High praise from Gil Brandt for the Bills’ offseason moves

#3 on his list of best offseason teams:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030895/article/best-nfl-offseasons-of-2019-browns-raiders-head-list?asdfd

The 2018 Bills carried more than $50 million in dead money in anticipation of retooling the roster this offseason, and the team followed through on its plans. Signees Mitch MorseSpencer Long and Ty Nsekhe and rookie Cody Ford (drafted No. 38 overall) will upgrade the offensive line, while veterans Cole BeasleyJohn Brown and Andre Roberts will do the same for the pass-catching corps. The ageless Frank Gore and rookie Devin Singletary (No. 74), meanwhile, were brought in to help bolster the LeSean McCoy-led ground attack. Those additions were all designed to give quarterback Josh Allen a better chance of growing in his second NFL season.

On defense, the first-round selection of Ed Oliver (No. 9) should help make up for the retirement of six-time Pro Bowler Kyle Williams. Yes, the Bills just recorded their 11th losing season in the last 15, but this team was surprisingly feisty at times in '18, upsetting the Vikings in Week 3 and finishing with the second-stingiest defense in terms of yards allowed. All of Buffalo's moves, combined with rebuilding projects going on with the Dolphins and Jets, mean anything less than a playoff appearance will count as a disappointment.

Playoffs? Would be nice!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Josh Allen remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  I will be disappointed but it will not be "a disappointment". 

I think a lot of fans will be disappointed but regardless you know Beane and McDermott will get their full 5 years

Patriots chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Tom Brady remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good.  KC's chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Mahomes remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Jets chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Darnold remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Packers chances of a playoff are too dependent upon Rogers remaining healthy.  If he is injured early in season or even worse takes a cheap shot in preseason our chances are not too good. Just sayin', it's the same for all teams. It's a QB league.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I actually feel comfortable with the backup.  I think he has a Frank Reich feel to him where he can step in and make things happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Tell me which teams can rise above losing their starting QB?

I will answer for you..................

Not ONE team can afford to lose their starting QB and have a successful season.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Miami, same record with Rosen or Fitzpatrick.  It really doesn't matter which one is the starter & which one is the backup.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Literally every team in the NFL can say this about their starting quarterback.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well, the Philadelphia Eagles won a Super Bowl led by backup Nick Foles so it IS possible. Just very, very rare. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Injury... No just him improving or not. Injury is the last thing to think about.

32 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Why in the world would your head jump to “if he takes a cheap shot in the preseason”

27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Nick Foles ......blahblahblahblahblah

28 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think a lot of fans will be disappointed but regardless you know Beane and McDermott will get their full 5 years

Is that a good thing? It's a good thing if their plan leads to success starting now. The excuses, valid or not, are gone. This is a crucial year for them. I think Pegula has full confidence in Beane and McDermott, but billionaires tend to want to see results. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Is that a good thing? It's a good thing if their plan leads to success starting now. The excuses, valid or not, are gone. This is a crucial year for them. I think Pegula has full confidence in Beane and McDermott, but billionaires tend to want to see results. 

This is exactly the reason why I qualified the answer.  Some are so wishing for Bills to fail so anything, even injury to starting QB, will make it a disappointment and anything else is an excuse and reason for starting the flush, restart process again.

This is exactly the reason why I qualified the answer.  Some are so wishing for Bills to fail so anything, even injury to starting QB, will make it a disappointment and anything else is an excuse and reason for starting the flush, restart process again.

Holding the FO/coaching staff accountable is not remotely synonymous with "wishing for the Bills to fail." 

I'd rather not even get into a scenario where Allen goes down for the season, but yes, that would give them another mulligan. Just seems like an odd place to venture.

• Like (+1) 2