Separation of Church & State Headed to SCOTUS

From the petition posted by TYT

Writing this statement that “[t]here is no god but Allah” and that “Muhammad is god’s messenger,” violated Ms. Wood’s Christian convictions. Pet. App. 5a. Ms. Wood sincerely believes that it is a sin to profess, by word or in writing, that there is any other god except the Christian God. Pet. App. 5a-7a, see also Pet. App. 4a-7a, 55a-58a.

Respondents also characterized the religion of Islam to students differently than they characterized the religion of Christianity. Pet. App. 63a-64a. Respondents taught Islamic principles as if they were true facts, while Christian principles were treated as mere beliefs.

Id. For example, Ms. Wood and her classmates were instructed that the “Qur’an is the word of Allah as revealed to Muhammad in the same way that Jews and Christians believe the Torah and Gospels were revealed to Moses and the New Testament writers.” Pet. App. 5a-7a, 63a-66a (emphasis added).

Respondents subjected Ms. Wood to this promotional instruction in Islam, and also refused to grant her an opt out or alternative assignment when Ms. Wood, holding fast to her Christian beliefs, refused to write that the Muslim god is the only god. Pet. App. 5a, 23a, 55a-62a.

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Respondents subjected Ms. Wood to this promotional instruction in Islam, and also refused to grant her an opt out or alternative assignment when Ms. Wood, holding fast to her Christian beliefs, refused to write that the Muslim god is the only god. Pet. App. 5a, 23a, 55a-62a.

Not just that, but the recitation of the shahada is the only requirement for conversion to Islam.  This is roughly equivalent to forcing students to be baptized into Christianity as a class project.  

I'm all for teaching the basics of world religion in history classes - learned it myself in 9th grade, found it among the most valuable of anything I learned in HS).  But forced conversion is a little over-the-top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1