Sign in to follow this  
HurlyBurly51

SundayTicket.TV Question

I’m hoping you guys who have subscribed to the DirecTV online only streaming version of the Sunday Ticket can help me with a question.  I have had the online Ticket for a number of years now, after having had the dish since the beginning.  Somehow my address came up as eligible, even though I previously had the dish at this same address.

Anyway, my question is, I will be moving this summer to a house that almost certainly will not be eligible.  And I don’t know anyone with college accounts, etc. to work around that.  

So, I am currently on auto renew, so if I let that renew and pay with the same credit card that will probably have my new address tied to it, can I still stream it through my Apple TV anyway?   Or will they have some kind of cross referencing software or geo locator that would block the games for me?  

Hope I explained that situation well enough for some informed individuals to provide better insight!  I don’t want workarounds, either I can somehow continue getting this service, or it’s back to the dish or local pub, both highly undesirable (not that I have anything against pubs😁)

Posted (edited)

I can't answer the whole question, but in order to be eligible for online, even if you live in a place that is not eligible, you have to tell them that your landlord won't allow you to get a dish put on the new place. You have to get consent from your landlord before you stick a dish on their property, so you simply have to say the landlord did not consent. Even if you are a homeowner, just pretend that you aren't and that your landlord would not give you permission to install the dish. This has worked for a few buddies of mine. It's a bit of a loophole/workaround. Hope that makes sense. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

Don't move 😀

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I’m hoping you guys who have subscribed to the DirecTV online only streaming version of the Sunday Ticket can help me with a question.  I have had the online Ticket for a number of years now, after having had the dish since the beginning.  Somehow my address came up as eligible, even though I previously had the dish at this same address.

Anyway, my question is, I will be moving this summer to a house that almost certainly will not be eligible.  And I don’t know anyone with college accounts, etc. to work around that.  

So, I am currently on auto renew, so if I let that renew and pay with the same credit card that will probably have my new address tied to it, can I still stream it through my Apple TV anyway?   Or will they have some kind of cross referencing software or geo locator that would block the games for me?  

Hope I explained that situation well enough for some informed individuals to provide better insight!  I don’t want workarounds, either I can somehow continue getting this service, or it’s back to the dish or local pub, both highly undesirable (not that I have anything against pubs😁)

Good question. I am like you (house can't get DirecTV, which is so great)--except I've not moved. I am curious if anyone has insights. Please also post an update if/when you find out. 

6 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

(1) Find literally any address that is eligible (sounds like your soon-to-be-old-place). 

(2) Keep/change your credit card to that address at the time DTV charges They should give some indication when they bill. 

(3) After they bill, change address to your new place. 

I use an OLD Seattle apartment address for this every year. DTV only looks at your CC + Address at the time of billing. They don't monitor during the season. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So, I am currently on auto renew,

some general commentary

Step 1.  Ask to get off of Auto Renew (even though they ignore this)

Step 2.  As a long time customer bargain for a better price 

Step 3.  If your address is eligible then don't tell them otherwise.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I have moved 6 times in the last 10 years (Buffalo, Tucson, VB, DC, back to VB, and now Hoboken).  Each place had full DTV access. However I’ve used DTV streaming at each place. All they require is, when you sign up to “promise” that you don’t have DirectTv access (it’s literally a checkbox on the site after some legalese I ignored). They don’t check, they don’t come look, they don’t care as long as you pay. 

Also, and this is a bit more “controversial” but to sign up for a student account, they do check records. But all that means is they need name and DOB of any current college student and they do an immediate check somehow. That said, every college football team lists their roster with DOB. Am I saying that for the last two seasons I’ve been a random middle linebacker from ODU? I’m not not saying that. But the college student plan is $99 vs $349 for others. If you were to do this, and OF COURSE I’m not recommending it, I probably wouldn’t use Tua, but pick a middle tier college team, click the roster, and BOOM. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

(1) Find literally any address that is eligible (sounds like your soon-to-be-old-place). 

(2) Keep/change your credit card to that address at the time DTV charges They should give some indication when they bill. 

I use an OLD Seattle apartment address for this every year. DTV only looks at your CC + Address at the time of billing. They don't monitor during the season. 

