High praise from Gil Brandt for the Bills’ offseason moves

13 hours ago, Putin said:

I want to face Rosen !!!! 

Me too. I've been watching Cards games since he was traded to Miami. 

Rosen blows. He makes about one good throw a game. He doesnt step into the pocket, his accuracy is widely erratic as a result. His foot work is awful sometimes and he is a checkdown machine. I hope he starts every game. He is terrible

Yes the team sucked around him, but he had better weapons than we did week one last year. 

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

I think when you look at any team, their playoff chances rely greatly on the health of their starting QB.  There is a reason why one is a starter, and one isn't.  With that being said, I believe we are in a better position this year to absorbe a 3-4 game stretch where our back up QB can emerge with a winning record.  

17 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Well, the Philadelphia Eagles won a Super Bowl led by backup Nick Foles so it IS possible. Just very, very rare. 

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on this.

Eagles won SB with backup, Foles.

Giants won SB XXV with backup, Hostetler

Rams won SB with backup, Kurt Warner

Fish won 11 of their el perfecto games with backup QB Earl Morrall (who also played in SB VI replacing injured Johny Unitas for a while.  Also backup up Johny for a whole season and they went 13-1 and he was MVP)

Bills won a playoff game with a backup QB

Washington won SB with backup QB Doug Williams

Vikings would have made SB with backup Randal Cunningham if their kicker could make a FG

Raiders won SB with backup Jim Plunkett

Brett Favre did pretty well coming in as backup when the Magic Man got injured

Heck, we made the playoffs twice with backup QB Doug Flutie

These teams pulled the antithesis of going with Nasty Nate as your backup 2 years in a row ...

The Bills of all teams should  understand the importance of backup QB with us getting to one SB with miraculous help from backup QB Frank Reich and losing SB XXV to  backup QB Jeff Hostetler.

"The most important position on the team is QB.  The second most important is backup QB."  - HOF Joe Gibbs (Ask Gil about Joe Gibbs)

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agree. They have a chance to be much better if Edmunds takes a HUGE step forward in terms of recognition and Oliver is such a force that he makes the entire front four better. Not out of the question I suppose. I'd feel a lot better about the D had they landed Ansah. They should be very good. Dominant? We shall see. They weren't dominant last season.

D needs to vastly improve on points given up.  At 23.5, #15 in the league, that's nothing to write home to Mom about.  Of course, cutting down on the number of pick sixes our QB throws could help that too.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Patriots chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Tom Brady remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  KC's chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Mahomes remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Jets chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Darnold remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Packers chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Rogers remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Just sayin', it's the same for all teams. It's a QB league.

What team out there is not dependent on the injury bug not hitting them, especially in key positions like QB? But, I guess that is your point.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

D needs to vastly improve on points given up.  At 23.5, #15 in the league, that's nothing to write home to Mom about.  Of course, cutting down on the number of pick sixes our QB throws could help that too.

Holding opponents to field goals every once in a while would help. We had a serious problem in the RZ last season. It was awful. Everyone has a theory and mine is that they need to create more negative plays and turnovers. Some believe it's as simple as improving the run D, but I don't see it that way. There were far too many occasions where QB's were given all day down there. The way you solve that is by turning up the heat and creating negative down and distance situations. Oliver should help, but I'm not sure that's enough. Murphy could probably help some if he can stay on the field. Maybe this Darryl Johnson character can help. Either way, we've got to get in the QB's mug if we want to improve these numbers. 

As an aside, I like to think I'd have more important things to say to Mom if I were in some dire situation where a letter was the only option.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

Almost every team's chances are dependent on their QB. If almost any teams QB gets hurt that's all she wrote for the season. The Bills season rests mainly on Josh Allen both his health and development. 

22 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Is that a good thing? It's a good thing if their plan leads to success starting now. The excuses, valid or not, are gone. This is a crucial year for them. I think Pegula has full confidence in Beane and McDermott, but billionaires tend to want to see results. 

Every year is crucial. 

They'll get full term.

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

1.  We no longer have Rookie at MLB also Harrison is no longer a Rookie, If you have ever watched Oliver play then you realize he is a beast.

2. I think the Oline is a pretty important part of the run game, dont you.  You will also see the word hope.

3.  See Foles career my friend.  I think he seems to be pretty serviceable in this system just as Foles plays well under certain circumstances. 

1.  Edmunds has to improve significantly.   Moreover, lots of rookies who play decently fail to improve.  Dion Dawkins on the OL is a case in point.  The NFL is not college, and the general rule for DTs is that it will take them 2 or 3 seasons to not only master all the techniques but to learn their opponents and how best to beat/neutralize them -- while at the same time the OLers will be concentrating on learning how to best neutralize Oliver.  DT is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pros because a lot of these young studs who got by on their raw talent have to become students of the game in the pros.

