Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

21 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Here's a little gem from the Jests' message board: 

Screenshot_20190516-080015_Chrome.jpg

The new Bills?  The last time they went to the Superbowl I was a twinkle in my father's eye.  Should we compare division titles?

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You're right.

It means before "Modanna."

Also, a hint (spelling of Madonna aside): you're literally, semantically wrong. "Pre-" as a prefix does mean "previous to; before."

Youre a little late there bud.  Maybe you should revisit in a week or so and make a comment?

There was a widespread belief in the organization that the pursuit of Bell was spurred by ownership—or moreso that Maccagnan conducted it because he knew that’s what the Johnsons wanted. In the process, Gase informed others in the building that he didn’t want Bell, but said that, if Bell signed, he’d be fine coaching him. Fair or not, some saw that as Gase distancing himself from the decision, while lining himself up for credit if it worked, in large part because that matched up with his reputation in Miami.

Then before the draft, another small sign that aligned with how the Bell situation was perceived cropped up. The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better.

Through it all, Maccagnan held the trigger, and came under criticism internally over a lack of decisiveness that matched poorly with others playing both sides of decision; he’d collect opinions but rarely came down strongly on one side or another in meetings. But free agency and the draft were his shows—In fact, in the war room on draft weekend, Gase was relatively quiet. So it’s easy to ask why Johnson allowed his lame-duck GM to run the bulk of the offseason, if there was a plan to go in another direction (and rumors were circulating about Maccagnan and potential replacement Joe Douglas weeks before the draft). In a similar situation two years ago, the Bills wound up quietly giving command of the draft to coach Sean McDermott, knowing Doug Whaley was on the outs. That didn’t happen here.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The new Bills?  The last time they went to the Superbowl I was a twinkle in my father's eye.  Should we compare division titles?

I feel like he was speaking to the 20 years of ineptitude. If the Jets are spiraling that toilet bowl, count me among those cheering their descent!

You're right, though: The Jets have nothing on us!

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I feel like he was speaking to the 20 years of ineptitude. If the Jets are spiraling that toilet bowl, count me among those cheering their descent!

You're right, though: The Jets have nothing on us!

Just goes to prove that drafting a franchise QB doesn't fix everything. You can change GMs and head coaches every 2 years and enjoy a continuous rebuild.

Its all on the owner, that path will get you nowhere...

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Just goes to prove that drafting a franchise QB doesn't fix everything. You can change GMs and head coaches every 2 years and enjoy a continuous rebuild.

True, but perhaps the Jests suffer from their environment. Are they not just a reflection of New Jersey: a quagmire of endless construction zones?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

House, my good man, truer words have not been spoken. You are spot on, per usual, my friend! 

YE OLE has spent the last few decades now, watching the games, listening to sports radio, reading message boards, etc. It always ebbs and flows as to what the true path to success is in building a championship team. For the last several years everyone is all in on the so called "franchise QB" being the magic bullet. If we go back a few more years it was "Well you can win with Trent Dilfer, you really need a strong running game and a defense." Granted, the rules of the league have changed in recent year to favor the passing game, but we just saw a slugfest of a SB where 13 points won the game. We've seen that Aaron Rodgers + bad coaching is unsuccessful and this year we'll probably also prove that "Some guy who knows Sean McVay + a rag tag roster" won't work either. If you want to win, you really need 53 good players and good coaching. For the first time, in a very long time, it seems that we may cut players out of training camp that will be coveted by other teams. This is a step in the right direction... it seemed that the Jets may have also been making progress until this latest fiasco. Which is probably also good news for us. 

4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

True, but perhaps the Jests suffer from their environment. Are they not just a reflection of New Jersey: a quagmire of endless construction zones?

And toxic waste sites...

• Haha (+1) 1

“He literally took his seat and moved it (out of camera view),” said a current team employee that was in the war room. “That was extreme.”

Gase wanted to wash his hands of the draft before it even began, according to sources. Eyewitnesses told the Daily News that he was oddly detached for all three days. This was a Maccagnan Production through and through. Gase stayed out of the way, rarely giving input on trade possibilities or prospects when the Jets were on the clock. There was no point that Gase ever fought for or objected to any of Maccagnan’s picks.

The sentiment among people in the room: This was awkward.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No ***** they do. Which is why everyone gets pissed when I'm critical. Just because I'm critical doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching them play. 

I am glad that you feel this way.  If you didn't it would mean your criticism had other motives.

I was critical of the OL last offseason and thought Bodine and Newhouse would not fix it.

Groy, Miller and Conor McDermott were being vastly over rated in my opinion.

I even said that once DEs got tape on Dawkins he may struggle.

I stuck with that all last year despite being told the OL will be fine.

In my mind Beane/McDermott and Castillo all had to share the blame for that.

I don't blame Daboll because I think he didn't have a lot of say in that.

There has been a huge attempt this year to repair that mistake.  Whether it will improve as much as needed only the OL play in games will reveal.

I guess I don't carry the managements failure last year as a predestination of failure this year.

Do you see what I mean?