If you use a mobile - they may be able to limit access due to your physical location.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3145723/directv-now-faq-all-the-details-on-atts-new-streaming-tv-service.html

Your regional sports channels are only available when you’re inside the coverage area. This is based on your billing address, and verified by your IP address (for TV devices) or your physical location (for mobile devices).

Any other caveats?

NFL games are not available to stream on mobile devices, due to an exclusivity deal between Verizon and the league. The same restriction applies to other streaming bundles such as Sling TV and PlayStation Vue. Fortunately, you’ll be able to stream those games on your phone for free during the 2018-2019 season, even if you’re not a Verizon Wireless customer.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you use a mobile - they may be able to limit access due to your physical location.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3145723/directv-now-faq-all-the-details-on-atts-new-streaming-tv-service.html

Your regional sports channels are only available when you’re inside the coverage area. This is based on your billing address, and verified by your IP address (for TV devices) or your physical location (for mobile devices).

Any other caveats?

NFL games are not available to stream on mobile devices, due to an exclusivity deal between Verizon and the league. The same restriction applies to other streaming bundles such as Sling TV and PlayStation Vue. Fortunately, you’ll be able to stream those games on your phone for free during the 2018-2019 season, even if you’re not a Verizon Wireless customer.

I've never had an issue using the Apple TV app and I am "physically" out of market anyway. 

Easy workaround is to stream it via the app either with Roku or AppleTv or Firestick, whatever platform you use.

I do it yearly, and I use a shared account that costs around $35-40.

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

I've never had an issue using the Apple TV app and I am "physically" out of market anyway. 

Maybe the"home" market is where you live.  

last year using my account in south Florida (my home is in Virginia) looking at games on NFL Ticket,  it know where the device was and blacked out the Miami game. 

Right - I am also in NOVA, so I assume that would apply... but that is why I am using Seattle because we basically never play there. 

Ah yes, the good old reliable (?) DirecTV threads...always find these helpful.  My contract ends in August and I'm giving it one more try to get a decent price on ST.  Last season was the first one I haven't had ST since 2000...the price was simply too high and I couldn't negotiate a discount.  If the same happens this August, it's adios DTV.  

And by the looks of things, this may be the last season DTV has the exclusive ST contract.  The NFL is looking to expand its streaming options, and DTV doesn't look to be in the running for 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Ah yes, the good old reliable (?) DirecTV threads...always find these helpful.  My contract ends in August and I'm giving it one more try to get a decent price on ST.  Last season was the first one I haven't had ST since 2000...the price was simply too high and I couldn't negotiate a discount.  If the same happens this August, it's adios DTV.  

And by the looks of things, this may be the last season DTV has the exclusive ST contract.  The NFL is looking to expand its streaming options, and DTV doesn't look to be in the running for 2020.

I've had DTV and the Sunday Ticket and Center Ice for over 20 years and last year they would not give any discount whatsoever.

I finally had enough and stopped DTV and started streaming in March.  Wouldn't you know it they "want me back" with all kinds

of deeply discounted packages ($35.00 a month for Choice Package) including Sunday Ticket for free and a $200,00 gift card.

The pricing is for 1 year and the 2nd year is at full cost.

I am really liking the streaming experience and have found some "alternative" streaming sites to watch football and hockey.

I'm not sure if I will go that route or not.

I need to make my mind up by August whether or not I go back to DTV with a basic package for this season.

If things change with the NFL and DTV next year and I do get DTV again it's almost worth the $20.00 per month cancellation fee for 2020.

3 hours ago, stevestojan said:

I have moved 6 times in the last 10 years (Buffalo, Tucson, VB, DC, back to VB, and now Hoboken).  Each place had full DTV access. However I’ve used DTV streaming at each place. All they require is, when you sign up to “promise” that you don’t have DirectTv access (it’s literally a checkbox on the site after some legalese I ignored). They don’t check, they don’t come look, they don’t care as long as you pay. 