2.  I have no doubt that the OL will be better than last season but that's because it doesn't seem possible that it could be any worse.  That doesn't mean that it will be good.  It's simply wishful thinking to believe that it could be good enough to consistently open holes for the running game without having a decent passing game to keep defenses honest.

3.  Nick Foles was never sitting at home in October hoping some team would call him.  He contemplated retiring after being cut by the Rams in 2016 but re-signed with the Chiefs about a week later.  He also has started 36 games prior to re-signing with Philly in 2017, and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2013 when he threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs in Chip Kelly's fast paced offense.   Foles played in 3 regular season games in 2017 and 5 in 2018, although they were split between the beginning and end of the season in 2018 IIRC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Every year is crucial. 

They'll get full term.

So, if neither Allen nor Edmunds improves significantly and the team has another 6 win season, you're okay with that?   Really?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

So, if neither Allen nor Edmunds improves significantly and the team has another 6 win season, you're okay with that?   Really?  

Only way this team wins just 6 games would be because of injury...otherwise, if they can remain relatively healthy they will win more games imo.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Only way this team wins just 6 games would be because of injury...otherwise, if they can remain relatively healthy they will win more games imo.

Famous last words, Nostradamus.  Think about all the teams that looked like shoo-ins for the playoffs in the preseason -- like Pitt and Jax in 2018 -- that come a cropper for all kinds of reasons other than injury once they started to play the games for real.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Famous last words, Nostradamus.  Think about all the teams that looked like shoo-ins for the playoffs in the preseason -- like Pitt and Jax in 2018 -- that come a cropper for all kinds of reasons other than injury once they started to play the games for real.

Happens every year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, JerseyBills said:

I think this is a 10 win team.  I really do.  Out of 11 offensive position , I feel like we upgraded all 11. Cause returning starters will all benefit from the upgrades around them. Just can't envision this offense not improved, by how much depends on Allen of course.

Then you got an elite defense with 10/11 returning starters and a potential elite addition at DT. We added solid depth in the secondary and have a legit 9 man DL rotation and a vastly improved Edmunds, they could definitely be the # 1 defense.

And added two ST demons. Roberts and Periose (butchered his name) from Mia.

Yeah 10 wins. 

I always hate predicting 10 wins with the Bills as long as Brady is around.

Because the Pats have had our number for going on 2 decades now, you may as well predict the Bills as going 10-4.

We're almost certainly going to lose 2 games to the Pats every year, so that means you're predicting we're going 10-4 against the rest of the field. I find that really hard to believe that we'll be able to do that, but I hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Or as the poster above said, Allen doesn't improve. 

Edumnds needs to improve as well, but if Allen doesn't improve over last year's performance, 6 wins or less is very likely.

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Edumnds needs to improve as well, but if Allen doesn't improve over last year's performance, 6 wins or less is very likely.

If Allen “only” plays exactly like he did in the final six games last year, behind an improved OL and with improved receivers, 8 wins is the floor. 

39 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Because the Pats have had our number for going on 2 decades now, you may as well predict the Bills as going 10-4.

We're almost certainly going to lose 2 games to the Pats every year, so that means you're predicting we're going 10-4 against the rest of the field. I find that really hard to believe that we'll be able to do that, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think we can beat NE at home

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

First off I never said anything about playoffs- simply, more wins than the previous season- when the team had less talent...Second, history has shown time and again that if you can avoid the injury bug in the NFL, odds are you will have a more successful season...obviously there are outliers, as there are in any situation in life- but those are few and far in between...third, thanks for the compliment. ?

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I actually think that even if Allen doesn’t improve I still think we win more games....the team has more talent all around imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

8 hours ago, eball said:

If Allen “only” plays exactly like he did in the final six games last year, behind an improved OL and with improved receivers, 8 wins is the floor. 

At some point.......after decades of following the NFL......... you should be able to learn that the kind of rationale in your post is just your offseason brain forgetting how the NFL really plays out.    

I mean, for instance.........do you think that teams will continue to allow Allen to run for 100 yards per game or will they look at what Detroit and the Pats did to shut him down and employ those defensive tactics?    Adjustments will be made........he won't be able to play exactly like he did in the final six games..........Allen will have to be a lot better at QB'ing than RB'ing this year.    

And that's just one of MANY variables.

At this point there really is no floor............Allen could improve and the team could lose 8 games by a FG or less and wind up 4-12.    Remember Drew Brees went 7-9 for three straight years recently.   Check out Philip Rivers record under Mike McCoy before Anthony Lynn came in and turned that organization around.     Even HOF QB's can be undermined by circumstance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, Limeaid said:

The Bills are far from the only team that needs their QB to stay healthy.  Matt Barkley did well enough in the game he played last season, I think the Bills could withstand losing Allen for a game or two.  A lot would depend on who the opponent is.