High praise from Gil Brandt for the Bills’ offseason moves

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Miami, same record with Rosen or Fitzpatrick.  It really doesn't matter which one is the starter & which one is the backup.  

I want to face Rosen !!!! 

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’m always happy to read accolades for the Bills’ moves,  but I am truly tired of the rhetoric. Let’s just get to DECEMBER and let our play do the talking. Winning makes everything else secondary in nature.

Had to change this............

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Tell me which teams can rise above losing their starting QB?

I will answer for you..................

Not ONE team can afford to lose their starting QB and have a successful season.

Your pointed is noted and I agree.

But, tell that to the Greatest Show on Turf or the Eagles two years ago.

I agree it is rare, but, not impossible. 

I think this is a 10 win team.  I really do.  Out of 11 offensive position , I feel like we upgraded all 11. Cause returning starters will all benefit from the upgrades around them. Just can't envision this offense not improved, by how much depends on Allen of course.

Then you got an elite defense with 10/11 returning starters and a potential elite addition at DT. We added solid depth in the secondary and have a legit 9 man DL rotation and a vastly improved Edmunds, they could definitely be the # 1 defense.

And added two ST demons. Roberts and Periose (butchered his name) from Mia.

Yeah 10 wins. 

Very optimistic, but as many have pointed out, it falls on Allen. If you look at the list of recent Super Bowl champions, outside of Young and Wilson, almost none of them were mobile.At nearly a 100% clip Super Bowl winning QB's won in the pocket.  Even in the case of Young and Wilson, Young was still great in the pocket, Wilson was improving and had the best defense of his era backing him up. You could go back to 2001 or 2003 Baltimore Ravens or Tampa Bay Buccaneers teams, but again, two teams that had legendary defenses. Also a time in which it seemed like a truly epic defense could get you there. It's just not like that anymore. All recent Super Bowl winning QB's have won from the pocket. That's all I care about seeing from Josh this season. The last pocket QB we had that could get the ball downfield was Bledsoe and even in his frequent horror show the 2004 Bills losing to Pittsburgh's back ups in the last game of the season to miss the playoffs remains the best Bills team since the drought began.     

Edited by KzooMike

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

What a revelation 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

There are 30 team that could say the same thing. Injuries are part of the game.

Thats the case with most teams.  If the starter goes down they dont make the playoffs.  However, I think with what our D will be and what Im hoping our run game will be Barkley could get the team in.

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Pats in 2001, Ravens in 2018, Eagles in 2017 and 2018

Yes Allen is important, but Barkley looked capable in his one start last season. Not having Peterman by itself shd be good for a couple of wins.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a key point that we haven't discussed enough.  His excellence, particularly running, lead to defensive players getting frustrated and wanting to take cheap shots.  Here's Kiko Alonso (5:14) way frustrated trying to line him.  If were a bit better at it he would have knocked Allen straight into the following week and he likely would have exited the game with a concussion.  Its one thing for a QB to frustrate you with outstanding passing, but as in this game, when that's combined with owning the D with his legs, cheap shots will get out of control

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I would say playoff changes are more dependent on him growing as an NFL QB/passer and part of that is not lowering his shoulder and taking guys on to get first downs.  He needs to use his head and arm to move the chains not his body.   If he does that then the chances he stays healthy are good.  If he trys to do too much with his legs he will likely get injured.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

10  backup quarterbacks who won the Super Bowl say hi 

https://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/2018/01/could_nick_foles_be_next_7_qbs.html

a backup QB  "should" be one of the Top ten most important positions on the team.

never understand why most teams ignore the need

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Patriots chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Tom Brady remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  KC's chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Mahomes remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Jets chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Darnold remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Packers chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Rogers remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Just sayin', it's the same for all teams. It's a QB league.

And that's why every one of these guys will barely play in the preseason.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The Bills chances for a positive season are dependent upon Allen growing significantly as an NFL QB.  If he does that, the Bills should be able to get 8 or 9 wins but if he doesn't improve his passing game as well as demonstrate some mastery of the mental part of the game, which includes learning to run judiciously so that he is less likely to be injured, then not only will the season be a disappointment but the likelihood of him developing into a good/great NFL QB are seriously in doubt.  First round QBs who don't make significant improvement as 2nd year starters seldom go on to become successful starting QBs.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This is exactly the reason why I qualified the answer.  Some are so wishing for Bills to fail so anything, even injury to starting QB, will make it a disappointment and anything else is an excuse and reason for starting the flush, restart process again.

