Did anyone ever cheat in school?

6 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Similar thing happened to me in Geology 101 at Oswego. The girl that sat next to me copied all my answers on a test. I knew but didn't care because we were friendly. We got our tests back and we both got 93's. The idiot didnt change any of her answers.

The professor called us on it. The girl immediately went into hysterics. Turned to me and asked why I would do it. Total meltdown about how she studied so hard and I ruined it by selfishly cheating off her. She's bawling her ass off so he told her to that he'd talk to me and that she could go. After she was gone, he told me to cover my answers better next time. 

The girl never came back to the class.

LOL.  I'm guessing the professor knew she was full of it.

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Cool ending to the story.

pic?

Way before the days of cell phones.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In college the frat I was in kept a filing cabinet where each member was to deposit a copy of the exams that they took, so that subsequent members could study off of them--the system worked for those profs who were too lazy to change their finals around all that much year over year, so that you would have a better idea of which material was more likely to be tested on, form of the questions, etc. So I don't know that you would call that cheating so much as effective recon taking advantage of those professors who never bothered to change things up. Maybe "gaming the system" would be more appropriate? That's the closest I can come up with anyway to the OP's point.  

4 hours ago, teef said:

someone should start the "have you ever cheated on your spouse" thread.  that could be a whole lot more interesting.

I was "this close," (to starting the thread).  But now I won't because no one will believe it was my idea.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, KD in CA said:

Two good cheating stories from school:

In 8th grade someone stole the science test and like a bunch of dumb 8th graders, every boy in the class got 100%.  Teacher didn't say a word.  Next day we show up and teacher announces a retest that day.  All the same questions from the first test except he switched around some words and order of answers so "C A B C C D B" didn't work anymore.  At least half of us failed.  Think I got a 38%.

In college, I took a very hard stats class.  Rumors swirled that some guy in another frat was going to get the final exam ahead of time.  Learning from earlier mistakes, I instead studied my ass off, probably moreso than for any test in my life.   About ten o'clock the night before the exam, a guy in my frat comes in to my room all depressed and tells me he's been trying to study but literally can not figure out a single question in the practice materials and there was no way he was going to get anything but a 0% and fail the class (very nice guy but not the sharpest academic knife in the drawer).    I told him don't worry about it and just sit one seat behind and one over from me the next day -- exam was in an auditorium.   I crushed the exam;  he copied every answer from me and raised his grade from an F to a B based on the final.

I took an intro to stats course while at Cornell.  The Instructor had a reputation as being super tough.  She said she would tear up the test of anybody caught cheating and probably a couple dozen got caught out of approximately 150 students in the hall judging by the early walkouts.  This happened in the days before cellphones and other electronic devices.  No doubt some cheated that did not get caught so I don't know if they used devices of the day or what they did.  A student was allowed to bring in sheets with formulas written down and such but the instructor said that would be of minimal use if a student did not know how to apply them.  That day was easily the most tense of my college career.  I got a C for the course and was happy to be done with it.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:01 AM, Doc Brown said:

I've cheated like most but the best story is when somebody cheated off me.

It was a meterology 101 course my freshman year I took as a general elective at SUNY Oswego.  It was a scantron multiple choice test.  Some girl sitting behind me as she had a clear view since she sat above me in a lecture hall format.  She filled in all the bubbles I did corresponding to the test question number.  It turns out there were two alternative tests and we each had a different version.  She got a 30 something and I got a 92.  The professor actually wasn't lazy and realized she cheated off me and called us both to see him.  She admitted to it and said I had no idea.  He was forgiving and didn't punish her in any way.  That's how I met my future wife.  I always make the joke not to cheat on me again.

I took a 100 level meteorology course while at Cornell and found the material very easy to learn.  Thankfully, the course was available to fill my physical sciences requirement and was told by multiple people to sign up for it early instead on getting stuck in "University Physics."  An early example as to recognizing grade inflation or deflation depending on the point of view.

