Did anyone ever cheat in school?

I was in a computer class which most of your grade was turned in work (printouts) with assignments every class.  It was considered a "tough" class with hard curve and getting 50% was an A.  There was heavy cheating involved mostly stealing printouts from computer room and people submitting work not their own.  When your printout did not show up your only recourse was to redo the assignment differently for if two people turned in same work professor would just give each person 50% of grade; some would be happy with this considering amount of time needed to complete assignments.  I got tired of this and I knew one of the thieves worked in computer room.  In my next assignment I turned in to assignments, one to count for grade and one which had many bugs with fake results.  When he asked why two I circled the first letter of comments which stated this is stolen work with my name. 

The next class the professor had a copy of the first page of the assignment on projector.  He called student to explain code and logic in assignment including many statements which would be syntax errors; he couldn't.  He said "I can" and then circled on the projector what I showed him.  He was told he had to either drop with failing grade or he would go to dean and have him thrown out.  He told students that any further stealing of work would be similarly punished and for future assignments each student was given a data deck which needed to be run against their assignments.

He later offered me a job as his intern.

When I TAed in college I was straightening  out the room after class and notice someone had scribbled notes on the black top lab bench  with a pencil. After that I made sure I wiped off the benches before class and had them sit in different seats for quizzes.  In the big classes they would have a bunch of TAs  proctoring  and if the spotted someone cheating, they'd say " You. Out . Cheating  "  and kick them right out of the exam.

Edited by Wacka

Tenth grade. Our English teacher's baby arrived a week before finals and the sub was as dumb as they come. After class, I distracted her with a couple of questions from my textbook while an accomplice stole the master Scantron from her desk, along with blank Scantrons. We copied the answers that night (getting a few "wrong," of course), and the next day I distracted her again so he could return the master key. All we had to do on test day was swap Scantrons, which we did when Moronica went out for a smoke.

In high school, I was in an unbearable second year Spanish class. I knew the TA, who handed me the mid-term test. All I had to do was fill it out and swap the test at some point during the class. Easy enough. During the test, the teacher started to walk out of the classroom...perfect opportunity to do the swap. As he stepped out, he immediately stepped back in. Apparently my movement caught his eye as he reentered the class. He walked up to me and asked what was going on. Next few moments are a bit of a blur in my memory (we're talking 35 years ago), but I refused to hand him the test paper, balled it up and tossed it out the open window next to me. He directed me to the principals office. I took a detour and grabbed the test outside then bailed. I returned after lunch to bump into the truant officer on campus. He told me he was looking for me. I think I received an one day suspension. Oh well. 

In college, I did cheat a couple times. I used to write notes all over my Pee-Chee (sports) portfolio and sit it by my feet. When needed, I'd glance down and find the answer. Only a couple times though during finals. 

Father...I have sinned. 

For one tough exam I ignored the calls for time remaining and 10 minutes after the last call I approached the proctor with my answer booklet 

he said it was way too late now and that I was getting a zero

i asked him “don’t you know who I am?”

and when he sneered “no” i crammed my booklet into the middle of the big pile of booklets and strolled out like a boss

im sure somebody really did this once...

• Haha (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

So umm based on most of these responses is that just a little hypocritical then to make fun of the Patriots for doing it? 

When you get caught in school you get kicked out. I’m all for that! I think 31 teams is plenty, just a few more bye’s to work in!   ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

When you get caught in school you get kicked out. I’m all for that! I think 31 teams is plenty, just a few more bye’s to work in!   ?

Nah, a friend’s first year law class had 15 caught cheating and since 3 were of a protected racial group, all got off with no punishment 

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

I grew up in Boston, of course I cheated. 

But the kid who Uncle Teddy cheated off of was stupider than him

I had a couple friends who regularly cheated off me in Physics Chemistry and Math in high school. One is a lawyer, the other is an architect.

In college some older friends convinced me to take EdPsych 420:Child and Adolescent Development because you didn't have to go to class and the teacher had given the same final for years. When he passed out the final exam it was completely different than the one we had and we didn't know anything. I stuck my finger down my throat and threw up on the classroom floor. I was excused and got to take a makeup exam the following week after reading the book. My friends failed and I got a B.☺

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s not cheating, per se, but who didn’t look for the used text books with wisdom from years gone by scribbled in the margins? I had one professor try to get me to change majors based upon my immense wisdom demonstrated day after day. Well, I HAD learned how to read, and the notes did seem to make sense, so.....