Also, and this is a bit more “controversial” but to sign up for a student account, they do check records. But all that means is they need name and DOB of any current college student and they do an immediate check somehow. That said, every college football team lists their roster with DOB. Am I saying that for the last two seasons I’ve been a random middle linebacker from ODU? I’m not not saying that. But the college student plan is $99 vs $349 for others. If you were to do this, and OF COURSE I’m not recommending it, I probably wouldn’t use Tua, but pick a middle tier college team, click the roster, and BOOM. 

Brilliant!  But how do you set up your account with your email and pay with credit card under your name?  They don't check that?  PM me if this is getting out of TOS bounds.

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Thanks - I was thinking that as well, but that's just a 1 year fix, right?

2 hours ago, Plano said:

Easy workaround is to stream it via the app either with Roku or AppleTv or Firestick, whatever platform you use.

I do it yearly, and I use a shared account that costs around $35-40.

Thanks.  So what I am gathering from everyone's feedback is just pay as usual and it shouldn't be an issue when the season rolls around.

I do use Apple TV, not a mobile, and am out of the Bills market.  So I thought they may be able to check IP while watching and determine you shouldn't be getting the streaming at all.  If they don't do that, getting Bills games won't be an issue, as just my local team has been blacked out over the years.

40 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Brilliant!  But how do you set up your account with your email and pay with credit card under your name?  They don't check that?  PM me if this is getting out of TOS bounds.

I was in college for 2014-2017 season. It verifies instantly because I got my Masters in May of 2018, and by August, I was already ineligible.  

So for 2018, I used my younger brothers college info.  It was tricky, and I don’t remember why.  I think it had something to do with using my card, and my ZIP code maybe?  I don’t remember.  Anyways, I remember it worked when I did it through PayPal.  Again, I don’t remember the details of why it didn’t work easily, or if it was user error, but I just remember that PayPal worked. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I've had DTV and the Sunday Ticket and Center Ice for over 20 years and last year they would not give any discount whatsoever.

In 2017 I got the NFL package for $100.  In 2018 they said that offer wasn't available but I still got the package at a reduced rate because I "whined" to Customer retention. 

30 to 40 minutes of time can save you hundreds.  

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In 2017 I got the NFL package for $100.  In 2018 they said that offer wasn't available but I still got the package at a reduced rate because I "whined" to Customer retention. 

30 to 40 minutes of time can save you hundreds.  

Last year I got the we can't budge on the price BUT we can give you $50 a month off. Gee save 600 and pay 300. Sold.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

PM sent to you, you up and coming D1 no-name athlete. 

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Last year I got the we can't budge on the price BUT we can give you $50 a month off. Gee save 600 and pay 300. Sold.

that's usually what happens...I don't ask for Ticket discount...I ask if any discounts available on my account...got $60 off month for 12 months...that pays for it...plus usually get free movies for a few months

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

the Full blown package is $350 ish 

the Full blown package with a discount is $250 ish 

the package I got was $180 ish. 

For that I got what I needed - Bills games, Red Zone and 8 games at once channel.   

1 minute ago, nucci said:

that's usually what happens...I don't ask for Ticket discount...I ask if any discounts available on my account...got $60 off month for 12 months...that pays for it...plus usually get free movies for a few months

Go BIG and ask for everything 

My monthly bill is under $130 and that includes basically all the pay channels.   I have to call them in 2 weeks to re-up my $60 off month for 12 months discount. 

During the Football season I pay $170 to $180 a month. 

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the Full blown package is $350 ish 

the Full blown package with a discount is $250 ish 

the package I got was $180 ish. 

For that I got what I needed - Bills games, Red Zone and 8 games at once channel.   

Go BIG and ask for everything 

My monthly bill is under $130 and that includes basically all the pay channels.   I have to call them in 2 weeks to re-up my $60 off month for 12 months discount. 

During the Football season I pay $170 to $180 a month. 

Nice....gearing up for the call, though last year i did it on live chat

Just now, nucci said:

Nice....gearing up for the call, though last year i did it on live chat

the first service group doesn't have the access to the other benefit packages and thats why you have to ask for Customer Retention.   Its actually called something else by AT&T 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the first service group doesn't have the access to the other benefit packages and thats why you have to ask for Customer Retention.   Its actually called something else by AT&T 

I think it's called customer loyalty now

• Like (+1) 1