Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

How, exactly, has Pegula "finally got it right for the Bills"?   The Bills landed in the 2017 playoffs only because the Colts defenders couldn't tackle Shady in a snowstorm and the Ravens defenders fell asleep on 4th and 12 at the end of the game.  The Bills won 6 games in 2018 and, frankly, are lucky they still have a healthy starting QB for the poor offensive talent they put around him.   They lost 4 games by 2 TDs or more in 2017 and 6 more by 2 TDs or more in 2018. 

Maybe the Bills will turn it around in 2019 but there's no guarantee that they will -- and no evidence that the Pegulas have learned much about building a winning football team which starts with building a competent organization.   They have certainly failed to do so with the Sabres in their seven years as owners.

The Bills got in the playoffs because of the Colts game and one play in the Ravens/Bengals game?  Wow!!  Here I was thinking the season was 16 games and each game counted toward your record to get into the playoffs. 

??‍♀️ 

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe if the Bills made the playoffs more often than seventeen year cicadas hatch, maybe occasionally making them on miraculous plays wouldn't be so noticeable.

The Bills beat the Colts in OT when McCoy ran for 65 yards for the winning score ... after the Bills allowed the Colts to score their only TD on a 19 play drive that took up nearly 10 minutes of the 4th quarter.  

The Bills wouldn't have made the playoffs despite Shady's heroics against Indy if Andy Dalton didn't throw a 49 yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on a fourth and 12 play with less than a minute to play to keep Baltimore from taking the final wild card slot.

I suppose I could have cited Nathan's scintillating play against the Chargers as making the Indy win and the Ravens loss necessary ... but ... probably not ...

The Colts game?  You realize the Bills were the better team (Luck missed that game/season), were at home and had to start Peterman (and then had to play Webb), right?  The snow was the only thing that equalized that game.  As for the Ravens, they blew it.  Why did they deserve to go to the playoffs if they couldn't even stop the Bungles on 4th and 12, at home, with the playoffs on the line? 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is hilarious 

This is a more pathetic version of “im taking my ball and going home!”

Is there any reason to believe that this grown man has more emotional resiliency than a teenage girl?... 

Mannings continued vouching for him is actually the one thing that could tarnish the reputation or 18...

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe if the Bills made the playoffs more often than seventeen year cicadas hatch, maybe occasionally making them on miraculous plays wouldn't be so noticeable.

Boy or boy, the Bills getting into the playoffs really upset you.

On the other hand, seventeen year cicadas is a good one.  I'll give you that. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The Colts game?  You realize the Bills were the better team (Luck missed that game/season), were at home and had to start Peterman (and then had to play Webb), right?  The snow was the only thing that equalized that game.  As for the Ravens, they blew it.  Why did they deserve to go to the playoffs if they couldn't even stop the Bungles on 4th and 12, at home, with the playoffs on the line? 

Agreed,

The Bills were like Baltimore when the Bills failed to beat the Steelers backups at home for a playoff birth.

Happens all the time.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SoTier said:

Seeing as it is just you doing this right now, it is only you that has to worry about it.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, eball said:

Oh my god, the similarities between what the Jets are doing now and what the Bills did two years ago are striking. How can any Bills fan criticize the Jets?

