Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

In some ways ... but there is a lot more to it than that. It should be collaborative. The GM is building a team, not taking orders 

agreed. i didn't mean errand boy or anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

agreed. i didn't mean errand boy or anything. 

And it depends who the coach is. If bill belichick is telling his guy who to draft and sign, you don’t question it much. If Adam gase is ... well.... he’s entirely unproven.

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It may appear on the surface like a similar situation but looking at it from the lens of following both situations closely, it was not. Mac was given full control of the draft and FA, which caused friction with Gase and then ownership caved. There was tons of media speculation about the friction between the 2 and Gase denied it all. With the Bills situation, Whaley was a lame duck the minute McD got here. He was so different than Rex/Whaley that the Pegulas witnessed competence and realized that Whaley was in over his head. It didn’t help that he looked like a bumbling idiot in front of the media over and over and didn’t appear fit to run an NFL team.  He reportedly had little control over the draft or FA and was just a puppet for McD until Beane got there, which is why he and the entire FO and scouting dept was fired the day after the draft. McD also didn’t reach for control over the 53, the Bills just wanted a different GM to pair with McD and draft the QB, 

The Jets are firing the GM who picked the QB -during OTAs - and outside of his right hand man, everyone else in the FO is still there and GASE is now in his job, until they fill it. And when they do, that GM will not have control over the 53, I suspect.

I do agree with you, I just think there is a parallel there. If you remember, there was a lot of national negative criticism after the Bills fired Whaley and the scouts after the draft. Many who were not following the Bills closely scratched their heads and were confused about the timing, just like in this situation.

Looking back, everything is clear and the moves make sense. Not sure it will work out that way for Gase and company, but we'll see. I do think Gase has a good football mind (although he is a terrible leader), and the same can be said about Greg Williams on the other side. I think they'll win some games. I just wonder if there will be too much in fighting and politics to allow them to become a contender.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't have what it takes long term to be a successful Head Coach. He doesn't have the character, the demeanor or the leadership skill. He is, I think, a good x and o guy - especially on offense. But you need to be a hell of a lot more than that to win consistently in this league. Gase's body language on the sideline when his team is struggling is atrocious. He is a sulker. You can't succeed that way. I am sure of it. You have to stay a teacher at all times good or bad. 

Is Gase the Jay Cutler of coaches?  Is he a GM-killer??  ?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i'm surprised more coaches haven't been gms.  belichick is the only guy now that does it i believe.  i think chip kelly was.  been some other random ones but it never lasted that i remember.  

because it usually ends very poorly..Mike Sherman, Mike Holmgren..

Coaches are generally self aware enough to know that coaching is a full time job and while they expect to have a say, they usually recognize they need to work with the GM...not BE the GM

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do agree with you, I just think there is a parallel there. If you remember, there was a lot of national negative criticism after the Bills fired Whaley and the scouts after the draft. Many who we're not following the Bills closely scratched their heads and were confused about the timing, just like in this situation.

Looking back, everything is clear and the lives make sense. Not sure it will work out that way for Gase and company, but we'll see. I do think Gase has a good football mind (although he is a terrible leader), and the same can be said about Greg Williams on the other side. I think they'll win some games. I just wonder if there will be too much in fighting and politics to allow them to become a contender.

There are parallels, though it is more akin to what marrone tried to pull off, unsuccessfully, before he quit. There were reports of friction all through 2014, then he went to Pegula and tried to control over the 53 away from Whaley. Pegs said no and he quit. 

4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Interesting, I guess he still hasnt learned anything then.

Greggo, Mac or gase? Because greggo's defense have been in the lower half of the league since he returned. Usually the lower 3rd. 

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Is this all that different from what we did with Whaley?

Everyone knew Whaley was a goner....    Nobody let Whaley draft or sign prominent FA's in his last offseason here.

Much Much Much different

• Like (+1) 1