My best friend and I fought over a book, and I ended up with the used one. Flipping through it, I found that it had notes in the margins that improved a lot of the recipes. I had an easy time that semester; all of my potions turned out perfect. Later I found out the book had belonged to the teacher.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've cheated like most but the best story is when somebody cheated off me.

It was a meterology 101 course my freshman year I took as a general elective at SUNY Oswego.  It was a scantron multiple choice test.  Some girl sitting behind me as she had a clear view since she sat above me in a lecture hall format.  She filled in all the bubbles I did corresponding to the test question number.  It turns out there were two alternative tests and we each had a different version.  She got a 30 something and I got a 92.  The professor actually wasn't lazy and realized she cheated off me and called us both to see him.  She admitted to it and said I had no idea.  He was forgiving and didn't punish her in any way.  That's how I met my future wife.  I always make the joke not to cheat on me again.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In my junior year in high school, two of my friends got their hands on the entire year's worth of Biology test answer keys.

They circulated them, during the test weeks, to a very small circle of people.  I took advantage only once and I was never actually given a copy of the key.  At lunch, the same day as one of the tests, I was sitting with someone who had a key.  They would basically make up "stories," with the correct answers (A, B, C or D).

So if the first 7 answers were: A B C D B A B, the story might be "A boy can definitely buy a baseball."  I took in as much as I could and tried to remember before the test.  Didn't really help much, I'm sure, since I ended up passing Bio with a 65.

A couple of the idiots called attention to themselves by either acing or coming close to acing multiple tests.  Kind of like when a baseball player who averages 20 HR/year for five years, then hits 55 by August .... everyone knows something is up.  There began to be whispers about people cheating.  This was barely midway through the year.

Turns out, the teacher/school ended up finding out because one of the students, Mark, ratted himself and the other kid out.  Mark was "influenced" to tell the school after the local priest, Gary Mercure (currently rotting in prison after being found guilty of raping multiple boys) told Mark's parents.  Mark must have confessed to "Father Gary," who then ratted him out.

This priest spent A LOT of time at Mark's family's house (he had a brother around the same age).  I often wonder if Mark was a victim who tried to "get out," and this was "Father Gary's" way of telling Mark, "this is an example of what can happen if you cross me."

Anyway, I don't think any of the beneficiaries were implicated.  I know I wasn't.  Only time I ever cheated in school.

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I was secretly dating my English teacher.  Got straight As in that class because I studied hard and wrote great essays.  I used to cheat on her rampantly with the gym teacher though.  Looking back that was unethical.  Is that what you mean?  

Have you been featured in a Hot for Teacher thread without us knowing the salacious details?  You scoundrel, you make us sick!

• Haha (+1) 1

Senior year down here in Cincy, a few kids and I got “Superior” grades in Social Studies, meaning we didn’t have to take the final exam. As the teacher read those names, the last one was my friend and the entire class looked at him like “no effing way.” He was like “hell yeah.”

He admitted later on to me that he could see all my answers on my work all year.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was a meterology 101 course my freshman year I took as a general elective at SUNY Oswego.  It was a scantron multiple choice test.  Some girl sitting behind me as she had a clear view since she sat above me in a lecture hall format.  She filled in all the bubbles I did corresponding to the test question number.  It turns out there were two alternative tests and we each had a different version.  She got a 30 something and I got a 92.  The professor actually wasn't lazy and realized she cheated off me and called us both to see him.  She admitted to it and said I had no idea.  He was forgiving and didn't punish her in any way.  That's how I met my future wife.  I always make the joke not to cheat on me again.

Similar thing happened to me in Geology 101 at Oswego. The girl that sat next to me copied all my answers on a test. I knew but didn't care because we were friendly. We got our tests back and we both got 93's. The idiot didnt change any of her answers.

The professor called us on it. The girl immediately went into hysterics. Turned to me and asked why I would do it. Total meltdown about how she studied so hard and I ruined it by selfishly cheating off her. She's bawling her ass off so he told her to that he'd talk to me and that she could go. After she was gone, he told me to cover my answers better next time. 

The girl never came back to the class.

• Haha (+1) 2

There was a stats course at UB  in the mid 70s where the students went to the administrators and complained  that  the prof made it too simple.  It was required as a prerequisite for many science and engineering majors and when they got into the major, they realized they weren't taught squat. A friend "took" it and told me he didn't attend more than a handful of classes and got a 95 on the final.

Edited by Wacka

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Cool ending to the story.

pic?