Jets considering NFLN’s Daniel Jeremiah for “prominent FO role”

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unlike mayock (from what I recall) DJ has actual NFL FO experience. I do suspect he’s being courted to replace Heimerdinger and not Mac. I think the guy from the Eagles will be the GM

It’s really more about Jeremiah than it is the Gase power struggle victory  

True, true. Carry on. I'll see my way out.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Jeremiah would be an excellent GM.

He's been in the front office before, serving alongside Ozzie Newsome, and he's as good as they get when it comes to player evaluation.

He's also a world-class good-guy.

I'd be surprised if he went for it though; he's passed on previous opportunities to focus his attention on family and faith.

I didn't realise Jeremiah was a faith guy. I have never quite got the passing up jobs to focus on God... but then I suppose I wouldn't. 

He is a top evaluator though DJ. And he and Mayock make more sense than John Lynch ever did in San Fran. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Glad this will happen (if it will) 20 days late. Otherwise, we would not have landed Ed Oliver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026563/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-drew-lock-to-packers

Edit: UMM maybe not - this was his updated mock

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027778/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-40-redskins-land-haskins

this one reverses the DT order - has Quinnen W. over Ed Oliver

Crazy he had Cody Ford going 14th. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He's been in the front office before, serving alongside Ozzie Newsome, and he's as good as they get when it comes to player evaluation.

I'd be surprised if he went for it though; he's passed on previous opportunities to focus his attention on family and faith.

If he were interested, he could do worse.  The Jets have a pretty good roster.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't see him taking it either. Too dysfunctional, too iffy of a situation. Gase won't last 3 years in NY. They are going to waste the next couple of years with Darnold at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they hire him just so NFL Network can get a new "draft" guru.  I loved Mayock.  Thought he was smart, and wasn't afraid to speak the truth.  Jeremiah was way too vanilla and boring for my taste.  I thought the NFL Networks coverage of the drfat took a huge hit with Mayock's departure.  I know Jeremiah was getting a lot of love during the broadcast for the job he did, but generally if a network needs to remind the viewer how good the guy is you're watching it leads me to believe they know he isn't.

Edited by Estro

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I love you, dude, but did this need it's own thread? You already own the original.

Yes this does need its own thread... it’s a separate topic 

5 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Mayock has opened the flood gates.  Is Kiper next?  ?

Erik Turner from Cover 1... now working under Doug Whaley in the XFL

10 minutes ago, Estro said:

I hope they hire him just so NFL Network can get a new "draft" guru.  I loved Mayock.  Thought he was smart, and wasn't afraid to speak the truth.  Jeremiah was way too vanilla and boring for my taste.  I thought the NFL Networks coverage of the drfat took a huge hit with Mayock's departure.  I know Jeremiah was getting a lot of love during the broadcast for the job he did, but generally if a network needs to remind the viewer how good the guy is you're watching it leads me to believe they know he isn't.

I thought DJ was excellent all weekend. Obviously they miss Mayock but I thought NFLN nailed the draft. Thought day especially with Klatt on there too was very good indeed. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't realise Jeremiah was a faith guy. I have never quite got the passing up jobs to focus on God... but then I suppose I wouldn't. 

He is a top evaluator though DJ. And he and Mayock make more sense than John Lynch ever did in San Fran. 

Its probably more about his family.  An NFL job would be super demanding and he’d have to travel every week.  His job with NFL probably allows him to work from home for most of the week

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Since when does being a great draft analyst on TV equate to having the skills necessary to run a football team? 

I'll just say I'm glad we have Brandon Beane, I like Mayock and Jeremiah both AS ANALYSTS, I DON'T necessarily have faith in either of them to be able to run a multi-million dollar organization.

This whole "He's good on TV, he MUST be a great GM candidate!" thing is mind boggling to me. 

You need to win the press conferences! Did you learn nothing from Rex? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is a money play by Daniel Jeremiah and his agent to squeeze NFL Network for more money, and they're not really doing a great job at hiding it.

You actually had Adam Schefter on the Rich Eisen show today outright saying "the NFL Network needs to give Jeremiah a big raise or he will be working for the Jets." 

Talk about shilling.  I actually find it kind of dirty by Jeremiah and if I were the NFL Network I'd call his bluff.  I was not overly impressed with him as their main draft guru guy.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t know about his faith per se, but his dad is a very famous Pastor, Dr. David Jeremiah. (A little older and out of the mainstream, but probably still on tv regularly.)

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, they get those jobs because they're knowledgeable football guys who usually have diverse backgrounds around the league. Being a GM really ranges all over the place from handling the cap to picking players, to hiring coaches. But it's like all other high level management, the GM is insulated by his group of experts. It's just his job to lead them. These guys' leadership qualities and decision making is something we don't see from the media side of things, but I imagine teams handle that in interviews. Not to mention, these guys are very well known in NFL circles. A GM needs to be good at management, have a good understanding of how the league works, and be good at making decisions... It seems like Jeremiah probably checks those boxes. 

What if this Raider job does not work out for Mayock? Does he return as a draft analyst? I would find it awkward...even though many would probably say I told you so.