville, he has been mainly a rotational player but clearly not worth the value of his contract.  The common thread here is there was not enough value vs. the salary cost.  Lee doesn't fit this same pattern.  My point was that Gase has a history of having bad relationships within an organization (got him fired in Miami) and got rid of decent players for less than good reasons.  Furthermore, Gase is alleged to have made comments that Bell and Mosley aren't worth the value of their contracts.  Not the way to start building a working relationship with the guys that are likely to be the cornerstones and leaders of the offense and defense.  The Jets seem to be mired in this kind of crap frequently.  It goes beyond just having a bad team like previous Bills teams.

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

.......and that is why that GM is no longer with them.

There are reasons Whaley is gone but being forced to draft crappy players for a failed scheme isn't one of them.  It is very clear that Rex got what he wanted in that draft.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, Just Joshin' said:

Never thought much of Lee, makes sense for Jets.  Not sure why KC wants him even for a 6th.

KC had A TON of roster turnover on D this offseason.  Our D has sucked and they blew it up.  In doing so, the one area that got kind of left out is the LB position.  KC has Anthony Hitchens, who they were talking about moving to the weakside (where he DOES NOT BELONG), Ragland in the middle....(The Ragland experiment hasn't worked.  He can't cover, and maybe he'd be a decent thumber in an all down hill role, but last season the KC d asked the LB to diagnose, then move.  ALL our LB struggled with this to be fair)  And then Dorrien O Daniel....a 4th round tweener type we drafted out of Clemson last year...who looked promising when he did play.  We signed a scrub/cast away from Dallas that also plays WLB named something Wilson....truly an afterthought JAG type...and we didn't draft one.  It is BY FAR the shallowest positon grouping of the KC defense.  a 6th Rounder for Lee, who may fit better AND allow Hitchens to be the MLB (where he belongs) is actually a big deal for KC...cost pennies to add this guy who is supposedly good in coverage and will play a postion he's more suited to play.  

On 5/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Logic said:

Not gonna lie, I wish the Bills had given a 5th rounder for Lee. I think he'd be great as a Will in McDermott's defense. Oh well.

If the Jets to a 6th from KC, they would have taken a 6th from the Bills...no offesne...but the Bills 6th is going to be a better pick than KC's sixth...wich will be a late 6th.

Also....I've said it a few other places here, but Ragland has not worked out.  The injury maybe or the crap scheme...both combined...he's looked slow AND lost...a great combo.  If he can't win the starting MLB job...he is of no use for us and will likely be released.  Good on Beane to get that 4 out of us.(KC)

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

KC had A TON of roster turnover on D this offseason.  Our D has sucked and they blew it up.  In doing so, the one area that got kind of left out is the LB position.  KC has Anthony Hitchens, who they were talking about moving to the weakside (where he DOES NOT BELONG), Ragland in the middle....(The Ragland experiment hasn't worked.  He can't cover, and maybe he'd be a decent thumber in an all down hill role, but last season the KC d asked the LB to diagnose, then move.  ALL our LB struggled with this to be fair)  And then Dorrien O Daniel....a 4th round tweener type we drafted out of Clemson last year...who looked promising when he did play.  We signed a scrub/cast away from Dallas that also plays WLB named something Wilson....truly an afterthought JAG type...and we didn't draft one.  It is BY FAR the shallowest positon grouping of the KC defense.  a 6th Rounder for Lee, who may fit better AND allow Hitchens to be the MLB (where he belongs) is actually a big deal for KC...cost pennies to add this guy who is supposedly good in coverage and will play a postion he's more suited to play.  

If the Jets to a 6th from KC, they would have taken a 6th from the Bills...no offesne...but the Bills 6th is going to be a better pick than KC's sixth...wich will be a late 6th.

Also....I've said it a few other places here, but Ragland has not worked out.  The injury maybe or the crap scheme...both combined...he's looked slow AND lost...a great combo.  If he can't win the starting MLB job...he is of no use for us and will likely be released.  Good on Beane to get that 4 out of us.(KC)

It’s possible the Bills 6th is higher but by the time you get to that round who cares -  but the Bills don’t need him (nor would they want him) and the jets weren’t trading him in the division. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s possible the Bills 6th is higher but by the time you get to that round who cares -  but the Bills don’t need him (nor would they want him) and the jets weren’t trading him in the division. 

It's possible I'll get struck by lightning during my date with scarlett johansen...but not likely.  Same applies to the question of which team will be picking lower/higher in the draft.

15 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Except that the Jetss are our division rivals. There is ABSOLUTELY reason to believe that they'd ask a higher price from a team they play twice a year than from a team in the AFC West.

Also, I expect you'll still be hanging around our boards and touting your Chiefs if/when they regress this year and barely secure a Wild Card spot?

Edited by Logic