Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

Gase didnt want to pay Bell and Mosley the money the did.  But if they didn't pay them that money they would have signed elsewhere and the Jets would have had nothing improving on their team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They let Gase, who has won nothing, win the power struggle that fast and take over the entire team? 

But the same could be said of McDermott, right? We did the same thing, allowing McDermott to bring in a GM that he trusted.

7 minutes ago, Dafan said:

Gase didnt want to pay Bell and Mosley the money the did.  But if they didn't pay them that money they would have signed elsewhere and the Jets would have had nothing improving on their team.

Exactly - the GM had to make moves to save his job, so, oh, yeah wait...

If I am a Jets fan, I’d rather have Gase in charge than Maccagnan.  Gase was the next big offensive coach coming from Denver.  I can’t really hold it against him that he didn’t win with Tannehill as QB.  Deserves another shot.  Maccagnan was a clown and deserved to go.  

41 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Pre-Modanna doesnt mean before Madonna.

They're making fun of you because it's "prima donna," not "pre-madonna."

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If I am a Jets fan, I’d rather have Gase in charge than Maccagnan.  Gase was the next big offensive coach coming from Denver.  I can’t really hold it against him that he didn’t win with Tannehill as QB.  Deserves another shot.  Maccagnan was a clown and deserved to go.  

If I am a Jets fan... well I wouldn't want to be a Jets fan. I wouldnt trust Gase either though, Maccagnan put them in a bad spot in reality.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

His winning percentage is better than McDermott's and he's actually beat BB a few times.... so I don't really get all the criticism from Bills fans of him.

He doesn't have what it takes long term to be a successful Head Coach. He doesn't have the character, the demeanor or the leadership skill. He is, I think, a good x and o guy - especially on offense. But you need to be a hell of a lot more than that to win consistently in this league. Gase's body language on the sideline when his team is struggling is atrocious. He is a sulker. You can't succeed that way. I am sure of it. You have to stay a teacher at all times good or bad. 

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Exactly - the GM had to make moves to save his job, so, oh, yeah wait...

I think this is what killed Mac.  He spent excessively on splashy free agents for an immediate impact an keep his job.  

He has a terrible drafting record outside of the 1 top-six pick he gets to make almost every year.  Now the Jets have devoted big money to a RB and a LB, which are usually two of the most cap-friendly positions.

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

But the same could be said of McDermott, right? We did the same thing, allowing McDermott to bring in a GM that he trusted.

It may appear on the surface like a similar situation but looking at it from the lens of following both situations closely, it was not. Mac was given full control of the draft and FA, which caused friction with Gase and then ownership caved. There was tons of media speculation about the friction between the 2 and Gase denied it all. With the Bills situation, Whaley was a lame duck the minute McD got here. He was so different than Rex/Whaley that the Pegulas witnessed competence and realized that Whaley was in over his head. It didn’t help that he looked like a bumbling idiot in front of the media over and over and didn’t appear fit to run an NFL team.  He reportedly had little control over the draft or FA and was just a puppet for McD until Beane got there, which is why he and the entire FO and scouting dept was fired the day after the draft. McD also didn’t reach for control over the 53, the Bills just wanted a different GM to pair with McD and draft the QB, 

The Jets are firing the GM who picked the QB -during OTAs - and outside of his right hand man, everyone else in the FO is still there and GASE is now in his job, until they fill it. And when they do, that GM will not have control over the 53, I suspect.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

having your gm and coach on the same page is so important. Interesting this didn't happen before the draft

Totally agree. In this case, it will be more about the GM being on Gase’s page. I don’t envision a two-way street

49 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They Had an idiot for a GM.  As did the Jets.  Gase has recognized his deficiencies in the D department and hired Greggo.

The word is one of the sticking points was hiring greggo. Gase didn't want him.

A major reason why the Pats have had an 18 year dynasty is because of the total incompetence of the other 3 organizations in this division. 

Don’t ever let this fact get lost when bringing up the Pats in historical perspectives.

The Jets continue to be living proof of this as they follow Buffalo’s footsteps on how to handle a GM situation (Bills in 2017).

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Totally agree. In this case, it will be more about the GM being on Gase’s page. I don’t envision a two-way street

that's what it should be. the gm should be getting the players the coach wants.  

Just now, aristocrat said:

that's what it should be. the gm should be getting the players the coach wants.  

In some ways ... but there is a lot more to it than that. It should be collaborative. The GM is building a team, not taking orders 

• Like (+1) 1