Only 1 time in HS and ironically only class I ever failed from K- BS

...French 2 as a sophomore.  I think I only passed French 1 was because I told told the sister I was thinking of joining the french club LOL. I didn't of course so I went into the final knowing it was pass or fail. I had notes jammed up my tie and written on my shoes. Amazingly still came up 6 pts short with a 59 (pry would have been 29) and failed. Needless to say that was the end of my foreign language classes. Still proud of my effort !!

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Only 1 time in HS and ironically only class I ever failed from K- BS

...French 2 as a sophomore.  I think I only passed French 1 was because I told told the sister I was thinking of joining the french club LOL. I didn't of course so I went into the final knowing it was pass or fail. I had notes jammed up my tie and written on my shoes. Amazingly still came up 6 pts short with a 59 (pry would have been 29) and failed. Needless to say that was the end of my foreign language classes. Still proud of my effort !!

Parlez vous francais

• Haha (+1) 1

Here is a story from the other side. 

I was subbing for a 9th grade math class and the assignment for the day was to administer a test.     I was walking around the class for a bit when I thought something was going on in one of the two first seats of a row.   I wasn't sure what but I thought I would stand in front of that row for the rest of the test.  The guy in the second seat sure looked nervous when I did this, so I stayed there for the last half the test.  I collected the tests and that was it.

The next day I was subbing again in the same class.    I looked to see what the names of the two kids in the front row were.   It seems somewhere during the first half of the test, the two had switched papers.  The guy in the second seat was the guy who knew the material but unfortunately for him, the guy in the front seat who now had his test, did not.  I always wondered what their grades were like for that test.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Is it cheating if you are just looking for a little verification?  

There’s usually always one student in my experience that spends half the time at the teachers desk asking questions.  That is if the teacher isn’t the type to shut it down.  

Im thinking it’s not clarification on reading questions their asking for ?

One smart kid back in high school figured if he skipped the test, with a note from his parents, he'd find out what was on the test and then rewrite the same one later.

he hooked in a few of my best friends to this nonsense and they crashed and burned when snitches did their thing and the teachers handed over a different test

ruined all of them, shame that they did have the brains to have done something with their lives with a little application.

I didn’t do this but when I was in the Navy we were in ITS C School (a class room learning format) and the group that was one class ahead of mine got one of the tests to the final exam we had to take. 

The exam got passed around the class and one person got it 20 minutes or so before the exam and didn’t have time to memorize the answers so he just wrote them down and tried to hide it in class. Well he got caught. 

They did an investigation where the confiscated cell phones and found out that over half the class cheated. 

After the investigation all the cheaters went went to Captains Mass and were kicked out of the Navy. They got luck and were only given a general discharge since the COs were changing over and anything worse they would be able to appeal. At that point they were all in the Navy training for a year in a half

Oddly the one that got caught first 3 months later got a civilian job in the Navy on that base doing IT work for more money with what he was taught and the security clearance he had for the school. 

almost all of a third year commerce course on marketing research was failed for cheating on the large group assignment

i was in 2nd year and saw the outcome go down

i made sure i sat in the front row of the first class the next year and teamed up with the geekiest girls in the class, they did a great job and we got A+ 

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

One smart kid back in high school figured if he skipped the test, with a note from his parents, he'd find out what was on the test and then rewrite the same one later.

he hooked in a few of my best friends to this nonsense and they crashed and burned when snitches did their thing and the teachers handed over a different test

ruined all of them, shame that they did have the brains to have done something with their lives with a little application.

Reminds me of the old joke about the four friends that claimed they had a flat tire and missed the test, so the teacher agreed to let them take it later. After seating them in different parts of the classroom, they start the test. First question - Which tire was flat? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Reminds me of the old joke about the four friends that claimed they had a flat tire and missed the test, so the teacher agreed to let them take it later. After seating them in different parts of the classroom, they start the test. First question - Which tire was flat? 

I am not sure we called AAA.