Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan, name Adam Gase interim GM

Just now, DCOrange said:

Is this all that different from what we did with Whaley?

It is, Whaley fired himself when he tripped  all over himself trying to hold a press conference. He knew he was out before the draft but they couldn’t fire him until the day after because he had too much info. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

that's true.  i read the snippet and they're looking for a GM now, which seems much more reasonable than handing it over to gase

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's what I was thinking: who fires their GM right after the draft? Oh yeah, the Bills.

It makes sense in theory, as the season for GMs and scouts ends after the draft.  I do fee NYJ would have been wise (as would the Bills) to fire him when they moved on from Bowels

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

It makes sense in theory, as the season for GMs and scouts ends after the draft.  I do fee NYJ would have been wise (as would the Bills) to fire him when they moved on from Bowels

They also waited 3 weeks after the draft - the Bills fired Whaley the day after. It’s like the Jets didn’t know wtf they wanted to do. 

Gase had control over the 53 in Miami .... which was a disaster. So I guess the Jets woke up and decided they should pursue that level of disfunction. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Good point. I guess it feels like we are further past the draft now than when the Bills fired Whaley, but maybe not.

Right after the draft is a known window for GMs to be fired.

But it seemed like the Jets GM was actually making decent moves, and didnt publicly humiliate himself in a Press Conference in which he threw the owners under the bus.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Only if their gm has no ties to gase. a new gm with a coach he didnt hire almost never works. Gase could have pulled a move ala mcd and has someone in mind though

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They also waited 3 weeks after the draft - the Bills fired Whaley the day after. It’s like the Jets didn’t know wtf they wanted to do.

Yeah, it definitely felt like different timing. I didnt think the Bills took this long.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Good point. I guess it feels like we are further past the draft now than when the Bills fired Whaley, but maybe not.

Right after the draft is a known window for GMs to be fired.

But it seemed like the Jets GM was actually making decent moves, and didnt publicly humiliate himself in a Press Conference in which he threw the owners under the bus.

It’s about 3 weeks later than the Bills fired Whaley. In both cases, I maintain that the teams should have fired the GM at the same time as the HC. But the scenarios are a little different in that they clearly didn’t want Whaley to pick the QB, he knew he was out prior to the 2017 draft, he was fired the morning after the draft ended, and the Bills did a “search” but had another GM waiting in the wings. In the Jets case Mccagnon drafted their QB and while they may hire a GM, it doesn’t appear they have one in line if they bothered making Gase “acting GM”. The length of time between the draft and the firing makes it appear this was a decision made without a process. 

• Like (+1) 3