Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has a point but after you give a guy four years of drafts and he does a bad job, don't you have to move on?  His only good picks were his high first round picks.  Missed on all his second rounders (including the incomprehensible Hackenberg pick) and pretty much all the others that he made as well.  How many mulligans should he get?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems a little late now. This is the kind of decision you need to make before spending the money. And this puts Bell and Mosley in a very awkward position. This is as dysfunctional as it gets.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Seems a little late now. This is the kind of decision you need to make before spending the money. And this puts Bell and Mosley in a very awkward position. This is as dysfunctional as it gets.

Yep. I ALREADY loved the fact that the Jets gave tons of money to a running back and an off-ball linebacker. Now, hearing that their new head coach didn't even really want them? Too delicious for words.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

The jets jets are trying to build a team with high priced free agents.  This never works and always gets the gm fired. When a team is close to the Superbowl and and wants to get over the hump then a high priced free agent makes sense.  

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Is this all that different from what we did with Whaley?

So here are some key differences:

Bills: Whaley signs no FAs before the draft

Jets: Let Mac spend $191.2M on Le'Veon Bell, C.J. Mosley, Jamison Crowder and Henry Anderson

Bills: Trade down out of the #10 spot to stock picks for the next year and incoming GM

Jets: Let Mac stay at #3 overall

Bills: Fire Whaley the day after the draft and immediately move on their GM target

Jets: Wait 3 weeks and have no one lined up

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

Chronologically, Cher came before Madonna who came before Spears, so Cher (along with Stevie Nicks and Joni Mitchell) are all Pre-Madonna's.  Until another Madonna comes along, Spears can't be a Pre-Madonna.

Pre-Modanna doesnt mean before Madonna.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Miami apparently didn't think he was so good.  We'll see. 

They Had an idiot for a GM.  As did the Jets.  Gase has recognized his deficiencies in the D department and hired Greggo.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

The below article is....really something.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/5/15/18624969/the-jets-are-an-aimless-embarrassment

The Jets are an aimless embarrassment

By John B  May 15, 2019, 2:15pm EDT

usa_today_11848584.0.jpgRich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

I don’t have any sympathy for Mike Maccagnan.

His firing was overdue. He had four years to try his hand at being the Jets’ general manager, and his record was objectively poor in almost every category. He didn’t show the big picture vision necessary to build a Super Bowl contender. And there is something poetic about him being pushed out because he lost a power struggle. Just months ago he orchestrated a media campaign designed to make sure Todd Bowles and not he paid the price for the team’s disappointing season.

He needed to be relieved of his duties. I am convinced of that.

But as they do so frequently, the Jets have somehow managed to bungle things even when they are making an obvious move.

Much of the discussion from today’s change will revolve around the timing. I have already seen many comments beginning with, “The timing isn’t ideal, but.”

There is no but.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

That's what I was thinking: who fires their GM right after the draft? Oh yeah, the Bills.

Actually, firing GM's after the draft is not all that uncommon.  There are two schools of thought. One being that you do it right at the end of the season when you dump the head coach.  The second is do it right after the draft so that you don't disrupt the draft preparation and free agency signing process.  I prefer at the end of the season and don't touch the Personnel and Scouting Departments until after the draft.

Gase couldn't get along in Miami and now it has started in New York.  Losers will act like losers!  I love the fact that the New York media is totally apoplectic over the bumbling of both of their teams.

45 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know about that the Bills almost traded up with Denver in the actual draft.

So theirs an Owner then a Chairman/CEO then a President then a GM then a HC? That seems a little top heavy.

Almost?  So Denver wouldn’t have dropped 1 spot for 1 of those 2nd rounders?  It was a flailing prayer move by a dead man walking GM that bought him another year as GM when he should’ve been fired after year 3 along with Bowles.