Story on ex-NFL Raven guard and Buffalo Mathematician John Urschel

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Wings are awesome, blue cheese is not.

Its a math thread i hate math , you dont have to like a topic to comment on it  , its ok to share different opinions.

It's a thread about John Urschel, Buffalo homeboy who played NFL football and is very good at math.

But never mind. 

4 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Funny story about Urschel. 

While at Psu, players would miss spring practice days for various reasons. If they weren’t at practice their names would be on a board with different colors too signify the reason for missing practice. For instance, black meant personal reason, red meant injured, green meant player had a class or test, etc. 

one day Urschel was late for practice and his name was in purple. Bill OBrien (head coach at the time) asks one of the staff “where the hell is urachel and why is his name in purple”. 

Staff says “purple means he’s teaching a class.”

True story. 

I read in an article when Urschel applied to MIT's doctoral program, he told Ravens coach John Harbaugh he planned to spend the off season in Boston working on his degree.

Harbaugh nodded - they approve of and support players finishing their college degrees, after all - and went back to what he was doing.

Then later, it surfaced: "wait .... what does that mean? what degree? that was Urschel...he has a bachelor's degree AND a masters degree already."

• Haha (+1) 1

CivicScience Inc. a research firm out of Pittsburgh did a recent poll on mathematics instruction. Out of ~4000 respondents 56% of Americans believe that Arabic numerals should not be taught in American schools.???

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

CivicScience Inc. a research firm out of Pittsburgh did a recent poll on mathematics instruction. Out of ~4000 respondents 56% of Americans believe that Arabic numerals should not be taught in American schools.???

Does not surprise me.  I wonder how many people when polled just hung up on pollster.  Doing that is a sign of intelligence and I am sure IF they were added the percentage would go down.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Stands to reason in the science denial era we live in today. I wonder how many of that 56% are also flat Earthers. 

One time I was working as a custodian at Harvard and I came across an equation that was thought impossible to solve. I solved it and professor stellan Skarsgard saw my work and wanted to groom me to become a corporate guy in a think tank, I knew that wasn't for me so I went back to breaking rocks with my best friend Ben Affleck. 

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Maybe we can go to Roman Numerals.  That would be fun.