That's nonsense.  Just because fans want to see results on the field before anointing McDermott and Beane the second coming of Levy and Polian doesn't mean that they wish the Bills to fail.   Numerous NFL teams bring in new regimes and start winning with regularity within 2 years  -- sometimes winning big like Philadelphia -- so it's not unreasonable to expect the Bills to start showing real improvement by their 3rd season into a new regime.   What's unreasonable is continuing to make excuses for a regime that shows little improvement.

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thats the case with most teams.  If the starter goes down they dont make the playoffs.  However, I think with what our D will be and what Im hoping our run game will be Barkley could get the team in.

Whistling past the cemetery again, eh?

• The Bills D was not dominant last season, and it's not going to be all dominant this season.   The Bills need to significantly improve their run defense and their pass rush.
  • The Bills anemic running game from 2018 isn't suddenly going to transform into the 2005 Bears simply by improving the worse OL in the NFL last season and adding a 36 year old veteran RB and a rookie, especially if Allen is hurt and can't pad their run stats with his own runs.  
  • If Matt Barkley was good enough to be more than a stop-gap backup QB, he wouldn't have been sitting at home in October.
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills chances for a positive season are dependent upon Allen growing significantly as an NFL QB.  If he does that, the Bills should be able to get 8 or 9 wins but if he doesn't improve his passing game as well as demonstrate some mastery of the mental part of the game, which includes learning to run judiciously so that he is less likely to be injured, then not only will the season be a disappointment but the likelihood of him developing into a good/great NFL QB are seriously in doubt.  First round QBs who don't make significant improvement as 2nd year starters seldom go on to become successful starting QBs.

That's nonsense.  Just because fans want to see results on the field before anointing McDermott and Beane the second coming of Levy and Polian doesn't mean that they wish the Bills to fail.   Numerous NFL teams bring in new regimes and start winning with regularity within 2 years  -- sometimes winning big like Philadelphia -- so it's not unreasonable to expect the Bills to start showing real improvement by their 3rd season into a new regime.   What's unreasonable is continuing to make excuses for a regime that shows little improvement.

Whistling past the cemetery again, eh?

• The Bills D was not dominant last season, and it's not going to be all dominant this season.   The Bills need to significantly improve their run defense and their pass rush.
  • The Bills anemic running game from 2018 isn't suddenly going to transform into the 2005 Bears simply by improving the worse OL in the NFL last season and adding a 36 year old veteran RB and a rookie, especially if Allen is hurt and can't pad their run stats with his own runs.  
  • If Matt Barkley was good enough to be more than a stop-gap backup QB, he wouldn't have been sitting at home in October.

1.  We no longer have Rookie at MLB also Harrison is no longer a Rookie, If you have ever watched Oliver play then you realize he is a beast.

2. I think the Oline is a pretty important part of the run game, dont you.  You will also see the word hope.

3.  See Foles career my friend.  I think he seems to be pretty serviceable in this system just as Foles plays well under certain circumstances. 

10 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Very optimistic, but as many have pointed out, it falls on Allen. If you look at the list of recent Super Bowl champions, outside of Young and Wilson, almost none of them were mobile.At nearly a 100% clip Super Bowl winning QB's won in the pocket.  Even in the case of Young and Wilson, Young was still great in the pocket, Wilson was improving and had the best defense of his era backing him up. You could go back to 2001 or 2003 Baltimore Ravens or Tampa Bay Buccaneers teams, but again, two teams that had legendary defenses. Also a time in which it seemed like a truly epic defense could get you there. It's just not like that anymore. All recent Super Bowl winning QB's have won from the pocket. That's all I care about seeing from Josh this season. The last pocket QB we had that could get the ball downfield was Bledsoe and even in his frequent horror show the 2004 Bills losing to Pittsburgh's back ups in the last game of the season to miss the playoffs remains the best Bills team since the drought began.     

Rodgers Roethlisberger and even Foles was running RPO are all mobile.  Is it just skewed by Brady and the Manning Brothers winning so many?  I agree you need to be good in the pocket but a lot of mobile QBs win (or get to) the Bowl.  I'm not really considering Dilfer or Johnson as mobile.

I would argue the 2015 Broncos Defense carried Manning versus him "winning" from the pocket.  There are many ways to win or get to the Super Bowl; however, I would agree that having a great pocket passer is the most common method.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

• The Bills D was not dominant last season, and it's not going to be all dominant this season. 

Agree. They have a chance to be much better if Edmunds takes a HUGE step forward in terms of recognition and Oliver is such a force that he makes the entire front four better. Not out of the question I suppose. I'd feel a lot better about the D had they landed Ansah. They should be very good. Dominant? We shall see. They weren't dominant last season.