BR's Davenport: 2019 NFL GM Offseason Report Cards

For the Jets' ownership, B+ is a failing grade:)

New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan was one of busier executives this offseason—and the result is a drastically different team.

On offense, the Jets spent big to upgrade the backfield by signing three-time Pro Bowl tailback Le'Veon Bell (four years, $52.5 million). Second-year quarterback Sam Darnold has a new weapon in the passing game in veteran wideout Jamison Crowder. And Maccagnan bolstered the offensive line by bringing in guard Kelechi Osemele.

Defensively, the Jets spent even bigger, handing C.J. Mosley a massive five-year, $85 million contract to man the inside linebacker spot next to Avery Williamson. Defensive lineman Quinnen Williams, whom the Jets drafted third overall, was the No. 1 prospect on some draft boards. Third-round edge-rusher Jachai Polite has starter-level talent but needs refinement.

It wasn't a flawless offseason; $17 million a season for an inside linebacker is an overpay. But the Jets appear to be better than they were at this point last year. In fact, they look quite a bit better—good enough to challenge for the No. 2 spot in the AFC East…if Maccagnan and head coach Adam Gase can just get along.

GRADE: B+

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

9 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

He certainly made some head scratching moves but it is the old no pain no gain scenario.

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't hate the Gettleman moves-

The Jones draft pick was... bad.  Moving on from Vernon wasn't bad though.  As for losing ODB - they never won anything with him - and I think the comp they got was appropriate considering the brown trade before. Letting Collins walk sucks too.  However........... They replaced ODB jr. with Tate (net loss, but they at least replaced him with a solid vet), Jones gets to sit a year behind Manning (overdrafted, but doesn't mean he can't be successful with the right coaching), Collins got replaced in the ODB trade (peppers is a nice throw-in player), and the trade helped them up front on offense.  

They're honestly probably about the same as they were a year ago, and better set up for the future.  They now have a top-3 nfl running back, a QB of the future, and some pieces to improve a mediocre old defense.  They drafted beal with a 3rd round supplemental in 2018, and drafted Baker in the 1st this year which should ideally give them some corners to build around.  Lawrence should anchor the d-line. 

The previous structured team with beckham made the playoffs in 1 of 5 years - the 1 year their defense didn't suck.  

Beane made the necessary moves to allow this team to finally look like a competitor before TC. TC itself will be exciting b/c of the competitions he brought in at positions that have never fully experienced that from higher level talent. His and his scouts eyes on the defensive side of the ball have been above what I would expect. Allowing Ed Oliver to fall to them instead of pushing up for him has made the draft picks he used behind Ed look like good competition for roster spots. Never seen someone search and grab so many TE's in a position the Bills have lacked the want to improve on.

The offensive side of the ball has gone through night and day transformations starting with the most important, O-Line. He stopped reaching around for WR's that didnt fit our QB's needs. This off season how many WR's has he signed that extend their hands out to go reach for the ball thrown to them? How many have speed? This is what Josh Allen looks most comfortable around. Take a chance on a guy who will go out and grab the ball from the air, not the guy who will wait for it to bump his chest. Josh would've cracked Kelvin Benjamin's chest bone if Kelvin decided to catch the ball, instead he was making sure his chest never got hit by blocking it with his hands...

He gets an A among the other GM's in my mind. This year will be good if Josh Allen continues to get better, the defense will only get better. The O-line will be an upgrade just how much, our RB's are very good they just need better O-Line like has always been known. You get a good O-Line almost any RB will be good. WR/TE competition is the most exciting for me b/c I dont fully know past maybe 1-2.

23 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Beane made the necessary moves to allow this team to finally look like a competitor before TC. TC itself will be exciting b/c of the competitions he brought in at positions that have never fully experienced that from higher level talent. His and his scouts eyes on the defensive side of the ball have been above what I would expect. Allowing Ed Oliver to fall to them instead of pushing up for him has made the draft picks he used behind Ed look like good competition for roster spots. Never seen someone search and grab so many TE's in a position the Bills have lacked the want to improve on.

The offensive side of the ball has gone through night and day transformations starting with the most important, O-Line. He stopped reaching around for WR's that didnt fit our QB's needs. This off season how many WR's has he signed that extend their hands out to go reach for the ball thrown to them? How many have speed? This is what Josh Allen looks most comfortable around. Take a chance on a guy who will go out and grab the ball from the air, not the guy who will wait for it to bump his chest. Josh would've cracked Kelvin Benjamin's chest bone if Kelvin decided to catch the ball, instead he was making sure his chest never got hit by blocking it with his hands...

He gets an A among the other GM's in my mind. This year will be good if Josh Allen continues to get better, the defense will only get better. The O-line will be an upgrade just how much, our RB's are very good they just need better O-Line like has always been known. You get a good O-Line almost any RB will be good. WR/TE competition is the most exciting for me b/c I dont fully know past maybe 1-2.

...good assessment and I agree.......grade is based on paper so far with the season being the true test...hence an INCOMPLETE.......regardless of what the "Fire McBeane...Fire McDermott Gang" says, NOT realistic to expect EVERY FA and draftee/UDFA to pan out 100% in 2019......BUT....expectations for a significant improvement?.....despite all of the newness including coaches, CERTAINLY IMO.....