Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea this must be why they didn't take Mahomes or Watson.... it couldn't be because McDermott and Beane didn't think either guy was worth the pick and they were more concerned with getting one in what was a more highly touted class the following year.... they took "steady Eddie" as Beane refers to him in Nathan Peterman a few rounds later.... you think they were using Whaleys board? There were a lot of rumblings from Carolina of the Bills stealing their board. 

Just call it what it is. They passed on Mahomes/Watson because they wanted to. 

They passed on them, I believe, because McDermott wanted a real GM in position before making such a franchise altering decision. Didn't hurt that the next year's QB class was viewed as being better so there was incentive to wait.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

Point 1 - if Darnold becomes a good QB then who drafted him will be totally irrelevant.  If he proves to be a bust, then who drafted him will also be irrelevant.  Being "his guy" or "their guy" only matters when a highly drafted  QB prospect doesn't develop into more than a mediocre starter and a team has to decide whether to keep him or move on.   Goff wasn't McVay's "guy" until he proved himself a good QB.   If Tampa moves on from Jameis Winston, it won't be that he's not Bruce Arians' "guy" but that he simply hasn't developed into a good enough NFL QB.

Point 2 - the only legitimate reasons to pass a great QB prospect when the opportunity to draft one arises is that a) you already have a franchise QB on your roster or b) you already drafted a great QB prospect the previous year or two or c) the player evaluators don't like the QB prospect(s) available.  Passing on a great QB prospect in order to give your future GM a chance to draft "his own guy" is beyond stupid simply because the team may not have the opportunity to draft a great QB prospect for the next 5 years or more, either because there aren't any QBs worth drafting (2013) or all the great QB prospects are already gone (2004 or 2016).   

Or D) You're not a GM and don't trust the evaluation of the current GM, so you need to get a GM you trust in the building so you can feel confident that you are picking a good QB.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:23 PM, TBBills Fan said:

Okay here is food for thought....

This firing is out of left field timing wise, or it "making no sense" right now is pretty universally agreed...I think

Okay, so after we laugh, which we can and should, lets take a moment to consider what the hell the straw was that broke the camels back here.

We know Johnson was on site more just to "see it for himself" apparently....

so lets speculate on how bad (realistically) it may have been behind closed doors between these guys....

(Edit: oh wait should that be its own thread or is it better here?)

Just picturing grown ass men at the jets facility screaming at each other or being held apart is a wonderful thought to comtemplate...

Im just saying I really would love to hear what the straw was that broke the camels back...

lol

I wouldn't agree that it makes no sense.  They gave Macgagnan five drafts. He has done a crappy job, outside of his high first round picks.  That's a plenty big sample-size.  Arguably, it was a long-time coming.  Not on ly did he get virtually nothing after the first round but there were total head-scratchers that virtually everyone else seemed to know were bad (like Hackenberg) but him.

So then why didn't they fire him when they fired Bowles?  I think Chris Johnson though it would be too overwhelming to do a search for the Coach and the GM at the same time with free agent season coming so soon.  And time is of the essence in getting the top guys signed.

And it is very tough for a new GM to do a draft on two or three months notice.  They don't have their scouts in place.  They don't know the entrenched scouts well enough to know if they can trust them.  I can kinda see why he did it this way.  But he is taking a PR beating.

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

And now they're going for Peyton Manning as GM. This should be good. Hoping they hire T.O for P.R director or something.

What’s a press conference without a few sit-ups? 

5 hours ago, APoxOnYou said:

Mahomes wouldn't have thrived here anyways if we would've drafted him. I wouldn't lose sleep over that pick.

Edit: Instead of using the cop out of reaction emojis. Tell me why I'm wrong? 

Because I have eyes. Define thrived? 50 TD's? No. But he doubled the production of his predecessor Alex Smith, a quality QB in his own right. Are the Chiefs stacked? Yes. Is Patrick Mahomes a transcendent talent? Absolutely. He would have been a star wherever he was drafted.

However, NONE of that will matter if Allen is the real deal. 

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I wouldn't agree that it makes no sense.  They gave Macgagnan five drafts. He has done a crappy job, outside of his high first round picks.  That's a plenty big sample-size.  Arguably, it was a long-time coming.  Not on ly did he get virtually nothing after the first round but there were total head-scratchers that virtually everyone else seemed to know were bad (like Hackenberg) but him.

So then why didn't they fire him when they fired Bowles?  I think Chris Johnson though it would be too overwhelming to do a search for the Coach and the GM at the same time with free agent season coming so soon.  And time is of the essence in getting the top guys signed.

And it is very tough for a new GM to do a draft on two or three months notice.  They don't have their scouts in place.  They don't know the entrenched scouts well enough to know if they can trust them.  I can kinda see why he did it this way.  But he is taking a PR beating.

The issue is if Johnson didn’t want to do the work to search for a coach and a GM - why give the GM you want to fire a big say in hiring the HC.

Additionally - why give that same GM the keys to the biggest FA haul in years for the Jets?  If you think he is a bad GM - why let him spend and put you back into Salary Cap jail.

If you are getting rid of the GM for doing a bad job - why do you let him run the final draft - to the point that the coach literally did not participate at all in the draft prep and running of the draft.

Finally - if you were getting rid of the GM for performance- wouldn’t you have some legitimate people in mind and be moving on this process.  The head coach just made a trade of a former 1st round pick and cut players to sign a punter.  There is work and fires to be put out.

In the end - you put together these 3 points and it is obvious they had no intention of getting rid of the GM, but the actions of the new coach forced their hand.  Gase was not happy with the FA players signed - nor the money and it is obvious that he was not happy with the pre-draft and draft action.  Someone had to go - so say bye bye to the GM.  It may not be wrong based on the draft history, but I do not think it was part of a plan - it just needed to happen once you look closely at the 2 guys involved.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Or D) You're not a GM and don't trust the evaluation of the current GM, so you need to get a GM you trust in the building so you can feel confident that you are picking a good QB.

Not having a GM and competent scouting apparatus in place to run the draft is absolutely not acceptable.  It's an excuse for an incompetent organization that hasn't done its job.   According to former NFL GM Charley Cassserly, the primary job of a GM, even when he has limited power as Whaley had in Buffalo, is to run the draft.   Pegula and Brandon knew what they had in Whaley.  If they had any doubts about how he might get along with a new HC, they should have fired him at the end of 2016 when they canned Ryan or they should have let him have much more input into the hiring a new coach so that he could get a HC that he could work with (I believe that McDermott was hired by a search committee but I'm not positive that's true).

If an organization doesn't "trust"  their GM enough to allow him to run their draft and instead turn it over to a rookie HC whose been with the team for a few months at the last minute, what's the point of keeping him and the scouts that answer to him on the payroll until after the draft?    Since the NFL is a tiny exclusive club with only 32 members, it's highly unlikely that the Bills could hide that Whaley was a lame-duck from their peers for very long so the excuse that they didn't want to "tip their hand on the draft"  is just more excuse making.

21 hours ago, APoxOnYou said:

Mahomes wouldn't have thrived here anyways if we would've drafted him. I wouldn't lose sleep over that pick.

Edit: Instead of using the cop out of reaction emojis. Tell me why I'm wrong? 

So he would NEVER have thrived here??  Does that mean the Josh Allen is alos doomed?

Or do you mean Mahoimes would have had a tough year or 2 until the Bills put this team together around him, in which case, who cares?

This kind of comment ("Mahomes' would have struggled here") never made much sense, but makes zero sense at this point.  He would be doing fine---as fine (or better) than how we all hope for Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I really hope they give Gase control of the 53. It’ll limit most of the better GM candidates from even getting permission to interview (iirc it’s not viewed as a true promotion if they don’t have control of the 53 man roster). 

I actually feel a bit a bit bad for Jets fans. But it’s also a fun story to follow. lol

• Haha (+1) 1

Here's  the video from Gase's press conference today. What about this guy makes anyone think he's a good communicator or leader? Terrible body language: slouching, not looking at questioners, hat pulled down over his eyes. He'd better be an offensive genius to overcome this attitude, but I haven't seen that either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KoW_wzuH0

• Like (+1) 1