Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

3 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Here's  the video from Gase's press conference today. What about this guy makes anyone think he's a good communicator or leader? Terrible body language: slouching, not looking at questioners, hat pulled down over his eyes. He'd better be an offensive genius to overcome this attitude, but I haven't seen that either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KoW_wzuH0

Considering the alternative that might of been a smart decision.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Here's  the video from Gase's press conference today. What about this guy makes anyone think he's a good communicator or leader? Terrible body language: slouching, not looking at questioners, hat pulled down over his eyes. He'd better be an offensive genius to overcome this attitude, but I haven't seen that either:

I agree. He inspires no confidence. If I were a Jets fan, I would be terrified to know this guy is in charge of pretty much everything right now. 

That comment about “Christopher Johnson isn’t looking for a traditional GM” would also make me nervous. I’d be worried that Gase may retain control of the 53 man roster (even though he said he wouldn’t). 

Ill be somewhat surprised if this guy isn’t a disaster. 

BTW, I think he keeps his hat low like that to hide his eyes after that whole “crazy eyes” introductory press conference. 

The NYC media is going to eat him alive.... lol. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

That comment about “Christopher Johnson isn’t looking for a traditional GM” would also make me nervous.

It might make you nervous, but it should make Johnson happy.  I think Johnson got the man he was looking for.

2 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Was he told he has to wear a hat now to cover his CREEPER stare?

Edited by Boca BIlls

I was not sure if this deserved a new thread or not so posted it here.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837130-stats-dont-lie-adam-gase-is-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets

An excellent analysis from BR concerning why Gase may well be the absolute wrong coach for the Jets and Darnold.  This is one of many reasons that I think the selection of Gase will cripple the Jets franchise for years to come. Lovin' it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I really hope they give Gase control of the 53. It’ll limit most of the better GM candidates from even getting permission to interview (iirc it’s not viewed as a true promotion if they don’t have control of the 53 man roster). 

I actually feel a bit a bit bad for Jets fans. But it’s also a fun story to follow. lol

...popcorn sales are up 61% in May so far...and it's getting even better.............

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports
By Steve DelVecchio  |  Last updated 5/24/19

The New York Jets are in the process of searching for a new general manager, but they may have trouble attracting qualified candidates given all that has gone on with the team’s front office this offseason.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson was told by an NFL source that executives are not interested in the Jets’ general manager job unless the team is willing to make a long-term commitment. The belief is that the current staff in place is not equipped to handle personnel decisions, but there’s concern over how much control the new GM is going to be given.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_candidates_have_concerns_about_taking_jets_gm_job/s1_127_29165588

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

A humorous history of the Jets GM/HC changes since Woody bought the team.

In 2001, the Jets did something pretty conventional.  On January 12, 2001, they hired a new GM in Terry Bradway, and six days later, Bradway hired a new head coach in Herm Edwards.  That’s pretty much the normal way a team operates: ownership (in this case, it was brand new owner Woody Johnson) picks a GM to build the organization, and then the GM picks a head coach to build the team.

Apparently, Johnson has since found the old fashioned way to be pretty boring.

In January 2006, the Jets traded Edwards to the Chiefs with Bradway’s tenure on the rocks. On January 18, 2006, the Jets hired a new head coach in Eric Mangini.  But then, a few weeks later, on February 7, 2006 Bradway was fired and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum was promoted.  Tannenbaum was a friend of Mangini and “part of the interviewing process” — a common Jets theme — but acknowledged that it was Bradway who made the final call to hire Mangini.

Regardless, in late December 2008, Mangini was fired, and on January 20, 2009, Tannebaum hired Rex Ryan to replace him.

I would like to extend my sympathies to Sam Darnold. 

On May 23, 2019 at 4:01 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I agree. He inspires no confidence. If I were a Jets fan, I would be terrified to know this guy is in charge of pretty much everything right now. 

That comment about “Christopher Johnson isn’t looking for a traditional GM” would also make me nervous. I’d be worried that Gase may retain control of the 53 man roster (even though he said he wouldn’t). 

Ill be somewhat surprised if this guy isn’t a disaster. 

BTW, I think he keeps his hat low like that to hide his eyes after that whole “crazy eyes” introductory press conference. 

The NYC media is going to eat him alive.... lol. 

There are plenty of old photos from his fish days with Gase wearing the hat like that.  He probably has some sort of condition.  I feel bad for him about that but nothing else.  He's a douche.

On May 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM, Hedge said:

Meanwhile, in Jets land...

Wtf does that even mean.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, FLFan said:

I was not sure if this deserved a new thread or not so posted it here.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837130-stats-dont-lie-adam-gase-is-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets

An excellent analysis from BR concerning why Gase may well be the absolute wrong coach for the Jets and Darnold.  This is one of many reasons that I think the selection of Gase will cripple the Jets franchise for years to come. Lovin' it.  

THAT is an interesting analysis and conclusion.

I'd kill to JA's stats in those same categories last season; something tells me our young QB, like Darnold (and probably even more so) ranks highly with respect to target/completion depth on 2nd- and 3rd-and-long. His efficiency numbers are where the progress must be made. But Josh Allen is nooooooo Ryan Tannehill, for sure.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, FLFan said:

It is an interesting find, Thank you!

What puzzles me - and maybe I didn't read carefully - is how can one separate out the impact of Gase's system vs. the field vision of the QB executing it?

I mean, maybe the play was there and the QBs Gase had didn't pull the trigger or chose to dump off?

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What puzzles me - and maybe I didn't read carefully - is how can one separate out the impact of Gase's system vs. the field vision of the QB executing it?

I mean, maybe the play was there and the QBs Gase had didn't pull the trigger or chose to dump off?

I suppose the way to answer that question would be to look at the same QBs in non-Gase systems...and I "ain't got time for that."

Anyway, I think Gase is an egomaniac without the goods to back it up, and the Jets will soon learn that the hard way.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting question and while he does not break down the numbers in detail as he does for Cutler and Tannehill, he does mention that his offense worked very well for Payton Manning, who obviously is 10 x the QB of either of those guys, and of Darnold at this stage of his career. 

I would also also consider that at that stage of Manning's career the offensive design and playing calling had as much to do with Manning as it did with Gase.

Edited by FLFan
Additional comment