Sincerely,

ScottLaw

I haven’t even seen a single reporter or analyst, local or national, claim that the situations are similar outside of the fact that both GMs were fired after a new HC was hired and after the draft. The only place I have seen this stretch on it being the same is on here. The biggest difference to me (and there are a ton that have already been discussed) is that the “franchise QB” was drafted under an entirely different regime now and neither the HC or future GM have any ties to him or are invested in his success since they didn’t pick him. One of the biggest reasons the Bills did not select a QB in the 2017 draft was because they knew Whaley was gone and wanted the QB to be selected under the new regime tied to both McDermott and Beane, and McD didn’t trust Whaley Staff’s QB scouting to use it on such a franchise altering decision. Here you have Sam Darnold now who you would think Gase wants to succeed because then it will mean wins... but he didn’t pick him and neither did the GM. That results in a much shorter leash for a QB and less commitment to his development, if the Jets have a high pick next year and Darnold wasn’t great, what’s to stop Gase from pulling what the Cardinals did this year? Nothing. How invested will they be in ensuring he develops? A lot less than if he was “their guy.” Watch for the hook to come out and him get benched if he throws a few picks 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t even seen a single reporter or analyst, local or national, claim that the situations are similar outside of the fact that both GMs were fired after a new HC was hired and after the draft. The only place I have seen this stretch on it being the same is on here. The biggest difference to me (and there are a ton that have already been discussed) is that the “franchise QB” was drafted under an entirely different regime now and neither the HC or future GM have any ties to him or are invested in his success since they didn’t pick him. One of the biggest reasons the Bills did not select a QB in the 2017 draft was because they knew Whaley was gone and wanted the QB to be selected under the new regime tied to both McDermott and Beane, and McD didn’t trust Whaley Staff’s QB scouting to use it on such a franchise altering decision. Here you have Sam Darnold now who you would think Gase wants to succeed because then it will mean wins... but he didn’t pick him and neither did the GM. That results in a much shorter leash for a QB and less commitment to his development, if the Jets have a high pick next year and Darnold wasn’t great, what’s to stop Gase from pulling what the Cardinals did this year? Nothing. How invested will they be in ensuring he develops? A lot less than if he was “their guy.” Watch for the hook to come out and him get benched if he throws a few picks 

to add.  even though whaley was the gm he was listening to mcd and made the deal to move back and by all accounts drafted guys mcd wanted. so we never had this gase situation where the rumors are he hates the draft and free agent signings.  beane comes in and is on the same page with mcd again and it was a seamless transition.  no distractions or controversy in the building.  

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t even seen a single reporter or analyst, local or national, claim that the situations are similar outside of the fact that both GMs were fired after a new HC was hired and after the draft. The only place I have seen this stretch on it being the same is on here. The biggest difference to me (and there are a ton that have already been discussed) is that the “franchise QB” was drafted under an entirely different regime now and neither the HC or future GM have any ties to him or are invested in his success since they didn’t pick him. One of the biggest reasons the Bills did not select a QB in the 2017 draft was because they knew Whaley was gone and wanted the QB to be selected under the new regime tied to both McDermott and Beane, and McD didn’t trust Whaley Staff’s QB scouting to use it on such a franchise altering decision. Here you have Sam Darnold now who you would think Gase wants to succeed because then it will mean wins... but he didn’t pick him and neither did the GM. That results in a much shorter leash for a QB and less commitment to his development, if the Jets have a high pick next year and Darnold wasn’t great, what’s to stop Gase from pulling what the Cardinals did this year? Nothing. How invested will they be in ensuring he develops? A lot less than if he was “their guy.” Watch for the hook to come out and him get benched if he throws a few picks

2 words: Nathan Peterman. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea this must be why they didn't take Mahomes or Watson.... it couldn't be because McDermott and Beane didn't think either guy was worth the pick and they were more concerned with getting one in what was a more highly touted class the following year.... they took "steady Eddie" as Beane refers to him in Nathan Peterman a few rounds later.... you think they were using Whaleys board? There were a lot of rumblings from Carolina of the Bills stealing their board. 

Just call it what it is. They passed on Mahomes/Watson because they wanted to. 

Weird.  You never bring this up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:09 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Point 1 - if Darnold becomes a good QB then who drafted him will be totally irrelevant.  If he proves to be a bust, then who drafted him will also be irrelevant.  Being "his guy" or "their guy" only matters when a highly drafted  QB prospect doesn't develop into more than a mediocre starter and a team has to decide whether to keep him or move on.   Goff wasn't McVay's "guy" until he proved himself a good QB.   If Tampa moves on from Jameis Winston, it won't be that he's not Bruce Arians' "guy" but that he simply hasn't developed into a good enough NFL QB.

Point 2 - the only legitimate reasons to pass a great QB prospect when the opportunity to draft one arises is that a) you already have a franchise QB on your roster or b) you already drafted a great QB prospect the previous year or two or c) the player evaluators don't like the QB prospect(s) available.  Passing on a great QB prospect in order to give your future GM a chance to draft "his own guy" is beyond stupid simply because the team may not have the opportunity to draft a great QB prospect for the next 5 years or more, either because there aren't any QBs worth drafting (2013) or all the great QB prospects are already gone (2004 or 2016).   

• Like (+1) 1