Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From that article:

In 2017, the Bills weren’t far off from this. After Sean McDermott was hired to replace Rex Ryan, then-GM Doug Whaley, who stuck around during free agency and that offseason’s NFL draft, was fired right after the draft.

Sounds a bit like this week, no?

Actually, that’s right. No it does not sound familiar and nor should it for Bills fans.

What about to Bills "fans"? ? :beer:

Pretty clear that Buffalo had a plan whereas the Jets do not seem to.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The similarities are their between Pegula and Johnson.

Two indecisive owners who aren't the most knowledgeable and competent sports guys in the world. 

I think Pegula wanted to keep Whaley aboard and then changed his mind after the hire of McDermott. 

Typically franchise hires their GM before their HC. ?

dude, you're just trying too hard now.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

From that article:

What about to Bills "fans"? ? :beer:

Pretty clear that Buffalo had a plan whereas the Jets do not seem to.

Well in the Jets defense it took us about 20 years to formulate that "clear" plan

having the right GM Coach combo is as crucial a finding a franchise QB.  It taking the Pegulas multiple tries with the Sabres and the Bills and they are only hoping their latest Sabres change is the one there. At least they finally go it right for the Bills so I have hope of seeing that eventually repeating with the Sabres.. I am hopeful on Krueger, Boterill worries me though...

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Two indecisive owners who aren't the most knowledgeable and competent sports guys in the world. 

I think Pegula wanted to keep Whaley aboard and then changed his mind after the hire of McDermott. 

I see the Pegulas as learning as they go. I'm very happy with the state of the Bills moving forward..  I can also see what they are striving for with both franchises and although it hasn't been as smooth as we would like I still strongly believe they will get both franchises firing well. When they get the right combos they'll stick with them and stability / Consistency will follow.

No worries at all.. Just patience mnixed in with impatient frustrations but not worried as they will get it right and they will lock it in when they do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Couple things that he didn't touch on: 

The Bills were headed for a rebuild... The Jets are supposed to be coming out of one. 

There wasn't a power struggle, there was a neutered GM who was kept as a figure head and then let go immediately. I'm sure Whaley knew it was coming, either by direct mention from Terry, or by figuring it out.

And, the biggest difference: 

We weren't handing the keys to the building to a retread coach who has never accomplished anything, just spent the past three years fighting for power and ruining the roster of a division rival, and has a horrible interpersonal reputation in the league. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think that right after McDermott was hired that Brandon Beane was the target for GM.

Beane was already destined to be the new Bills GM before Whaley was actually fired IMO.

If Gettleman was fired earlier in the off season then Beane may have stayed in Carolina.

When it got to March or so I think his (Beane) decision to move up to Buffalo was made.

It was too close to the draft for the move to be made.

I truly believe McDermott and Beane discussed this possibility before McDermott was even hired.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think that right after McDermott was hired that Brandon Beane was the target for GM.

Beane was already destined to be the new Bills GM before Whaley was actually fired IMO.

If Gettleman was fired earlier in the off season then Beane may have stayed in Carolina.

When it got to March or so I think his (Beane) decision to move up to Buffalo was made.

It was too close to the draft for the move to be made.

I truly believe McDermott and Beane discussed this possibility before McDermott was even hired.

It’s almost a guarantee that they did... they interviewed as a package deal for the Niners before McD took the Bills job (they had both jobs open at the same time unlike the Bills)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

...and Dir of Player Personnel Joe Douglas in Philly who worked with Gase for 1 year in Chicago, 

You’ve got Johnson as the owner, ‘At home with the psycho’ Gase, and the NYC/NJ media and fan base.  Might as well name Joe Dirt to the position.

49 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Trolls gonna troll. If you want to stop hearing stuff from this guy, just put him on ignore. Hard to troll if no one is listening...

I like Scotty to much to put him on ignore. It just wouldn’t seem right. 

7 minutes ago, teef said:

I like Scotty to much to put him on ignore. It just wouldn’t seem right. 

It will keep your BP down.

I am OK with an alternate take.  What is tiresome is the constant droning, one note negativity.  Let's disagree but have a positive side on occasion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Possible replacements for Mccagnan: Scott Pioli, who stepped down from Asst GM role in Atlanta today, and Dir of Player Personnel Joe Douglas in Philly who worked with Gase for 1 year in Chicago, 

How does Pioli continue to get new jobs? And they say COACHES get recycled.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I've read it was Peyton Manning calling the Jets to endorse Gase is what got him hired by NY in the first place.

Not sure I get the love for the guy by Manning as it couldn't have been too difficult to coach the Broncos offense with Manning at QB. Didn't Denver promote Gase after Mike McCoy was hired to be HC of the Chargers in 2013? Gase worked for two seasons as Denver's OC and then followed Denver's HC John Fox after he was fired to Chicago.

That 2015 Bears offense was only ranked at 23rd in PF,  21st in yards. So, I don't get the hiring of Gase as HC of the Miami Dolphins either? I almost wonder if Manning made a call to the Dolphins owner too.  Does Adam Gase have some wild-eyed compromising photos of Manning? :w00t:

I just don't get it! The new HC/GM of the NY Jets he went 23 -25 as HC of the Dolphins. While he does now have an intriguing coaching staff at NY with Gregg Williams at DC and ex-Lions HC Jim Caldwell as OC.  I'd be more inclined to hire Williams or Caldwell as HC over Gase.