BR's Davenport: 2019 NFL GM Offseason Report Cards

..so how would you grade McBeane individually and against his peers?...

2019 NFL GM Offseason Report Cards

Gary Davenport -Bleacher Report   May 14, 2019

It falls to the players to physically win games in the NFL and to the head coaches and their staffs to devise the game plans those players execute. 

But there's one other person who is vital to each team's success: the general manager—the man who, as Bill Parcells once put it, "buys the groceries" that make up a roster.

Since the moment the 2018 season ended (and, frankly, well before that), GMs have been going about the business of making teams better. Of pursuing and signing free agents. Of scouting and drafting rookies. The hours are long. The pressure is high.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2835392-2019-nfl-gm-offseason-report-cards#slide0

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

He certainly made some head scratching moves but it is the old no pain no gain scenario.

As the Bills over the last 20 years demonstrate, pain doesn't necessarily result in gain ... and winning or losing the off-season counts for nothing if you don't win when the games count for real.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i'm shocked this thread has been alive this long, and no one had made the obligatory post about if the grades are good, the board loves the author, and if bad, can't stand him.  everyone is slipping a bit today.

• Haha (+1) 4

Cardinals should get a F-

As for Bills, I like many of the signings and picks.  I didn't much care for the guard signings until the landed Spain.  Same for the OT signings but with Ford drafted the group looks solid now for present and future. Oliver was my fourth choice after Allen, trade down, and Hockenson but with two of the three gone and probably no good value to trade down Oliver was the right choice.  

My only worry is I do not recall another franchise signing as many free agents and making it work. New England with BB first two years perhaps. Can anyone else think of an example that had this much roster turnover and panned out?  On paper the line and WR group looks so much better.  But almost the entire offense will be new.  Incredible challenge for Daboll but far better than trotting out the same group of below average guys they had last year.

They gave better grades than the Bills to the Colts, Browns, Eagles, and the 49ers. Surprised the Patriots didn't get an A since they usually get it automatically because... well because because.

Edited by MJS

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

They gave better grades than the Bills to the Colts, Browns, Eagles, and the 49ers. Surprised the Patriots didn't get an A since they usually get it automatically because... well because because.

I’m not buying the Browns. OBJ is great but the Giants won that trade. TheGiants should have taken Allen. They could have gotten a QB later in the first.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so how would you grade McBeane individually and against his peers?...

2019 NFL GM Offseason Report Cards

Gary Davenport -Bleacher Report   May 14, 2019

It falls to the players to physically win games in the NFL and to the head coaches and their staffs to devise the game plans those players execute. 

But there's one other person who is vital to each team's success: the general manager—the man who, as Bill Parcells once put it, "buys the groceries" that make up a roster.

Since the moment the 2018 season ended (and, frankly, well before that), GMs have been going about the business of making teams better. Of pursuing and signing free agents. Of scouting and drafting rookies. The hours are long. The pressure is high.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2835392-2019-nfl-gm-offseason-report-cards#slide0

Agree on the Bills' grade.  They have had a great offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m not buying the Browns. OBJ is great but the Giants won that trade. TheGiants should have taken Allen. They could have gotten a QB later in the first.

But if they didn't take a QB first, then everyone would be saying Gettleman is an idiot for not getting one then and waiting.

I agree with the Browns comment, so much love is being given to them for making some flashy moves, that's always the recipe for winning the offseason, but not always the receipt for winning on the field. They could very well continue just being the Browns but with some bigger names.

As for the Bills, I'm skeptical on how this season will play out. It's not common to see a roster have so many new players brought in and get turned around right away. They will need to start clicking and working together right away to be successful, other wise it was just a bad offseason with a bunch of signings

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cardinals should get a F-

As for Bills, I like many of the signings and picks.  I didn't much care for the guard signings until the landed Spain.  Same for the OT signings but with Ford drafted the group looks solid now for present and future. Oliver was my fourth choice after Allen, trade down, and Hockenson but with two of the three gone and probably no good value to trade down Oliver was the right choice.  

My only worry is I do not recall another franchise signing as many free agents and making it work. New England with BB first two years perhaps. Can anyone else think of an example that had this much roster turnover and panned out?  On paper the line and WR group looks so much better.  But almost the entire offense will be new.  Incredible challenge for Daboll but far better than trotting out the same group of below average guys they had last year.

The D didnt change much and our O and STs were that bad.  It will take time for this team to gel.  Hopefully the D can hold down the fort til then.  It nice to see you looking at things realistically.  I think we could be an Offensive powerhouse by week 10.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The Giants took on a crap ton of dead cap in that trade since they JUST extended him. I don't think they won anything this off season.