Will Cole Beasley be the most important addition to the Bills Roster

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The more I see breakdowns of what happened last year the more excited I am to see how the Bills will improve in the upcoming season.  Josh Allen had very little help and still as a rookie showed a way to progress and move the team forward.  

The part about Beasley is exciting.

However, the initial play shown is an example of what we've been discussing in another thread - to take a step, Allen needing faster processing to allow him to get the ball out faster.

That play is Bills-Lions 2nd and 7, 12:14 in the 1Q.  Allen gets the snap, McKenzie finishes his route and bounces in place a moment before Allen throws.  The throw is a bit off to McKenzie's right and he subtly adjusts over to make a clean catch on it.  It's not much, it's not awful, but part of what needs to happen to enable YAC is that Allen needs to recognize that the play is there, and place the ball where the receiver can tuck it away and run.  That extra moment and that little adjustment are all that the D needs to react and close in.

Edit: That said, the difference the YAC makes would be between a competent vs. a dangerous offense.  That catch as it stood made it 3rd and 3, and enabled a straightforward 3rd down conversion.  And I should also point out I have no idea if McKenzie ran the route exactly as planned - perhaps Josh threw to where he expected him to be and it's McKenzie's route that requires the little adjustment.

• Like (+1) 1

It all depends on Allen. If he can build a chemistry with Beasley yeah he’ll be Allen’s best friend. Allen’s biggest weakness last year was the quick throws and swing passes and he threw a lot of ugly balls. If he can’t be accurate in the 2-10 yard range Beasley is useless. 

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

If they use him in a Welker/Edelman role, I think he will be a pain in every teams ass just like those two. A guy that is practically uncoverable on 3rd and short is a nightmare for defensive coordinators. And when they start double/triple teaming his routes, we have Brown and Foster over the top for TDs! Should be fun!

Dallas let a guy walk that commands triple teams? 

Idiots! 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dallas let a guy walk that commands triple teams? 

Idiots! 

3 guys with eyes on him on 3rd and short will not be out of the norm. Obviously they aren't all going to run over to him in man, but you can bet there will be a lb on the lookout underneath and safety help up close to try and take him away in addition to the main cover guy if hes on fire. This is usually when Gronk goes over the middle uncovered and we are sitting there like wtf! how does that happen! Welker/Edelman are usually that reason..

I think there's a good chance Beasley will have a big impact on the Bills passing game. 

First off, he's a significant upgrade to McKenzie.  And don't forget that Allen was able to hit McKenzie on the type of short throws that make slot receivers so dangerous. 

Second, the Bills have added speed & another deep threat at WR.  With Brown & Foster split wide teams will have to respect the deeper patterns.  This is a slot receivers dream.  Combine this with Allen being able to hit almost any point on a football field means that there won't be a lot of nickle & free safety help to cover Beasley.  This will create exploitable match-up issues with LB's & strong safeties trying to cover this guy.

Third, short passes to slot receivers require timing.  The best way to disrupt these passes is with quick, up the middle pressure.  With last years O-line DT's were pushing the center & guards into Allen's face at the snap.  The upgrade of the O-line means that Allen will have that extra second without anyone in his face to make those throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he’s the key to Allen’s development and coaches evaluation.  

Beasley is a guy who finds gaps in the zone.  However, if you don’t have a QB who can get through his progressions and hit those short throws with accuracy, it won’t matter.  

If Allen can check his first two deep reads, then find Beasley in whatever adjustments he made, then yes. 

But not all QB’s get there 

No, definitely no.  The number 1 thing that can change the offense is the growth of Allen.  I think there is way too much excitement over Beasely outputs basically what Zay did last year.

2018: Zay Jones: 16 games, 56 cathes 652 yards 7 TD's

2018 Beasley: 16 games, 65 catches, 672 yards, 3 TD's.

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Cole does have sure hands but even he has not caught 62 mph zingers.

I do think that he can be the X factor in a few games. But his impact is going to be critically dependent on the OL, deep threats as well as the RB performance. Also we will have to see Allen’s short game touch to see if he can exploit Cole’s strengths.

I continue to believe that the most important acquisition in offense was Mitch Morse. He can allow Allen to step into the pocket and go through his progressions. Then we will know how good Allen is  as a pocket QB. (He is already great as a scrambling QB). This will also give Cole and others time to do their thing - which is get open.

In addition, Morse will get the o-line into the correct protection calls.  This was a problem last year.  I think this improvement will give Cole the chance to do his thing underneath.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mattynh said:

No, definitely no.  The number 1 thing that can change the offense is the growth of Allen.  I think there is way too much excitement over Beasely outputs basically what Zay did last year.

2018: Zay Jones: 16 games, 56 cathes 652 yards 7 TD's

2018 Beasley: 16 games, 65 catches, 672 yards, 3 TD's.

I dont disagree with what you said about Allen being the most important - but the question was about the "addition" this offseason. Also those comparisons of Jones and Beasley are very deceptive. Jones was in for 941 snaps - Beasley was underutilized - was in for only 712. Cole Beasley had 65 catches on just 87 targets. Zay had 102 targets. All Cole's games were consequential. Zay's best game was the inconsequential last game against Miami. This is not to piss on Zay - but more to say - let us cut Cole Beasley some slack. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I dont disagree with what you said about Allen being the most important - but the question was about the "addition" this offseason. Also those comparisons of Jones and Beasley are very deceptive. Jones was in for 941 snaps - Beasley was underutilized - was in for only 712. Cole Beasley had 65 catches on just 87 targets. Zay had 102 targets. All Cole's games were consequential. Zay's best game was the inconsequential last game against Miami. This is not to piss on Zay - but more to say - let us cut Cole Beasley some slack. 

Thank you. Was going to quote his post and put something very similar to this. You beat me to it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy